December 16, 2017, 03:53:32 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 207551 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1740 on: April 14, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »
My school is really nice.  At dinner the other night, they asked if I wanted to order something else because the main course was pretty spicy.  I declined but the offer was very kind.  The teacher who's in charge of planning dinners seemed to think he'd made a mistake but I insisted that I was fine (literally, there's all this banchan that I'm happy to eat).  We can't avoid eating spicy fare just because one person can't handle it. 

He even suggested they buy ice cream for me afterward, hahah.  I didn't feel like it but he ended up buying a big bunch of bananas and insisted on giving me a few.  Well I'm certainly not gonna turn down free fruit!  :laugh:

So, the funny thing about HALT FOREIGNER: THIS DISH IS SPICY is that I seem to repeatedly meet Koreans who can't handle/don't like spicy food at all. Whoa, turns out people are different.

Anyway, it's Friiiiiiday. No classes. Next week is midterm review, midterms after that. Everything is in bloom but it's not oppressively hot yet. My principal is taking me to lunch for
"noodles." Then there's that sweet break in May. Life is good.  8)  8)  8)

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1741 on: April 14, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
I had my first lessons in my new job today and it was a DREAM.
Japanese kids > Korean kids > Vietnamese kids  :laugh:. Tiny class sizes & a great schedule help too. I'm having a celebratory mojito!

Are you in Japan now??? Or an international school or some such?? Super exciting either way :)  Glad things are working well for you.

Well this is a pleasant morning! I just received a lovely bouquet of flowers~  For some reason there was a big delivery of flowers and the art teacher is passing them out like candy  :laugh:

I'm still in Vietnam! Working in the Japanese International School. Thank you  ;D I was really lucky to get the job so I'm excited to get into it!

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1742 on: April 14, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
Japanese kids > Korean kids > Vietnamese kids  :laugh:. Tiny class sizes & a great schedule help too. I'm having a celebratory mojito!

Are you in Japan now??? Or an international school or some such?? Super exciting either way :)  Glad things are working well for you.

Well this is a pleasant morning! I just received a lovely bouquet of flowers~  For some reason there was a big delivery of flowers and the art teacher is passing them out like candy  :laugh:

I'm still in Vietnam! Working in the Japanese International School. Thank you  ;D I was really lucky to get the job so I'm excited to get into it!

Best of both worlds then: access to delicious mojitos AND well behaved children. I'm a little  jealous.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1743 on: April 14, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »

Best of both worlds then: access to delicious mojitos AND well behaved children. I'm a little  jealous.

haha, that's all i need in life. a decent mojito and some well-behaved kids

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1744 on: April 14, 2017, 01:30:05 PM »
2000 posts. I have ascended.

You will now refer to me as......................오빠

Offline schnieppster

• Adventurer
« Reply #1745 on: April 14, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

노빠.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1746 on: April 14, 2017, 01:36:49 PM »

So many hours spent discussing education and pedagogy on teachers' website Waygook.org.

페다 고기?

That's a new animal?

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1747 on: April 14, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »

Congratulations Legend CO2

8)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1748 on: April 14, 2017, 01:52:47 PM »
It's short for 페퍼닭고기... GOSH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING YIKES.

퍼퍼 블레스

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1749 on: April 14, 2017, 03:13:33 PM »
I taught my country school, double length, Friday afternoon, every-student-grades-three-to-six class today and for the first time this term, not a single child cried!

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #1750 on: April 14, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
퍼퍼 블레스

What is this word? I can't find it in any dictionary.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #1751 on: April 14, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
퍼퍼 블레스

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #1752 on: April 17, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
퍼퍼 블레스

The use of h3h3 refs makes me so happy omg.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1753 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
The grade 2 students at my main middle school are always making me laugh  :laugh:
One of the girls used to be super shy, too.  It's nice to see her opening up into a more confident person (she's still an introvert by nature, but not deathly shy anymore). 

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1754 on: April 19, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
I never used that "chase the vocab" game with students over older than 3rd grade cuz I thought it would be too easy and they wouldn't like it but I used it today with a 6th grade class and they didn't want to leave the dang room when class finished :/ They demanded more rounds of extreme mode :/ Looks like I found a game to use next month...

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #1755 on: April 19, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
I never used that "chase the vocab" game with students over older than 3rd grade cuz I thought it would be too easy and they wouldn't like it but I used it today with a 6th grade class and they didn't want to leave the dang room when class finished :/ They demanded more rounds of extreme mode :/ Looks like I found a game to use next month...

Stupid question.

"Chase the vocab?"

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1756 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:56 PM »

Stupid question.

"Chase the vocab?"

I attached the version I used today. I used the pattern "It's (month) _____" and they had to follow the month and tell me first, second, third, etc for what number the month I said was under. So if I said "It's January...." they followed January and replied "It's January 1st!" if it was under card #1.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1757 on: April 19, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
Today is my last day at my favourite school. (I'm still working in Korea next week, but this school has exams then, and told me to just stay home to start packing etc.)
Students have been really sad that I'm leaving, I got lots of pictures / letters from the students here. The principal gave me a really long hug, before he thanked me for my time here! Someone was sleeping in the spot where the school wanted me to eat my lunch, so I went to the cafeteria, every table wanted me to sit by them. I sat with the teachers because, I didn't want the students to get upset if I didn't sit by them, 1 group waited around until the cafe got quiet, then beckoned me over. So I sat with them.
They've also been giving me various snacks.

Yesterday was pretty funny, when almost all 101 students tried to give me a group hug on the stairwell, blocking the Korean teachers trying to go up the stairs, they broke it up after the bell went for class though (right before school started).

It's been a really happy and positive, but really sad day here!
(little bit of a rant): I'm kinda angry that, even though my travel school, that is becoming the main school to my replacement, wanted to rehire me after my contract ended, got told no. I wanted to stay here another year.
However, it's been a great experience!

Offline elsbethm

• Adventurer
« Reply #1758 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:35 PM »
The grade 2 students at my main middle school are always making me laugh  :laugh:
One of the girls used to be super shy, too.  It's nice to see her opening up into a more confident person (she's still an introvert by nature, but not deathly shy anymore). 
It's what makes the job so great.

I feel like my students are really warming up to me this year and starting to show some personality.  It makes me so happy to get to know as more than just desks in a classroom.

Last week, one of my sixth grade girls quietly walked behind me the entire way to my office without me noticing (I was a little distracted with an armload full of materials). Right as I went to open my door she screams "HELLO!" and made me jump about 3 feet in the air. Then she ran away laughing.  Iwould have laughed too, if I wasn't busy recovering from a heart attack.

Today, I left the cafeteria with 2 of my Gr.5 boys.  I turned down the Gr.1 hallway to say hi to the munchkins (I can't resist seeing their little faces) and I notice that the boys are still with me.  They started mimicking me (I had my arms crossed bc the hallway was a little cold). The only thing I could do was to break into silly walks and see if they would still copy me.  About five minutes later, I have about half of the Gr.5 and 6 boys as well as a gaggle of Gr.1's following me around the school. All of us were doing the silliest walks we could think of.

To top it all off, this Friday is Science Day!! It's a damn good week.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1759 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »
One of the teachers in my office is humming the Beauty and the Beast Tale as Old as Time song and it's making me happy.