December 17, 2017, 02:26:13 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 207786 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1300 on: November 22, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
@flyingspider Who did you order through? I have been thinking about starting ordering groceries through GMarket.
Gmarket! So far it's the only online shopping place I know how to use. I haven't ordered food there yet, but I'm thinking of giving it a try. There is one thing I ordered where it says "Delivered" but I haven't received it yet, so I have to figure that out, but everything else has been wonderfully fast.
I had to fight with a seller once over an item that was listed as delivered but I never got. It took months. Only issue I've really had though.

It seems so odd to me to order groceries online which is why I haven't made the plunge yet.

I was ordering veg from a CSA for a while, but the quality was lower than expected (CSAs in Canada are usually top-notch - here they were mid-grade), and there was often damage in transit.

I can see buying packaged food or staples on-line, but meats, veg and fruit I want to see and touch before I buy it.  Quality maters to me more than price.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1301 on: November 22, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »
Yeyyy! My principal and vice principal's feud is finally dying down enough that they aren't avoiding each other like the plague at lunch :D That's the first time they sat together in weeks! Maybe that ends our principal's insane decrees he's been issuing just to passive-agressively piss off the vp!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1302 on: November 22, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »
Accepted into a CELTA course in Budapest.  I think this makes me happy.

I did mine there three years ago and have to agree with everyone, Budapest is so beautiful.

Good luck with the course too!  :smiley:

I find this funny that with the Brits here, doing the CELTA, that myself, Whatgook and The Arm all did ours in Budapest.  I remember looking at the other options, Spain etc and I remember Budapest being the cheapest for accomodation and course fee. 

Yep, IH.  I don't know how much free time I'm going to have and I fly in and out pretty close to the start and end dates - damn that week in Feb we have to be in school!!!  But I'll put Szechenya baths on the list to check out on a weekend afternoon.  Is it still good to visit in winter? Thanks, does sound and look awesome.

I did it a while back, but I remember the Hungarian 'guinea pig' students were really nice and really tried to help you.  Which was great because I was a massive bag of nerves.  They would normally have signed up most months to help the 'guinea pig' teachers out.  I remember being told to try and avoid any conversations about Communism as some of students would have lived through thos times and would  actually prefer the 'total employment' to the situation now.  The course is hectic during the week.  I can't quite remember but I think we taught every other day, so the day before you had a class would be busy preparing stuff.  The evenings of those days (with no classes the next day, just observing) I would nip to the shops for cheap beer and then relax at home.  If you have a good group, we had Brits, Aussies and a couple of Americans and one Hungarian and it worked out really well.  We spent time together at the weekends going around Budapest.  The baths should be open in the winter too as they are warm springs.  There is another one called Rudas which is all indoors and was really nice.  I miss my Budapest days.  Good memories, and a good choice.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:59:08 AM by Dave Stepz »

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1303 on: November 22, 2016, 12:20:54 PM »
@flyingspider Who did you order through? I have been thinking about starting ordering groceries through GMarket.
Gmarket! So far it's the only online shopping place I know how to use. I haven't ordered food there yet, but I'm thinking of giving it a try. There is one thing I ordered where it says "Delivered" but I haven't received it yet, so I have to figure that out, but everything else has been wonderfully fast.
I had to fight with a seller once over an item that was listed as delivered but I never got. It took months. Only issue I've really had though.

It seems so odd to me to order groceries online which is why I haven't made the plunge yet.

I was ordering veg from a CSA for a while, but the quality was lower than expected (CSAs in Canada are usually top-notch - here they were mid-grade), and there was often damage in transit.

I can see buying packaged food or staples on-line, but meats, veg and fruit I want to see and touch before I buy it.  Quality maters to me more than price.
Yeah, I don't know if I would do fruits or veg, but I was thinking about doing chicken breast. Right now I am getting mine from Costco, but it seems like the price went up.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #1304 on: November 22, 2016, 12:54:27 PM »
Yeah, I don't know if I would do fruits or veg, but I was thinking about doing chicken breast. Right now I am getting mine from Costco, but it seems like the price went up.

