November 19, 2018, 11:36:45 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378834 times)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1860 on: June 16, 2017, 02:12:30 PM »
Alesso. Pendulum is good, but sometimes they're a bit too erratic sounding for my taste. I like Alesso's lyrical songs, like "Under Control" and "Heroes." I mostly stayed at the main stage the whole time. I did wander around Resistance a little bit, and I was at the live stage for KSHMR, who was amazing.

Well, we can agree on KSHMR, that guy rocked it.

Hahaha, erratic? Also, at Ultra Singapore (same lineup as Korea just different days) Pendulum did their set AND one of the other DJs pulled a sickie so Rob and Gareth covered for him with a 40 minute Knife PArty set. JEALLLOOUUUSSSSSSSSSSS
Maybe erratic isn't the right word. Too high energy? Too intense? I'm not sure how to explain it, but that music just doesn't do anything for me. Vocal trance is my preferred form of electronic music, so that really fast stuff is fine in small doses, but just not for me, generally.  I saw Knife Party at last year's Ultra, but I don't remember it very well.  :-[

donovan

« Reply #1861 on: June 16, 2017, 02:14:52 PM »
Lol well that blows XD We don't have a badminton club, we play volleyball with another school sometimes (I work at that school too so I switch between teams) but our badminton was just the usual 5th grade gym period. We played super casually and ended up doing more like keep up to see who could keep hitting back and forth the longest. If they were competitive I'm sure I could take some kids no problem after years of playing snow badminton in the middle of the street at like 1 am.

I like your way better.

And thanks for reading all that~ 8)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1862 on: June 16, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »
Lol well that blows XD We don't have a badminton club, we play volleyball with another school sometimes (I work at that school too so I switch between teams) but our badminton was just the usual 5th grade gym period. We played super casually and ended up doing more like keep up to see who could keep hitting back and forth the longest. If they were competitive I'm sure I could take some kids no problem after years of playing snow badminton in the middle of the street at like 1 am.

I like your way better.

And thanks for reading all that~ 8)

Lol no problem :P

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1863 on: June 20, 2017, 09:56:47 PM »
I just noticed I got a new "rank".

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1864 on: June 22, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
Just discovered a USB fan in my desk! My cubicle just got that much better.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1865 on: June 22, 2017, 02:47:01 PM »
The teachers played t-ball against the 6th graders yesterday, and even though they destroyed us it was really fun. Afterwards we went to dinner at a place with chairs which was great because I hate sitting on the floor for hours.

Today I had the same 4th grade class twice in one day and normally dislike that because the kids seem so bored the second time around, but this class is well-behaved and they were really engaged during both lessons. ;D

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1866 on: June 22, 2017, 03:03:27 PM »
Creepy A~hole is supposed to transfer at the end of July!! Rumor has it that everyone is happy about it! Here's hoping his replacement is normal!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #1867 on: June 23, 2017, 09:42:13 AM »
The cleaning lady at my school is an old adjumma.  She could be anywhere between the ages of 60 - 200.  I just have no idea.  Just now she was collecting the rubbish and the recycling next to the teachers' room, and let out a very audible fart.  Now I have the fart sound ringing in my ears, and maybe for the rest of my life.  Farts, I think, are very funny in the right time and place.  This was now.   What to do?

Just whiff the air and say, "고소해요" and the wink at her.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1868 on: June 23, 2017, 10:42:53 AM »
The Steam summer sale has started. My entire wishlist went on sale. (It was pretty short.) Time to add more games that I won't get around to for months - if ever - to the library.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1869 on: June 23, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
I have Aircon!!!! Finally!!! AND my new English handler/contact is so damn hot/cute and very young. But the cougar in me is just rawrrrr.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1870 on: June 26, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »
The Steam summer sale has started. My entire wishlist went on sale. (It was pretty short.) Time to add more games that I won't get around to for months - if ever - to the library.

I'm trying to ignore the sales until I actually play more of the games I already have. I feel like the same ones will go on sale again anyway... the 75% off ones sure are tempting though.

In other news, off to Japan again because I got a stupid good deal to Fukuoka and found stupid cheap lodging (airbnb FTW). Gonna explore more of the Kyushu region beyond Fukuoka since I'll have more time. Stoked for the food~

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1871 on: June 26, 2017, 11:04:04 AM »

I'm trying to ignore the sales until I actually play more of the games I already have. I feel like the same ones will go on sale again anyway... the 75% off ones sure are tempting though.

In other news, off to Japan again because I got a stupid good deal to Fukuoka and found stupid cheap lodging (airbnb FTW). Gonna explore more of the Kyushu region beyond Fukuoka since I'll have more time. Stoked for the food~
Gah, I really want to go to Fukuoka! My bf went last summer and he loved it too, so he is up to going again with me, but now we just need to figure out when.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1872 on: June 26, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
Finally booked my tickets back to Shanghai for summer vacation! Already thinking what I can bring back for my coworkers, they're all so nice so I want to show them I really appreciate them. It's a really short flight too and I'm just excited to be going back to a place where I'm comfortable and I can talk to ANYONE. Also Disneyland :D
Oh! I'm going to Shanghai too, but for just a very short time. One day in downtown, one day in Disneyland.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1873 on: June 26, 2017, 12:04:29 PM »

Gah, I really want to go to Fukuoka! My bf went last summer and he loved it too, so he is up to going again with me, but now we just need to figure out when.

