December 16, 2017, 03:49:41 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 207550 times)

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGEATHERAD
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »
My new CTs are awesome.
Less work than last year.
I hear birds and my fingers don't ache from the cold.

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »
My school changed my schedule now I don't teach any classes on Mondays and enjoy a nice easy day to the start of the week.

My Mondays used to be that way... but then it just made Mondays seem atrociously long... making the whole week seem longer. I dreaded Mondays. I would rather have a couple classes to help the time go by.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline Angelinkorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2016, 11:52:45 AM »
Angelinkorea, you needed to step up there. You let a 6th grader go unpunished for hitting another student, and a younger student at that.

Meh. Kids hit each other. Kids will always hit each other. At least they did it for a good reason: making me happy.  :smiley: To be honest I am very comfortable with kids getting a smack for being a***oles. I was raised that way and I'm fine, and my mother hits a lot harder than a 13 year old Korean girl.

Also, technically I did not let anything go unpunished. I heard some noises and walked on. Maybe they were clapping. Maybe one of the boys fell and started crying. How can I punish what I didn't see?  :wink:

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
My students are clever, confident, and they make laugh. Every morning, I grumble and moan about having to work, how much I'd rather be in bed, etc. But by first period, I'm already laughing.

I work at a great school, and I'm very fortunate for this opportunity.

Totally agree with this, my students make my day every day  :cheesy:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Wow, who knew Waygook could vomit rainbows and sunshine like this.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »
Returned to my main school today (after teaching at a travel one) and found a set of stickers on my desk. Each sticker has a random little drawing and then my name printed in hangul!

I have no idea why but what a great surprise!   ;D

Offline MissSA

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »
I FIGURED OUT MY WATER HEATING SYSTEM AND FINALLY FOUND EARL GREY TEA (that didn't taste like reconstituted flowers).

No srsly, the ability to take a perfect temperature shower is so wonderful. Top that off with some good quality tea, and this homesickness can simply gtfo.

I love this new thread. Waygook often seems like such a pessimistic place, that can be quite miserable for a first timer like me.

Offline MeaghanAshley25

• Newgookin
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Nobody cried in my class today. Any day that nobody cries is a good day.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »
Nice, it took me like 3 months to figure out my water heating! Like it'd be scalding for a few second then drop to freezing. After a ton of googling I managed to find the solution. Now showers are awesome!

Nobody cried in my class today. Any day that nobody cries is a good day.

:huh: What grade(s) do you teach?? Is there usually crying??

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »
The lady who works at my drycleaner is awesome. She greats me by name.

Costco wool dress pants are one of the few off the rack items i can wear here, so I see her a couple times a week.

Today, 4 pairs of pants and a suit jacket.... 13500 ₩ ... but wait!

She asked, "coupon?"

"No coupon today."

"Today coupon 6000₩! Your total 7500₩"

"Kahamsanida!"

I highly recommend Cleantopia just off Sapyeong Dearo in Banpo-dong.

Offline friendofcletus

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 07:02:08 AM »
Spring is a wonderful time here: my bike ride to work was rewarding with the chance to see a variety of water fowl, blossoming tress, and a freshly cleaned up walking path along the water way.

And my co-teachers are great this year. They are nice combination of being interested in educating and being laid back.

Hope you people out there in internetville have a fantastic day.

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 08:03:36 AM »
I've experienced random acts of kindness in Korea several times, but not in a while. Yesterday while I was waiting for the bus home from one of my rural schools, a Coca Cola delivery truck stopped across the street to drop off drinks to a couple local small convenience stores. The street here is very narrow.

As they were getting in their truck to leave, a young guy hops out the passenger side and jogs over to give me a small grape soda and a bottled water. Typically I don't drink any soda/carbonated beverage(besides beer), but I happily enjoyed the grape drink as they Uturned and left.

Was a nice way to cap off a Monday that, while typically is filled with unruly brats, was unusually calm and tolerable today.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 09:24:57 AM »
My school changed my schedule now I don't teach any classes on Mondays and enjoy a nice easy day to the start of the week.

My Mondays used to be that way... but then it just made Mondays seem atrociously long... making the whole week seem longer. I dreaded Mondays. I would rather have a couple classes to help the time go by.

My classes finish at 3pm on monday this year. Only gotta do lesson planning for 2 hours in the afternoon now. Got 1st period free, then 3 classes, then lunch then another 2 clasees, so it's a pretty easy schedule too. Really makes the day fly. Much better than sitting at a desk the whole day.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 10:39:58 AM »
I'm usually the first to vomit sunshine and rainbows, but that typo in the thread title is driving me nuts!

Anywho, got a wedding to go to (as opposed to the far more frequent funeral), a birthday party to attend (cake and booze for everyone!), and it's finally staying light long enough to go hiking and cycling after school! 아사!
Oh, and my overtime cheques are looking pretty fat this month. ^^

Offline notjeffery

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 10:52:46 AM »
I climbed into a bus this morning that had been refurbished, which was nice.

Offline Angelinkorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »
Just right now. I opened this thread and saw the avatar of the OP. For some reason the thread title and the picture made me imagine a crowd of happy seals tripped out on Ees and bobbing their heads to some old Paul Oakenfold in a warehouse.

Image still in my head and keeping a smile on my face. The kids who clean the English room are going to learn about Happy Hardcore today.

Aceeeeeeeeed!!!!!

Offline Hot6^

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
I'm usually the first to vomit sunshine and rainbows, but that typo in the thread title is driving me nuts!

Anywho, got a wedding to go to (as opposed to the far more frequent funeral), a birthday party to attend (cake and booze for everyone!), and it's finally staying light long enough to go hiking and cycling after school! 아사!

Yeah. lol, it's like saying Ikea, but not.

You should go to the parties exclaiming to everyone how your checks are, Super Heavy Weight.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The SECOND I clicked to edit my post, the mod submitted an edit.  Fixed and fixed!  I think because it was in all caps and late at night (for me) I glazed over it and never noticed :huh:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 12:17:40 PM »
Just right now. I opened this thread and saw the avatar of the OP. For some reason the thread title and the picture made me imagine a crowd of happy seals tripped out on Ees and bobbing their heads to some old Paul Oakenfold in a warehouse.

Image still in my head and keeping a smile on my face. The kids who clean the English room are going to learn about Happy Hardcore today.

Aceeeeeeeeed!!!!!

I felt like that seal perfectly encapsulates how I just silently internalize all the hilariously awkward shit that happens to me while living here. :laugh:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 12:38:48 PM »
Found out today that all English teaches have 4th period free, so we're going to start dipping out for lunch twice a month.  Our school lunch kind of sucks, so whoop whoop~!