Suji's brand of chicken breasts from Costco has been serving me well lately. You get about 10 pre-cooked, individually shrink-wrapped breasts. They're tasty and never dry. Great for easy meals. They're a good deal too, about 15,000w if IIRC.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1305 on: November 22, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »

Price is up, and quality is down since they changed suppliers.  The new ones have more water in them.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1306 on: November 23, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »

Suji's brand of chicken breasts from Costco has been serving me well lately. You get about 10 pre-cooked, individually shrink-wrapped breasts. They're tasty and never dry. Great for easy meals. They're a good deal too, about 15,000w if IIRC.
I didn't know Suji's had frozen chicken. I had only seen the rice burgers and breakfast sandwiches. I already bought some plain chicken, but I may check that out next time!

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1307 on: November 23, 2016, 09:07:07 AM »
I'll be three years sober this Friday, so I just ordered a new guitar to celebrate. It might even arrive on Thanksgiving day, to boot. That'll be nice, since Thursday is usually my sh!ttiest day at work.  :laugh:

Congratulations, I hope you and the new guitar have a lot of fun together. :)

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1308 on: November 23, 2016, 09:12:39 AM »
I got second period off so the kids can do sex-ed. I bet my classes afterwards are fun.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1309 on: November 23, 2016, 09:14:13 AM »
I got second period off so the kids can do sex-ed. I bet my classes afterwards are fun.
Ugh. I had to teach one of those at my last school. To 1/2 graders. It was mostly health in general, but they also wanted a little sex ed in there.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1310 on: November 23, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »
I'm at my travel school today, and the KET doesn't speak English particularly well. That's no biggie, since it's something I've had to deal with many, many times at 9 different schools over the past five years. What was strange today is the KET came up to ask me a question...

...and he asked in Korean.

No attempt at English first, just straight ahead with the Korean.

Now there is a reason I'm putting this in this thread, not the ranting thread: I was actually flattered. I took it to mean that he was confident enough in my Korean abilities that he could address me in Korean, and luckily I actually understood and was able to answer in Korean. It's a nice ego boost, and I'm sure he's much more comfortable this way. Win-win.

For anyone who might be curious, it wasn't anything fancy. Just something along the lines of "What are you doing for lunch?" "I'll eat when I go home." We weren't discussing Voltaire or anything.  :laugh:

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1311 on: November 23, 2016, 11:44:07 AM »
After a series of unsatisfying school lunches, school finally had something where I ate everything served.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1312 on: November 23, 2016, 11:48:12 AM »
Golden Bell is OVER! I could write a huge post on the ranting thread about how frustrating it was (I'm tired of being treated like a dancing monkey and I'm irritated with this culture treating the principal like he's the king) but it's over and I don't have to deal with it any more. The rest of the semester should be much calmer now.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1313 on: November 24, 2016, 10:05:43 AM »
My grade 2s are my favorite. Class went really well today-- it was on following instructions, so I had them tell me how to make a peanut butter sandwich and took them very literally.

Lots of "Teacher!! What are you doing??! Stop!"  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1314 on: November 24, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »
My friends from Canada are visiting when I have winter camp but my school said they can come to class one day :P They're coming and helping me teach a cooking class and we're having a pancake party with my 5th and 6th graders! SO STOKED!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1315 on: November 25, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
It's cold but fortunately I have full control over the heaters in my classroom and am encouraged to use it. :azn: Definitely something I appreciate about my school. The same applies in the summer with the AC, although I use that a lot less than I use the heaters. :blank:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1316 on: November 28, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
There was a pretty great salad at lunch today. Lettuce, chicken, bell peppers, and apple.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1317 on: November 28, 2016, 12:46:19 PM »
My school has already offered me a renewal... for August. The principal said they really liked me and my work.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1318 on: November 28, 2016, 03:13:33 PM »
I love the lady in the admin. office. Every so often she'll bring kimbap for everyone. Free food~

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1319 on: November 28, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »
I successfully pawned my sweet potatoes off on my students this time