Do it!! I went for a few days over Golden week and was so sad when I had to leave! I was thinking about Kyoto/Osaka this summer but flights to Fukuoka were so cheap I couldn't resist! (Check out Air Busan's website directly. Found a better deal than Google showed me) It's a super affordable Japanese vacation destination.

Some notable things off the top of my head: Ramen Stadium, Owl Cafe, Ohori Park.  I am in love with that park, it is so gorgeous.  Shopping is pretty good too if you're into that.  I indulged heavily at the Pokemon Center and SugiBee (flavored honey shop-- blueberry is the best). And at a Studio Ghibli themed store in Dazaifu (short train ride from Fukuoka, easy day trip or half day trip) which is right beside Sugibee (free samples!).

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1874 on: June 26, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »

Do it!! I went for a few days over Golden week and was so sad when I had to leave! I was thinking about Kyoto/Osaka this summer but flights to Fukuoka were so cheap I couldn't resist! (Check out Air Busan's website directly. Found a better deal than Google showed me) It's a super affordable Japanese vacation destination.

Some notable things off the top of my head: Ramen Stadium, Owl Cafe, Ohori Park.  I am in love with that park, it is so gorgeous.  Shopping is pretty good too if you're into that.  I indulged heavily at the Pokemon Center and SugiBee (flavored honey shop-- blueberry is the best). And at a Studio Ghibli themed store in Dazaifu (short train ride from Fukuoka, easy day trip or half day trip) which is right beside Sugibee (free samples!).
Yeah, I would love to make the trip to Dazaifu too. I don't care too much about shopping, but good to know it's an option if the mood were to strike. When he went, he went to some famous peep shaped cakeplace which was good, he brought one back. It just seems like it could be so relaxing, with all the baths and things and the park. I went to an Owl Cafe in Tokyo, which was a lot of fun, I would do it again.

If you do make it Osaka sometime, I did that and Kyoto for a week and loved it!

Online elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #1875 on: June 26, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Schedule for the week:
Today- CoT has classes storyboarding a video he wants them to make.  Everything is happening in Korean.  I just sit there, look interested, and start Summer Camp planning.
Tomorrow- I might get the chance to do some teaching, but it'll probably be a repeat of today. Luckily, I get to skip out of my travel school a 4 hours early to go on a teachers' trip with my main school. It actually sounds like a really fun trip this year.
Weds- Open class with my incredibly awesome, intelligent and vibrant Gr. 6's.  The only thing I'm worried about is keeping with the structured lesson plan I had to submit.  I tend to go a little more free-form with this class just because they are so good, so I allow for more student-directed learning (plus anything is better than following the shitty textbooks).
Then the rest of my classes for the week are cancelled  because the students are away on a trip.  I'm going to spend my time catching up on Summer Camp prep and planning my summer vacation (and maybe watching a bit of Netflix). This week is basically a paid holiday! ;D 8) :azn:

Online elsbethm

• Veteran
« Reply #1876 on: June 26, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »

Lucky. Curious - what textbooks are you using? Some of them are awful, but most of the current wave of textbooks are pretty decent.

YBM.  I don't absolutely hate the textbooks.  Some of the language is awkward and most of the activities suck, but I appreciate not having to plan my own curriculum. 
I'm being salty because we're about to start the strangest lesson chapter I have ever seen.  I've found a solution to it though.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1877 on: June 26, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »

Lucky. Curious - what textbooks are you using? Some of them are awful, but most of the current wave of textbooks are pretty decent.

YBM.  I don't absolutely hate the textbooks.  Some of the language is awkward and most of the activities suck, but I appreciate not having to plan my own curriculum. 
I'm being salty because we're about to start the strangest lesson chapter I have ever seen.  I've found a solution to it though.
I use all 3 brands and YBM is probably the worst. The sentences aren't usually too bad but I can't understand the Korean mom in the 3rd adn 4th grade books sometimes. If I didn't know the target sentences I'd be lost on what she was saying half the time because every sentence is one big slurred word from her.
"watoryoodoeeng?"
The kids mimic her and then learn ther bad habbit adn then I get to correct it, just for her to show up in another video and ruin their pronounciation.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1878 on: June 26, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »
Curious - what textbooks are you using? Some of them are awful, but most of the current wave of textbooks are pretty decent.
Chunjae book 2. They're not completely dreadful, but they could be much better. The chants are awkward, and the book doesn't really inspire the kids to think for themselves very much. Also there's a lot of wasted space, and pages with just pictures. They should at least have a vocab list and grammar explanations in each chapter. Also some of the phrases are just plain weird. I've never said "shake your body" in my life.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1879 on: June 28, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »
One of my favorite classes derailed for near 10 minutes because one student randomly asked what "회" was in English.  This turned into a brief informational session on "sushi" vs "sashimi" vs "makizushi" vs "kimbap" complete with googling for images for everyone to drool over.   :laugh:  There was lots of excited chattering in English so I didn't mind the delay in starting the day's lesson. 

And, we still got through the lesson with plenty of time to play a game to completion!