December 16, 2017, 03:33:56 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 207545 times)

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1240 on: November 08, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
I didn't think my school had hot water. They do beside the main office!

Once the temperature dropped, I just reached under the sink in the Teacher's bathroom and turned on that hot water. Lefty loosey, my dude.

Thanks. #Haxxerz.

Added: It feels good to have warm water enveloping my hands and dishes.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:49:52 PM by grey »
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.
-AP

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #1241 on: November 08, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »
I don't have any classes tomorrow because of a field trip. And I get to go with them!

That first part is awesome.

But the second part is the literal worst.

Field trips are all right if your coteachers are cool and depending on where you go. At my school, they just send the kids off to run around wherever we are while we hang out and shoot the shit.

You defo get better lunch swag at hagwons though.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1242 on: November 08, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
I know it's instant, but I'm having a really nice hot cup of coffee right now and it just feels so good in this cold weather. My fingers were frozen a bit but I went to the teacher's bathroom to warm my hands up under hot running water (we have hot water!) and now I'm keeping them warm by wrapping them around my mug and ugh it just makes me so happy.

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #1243 on: November 08, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
Oh, I've never gone on a field trip with students. That sounds even more miserable. I was referring to teachers' field trips. It's such a production and effort expenditure for very little gain. You go, you schmooze with your coworkers a bit, listen to some gossip, etc, and build your standing and reputation, but it's just such a chore.

It depends. If they were all the time and all weekend, I'd probably get annoyed but we have one a year for one night and come back Saturday afternoon, so I don't mind. I get to see somewhere new and like I said, I like the teachers at my school. We have one this weekend and I'm looking forward to trying to get my one coteacher to drink whiskey with me. School dinners are always amusing because it's the only time a lot of the teachers here get to cut loose. They're all married and have kids so they like to get wrecked up which is usually good for a laugh. My new principal also likes to get blotto so this should be really interesting.

If I really didn't want to go, I could make up an excuse as no one seems to care if you can't make it. I do know that I have it good at my school though. If the other teachers were assholes, I probably wouldn't bother. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to go.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1244 on: November 08, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »
I know it's instant, but I'm having a really nice hot cup of coffee right now and it just feels so good in this cold weather. My fingers were frozen a bit but I went to the teacher's bathroom to warm my hands up under hot running water (we have hot water!) and now I'm keeping them warm by wrapping them around my mug and ugh it just makes me so happy.

Nice. Since I started at this new workplace, I no longer have a kettle in my office, nor any spare outlets in which to plug it in, so if I want hot water I have to walk to an entirely separate building and use the 교무실's kettle. So, I haven't even bothered to bring my mug to work because it's just too much of a pain to do it, especially when I chug tea like a seal.

Oh my goodness, I would die. I also have to go to the 교무실 for the kettle since I don't have one in my classroom, but it's just down the hall and I like the VP and the other teachers so I don't feel uncomfortable, either. I've been considering bringing my own kettle, but I've been considering it for too long and now it's not worth it since I leave at the end of this contract. Although, that does still leave me four months... So a cheap kettle may well be worth it...

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1245 on: November 08, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »

Nice. Since I started at this new workplace, I no longer have a kettle in my office, nor any spare outlets in which to plug it in, so if I want hot water I have to walk to an entirely separate building and use the 교무실's kettle. So, I haven't even bothered to bring my mug to work because it's just too much of a pain to do it, especially when I chug tea like a seal.

Have you tried asking for a surge protector thing so you can have more outlets?

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1246 on: November 09, 2016, 07:57:34 AM »
OUR OFFICE HAS HEAT OH MAN WHAT A DAY

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1247 on: November 09, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »

No. My desk already has a multitap coming out of the wall, and I'm not going to plug another multitap into it. That's dangerous. And it's too much of a pain to plug and unplug my printer every time I want to plug a kettle in. So I just live without.

How is it dangerous? O.o I've been using a multisocket power plug thing-a-ma-jig inside another since I was like 10, and have never had any issues. The travel school I'm at today has one inside another at each computer too. I'm not saying you are wrong, I've just never heard about it being dangerous, so I am genuinely interested into how it is! I just didn't want to sound like I was being sarcastic or anything! >.<

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1248 on: November 09, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »

No. My desk already has a multitap coming out of the wall, and I'm not going to plug another multitap into it. That's dangerous. And it's too much of a pain to plug and unplug my printer every time I want to plug a kettle in. So I just live without.

How is it dangerous? O.o I've been using a multisocket power plug thing-a-ma-jig inside another since I was like 10, and have never had any issues. The travel school I'm at today has one inside another at each computer too. I'm not saying you are wrong, I've just never heard about it being dangerous, so I am genuinely interested into how it is! I just didn't want to sound like I was being sarcastic or anything! >.<

If you're running things that don't use a lot of power, it's generally safe, but still not recommended. If you Google 'is it safe to daisychain power strips?' you'll find a lot of information. The general consensus is that it's pretty safe, if you're just running things like um, alarm clocks, or really small stuff. But computers, kettles, toasters, etc. aren't safe to do that with.

I've always done it with: TV, computer, playstation, then small stuff like: Phone chargers, 3DS chargers, and I guess, various other chargers. Always out of necessity, and was never told it can be bad. Even my Dad, who used to be an electrician, never told me anything, and he got me the damn things haha. I'll look into the daisy-chaining powerstrips though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1249 on: November 09, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »
Next week is exams, so for the rest of this week my students have study periods and  the first 3 days of next week are half days where I do nothing. I'm going to go on a hike, go to Costco, and revel in my free time.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1250 on: November 09, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »

If you're running things that don't use a lot of power, it's generally safe, but still not recommended. If you Google 'is it safe to daisychain power strips?' you'll find a lot of information. The general consensus is that it's pretty safe, if you're just running things like um, alarm clocks, or really small stuff. But computers, kettles, toasters, etc. aren't safe to do that with.

I've always done it with: TV, computer, playstation, then small stuff like: Phone chargers, 3DS chargers, and I guess, various other chargers. Always out of necessity, and was never told it can be bad. Even my Dad, who used to be an electrician, never told me anything, and he got me the damn things haha. I'll look into the daisy-chaining powerstrips though.
In my office they have 4 computers into one multistrip that leads to another full multistrip with printers and fridge. It's been like that for 4 years. There are similar setups in every office here. I've even seen a triple full multi plug.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1251 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
It is considered a fire hazard, and doing it is in violation of most safety regulations in the States (for commercial buildings and businesses), but it's also supposed to be low-risk (relatively safe) as long as what you're using doesn't have high energy demands.

What these guys say about it is pretty much what I've always been taught:

https://www.quora.com/Are-daisy-chaining-power-strips-dangerous-If-so-why
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:49:52 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1252 on: November 09, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
I guess plugging powerbars into other powerbars is just something I was always taught was dangerous, and a potential fire hazard.

But I know lots of people do it. So, I'm sure it's probably pretty low risk. If it's something you feel comfortable doing, go for it. It'll probably be fine.

I was reading a well-regarded tech site about it. The TL/DR version without going into all the technical bits was: It's okay and safe to do, as long as you don't go past the amount the circuit breaker, or the surge protectors, volt capacity. For the surge protectors, the amount will be on the package; **for the circuit breaker, I have no idea how to find out but, you'll know when you go past it, because it should start switching off before it gets to a dangerous level. It gets dangerous if you keep trying to force that level, or higher on the circuit breaker.

The bit after ** I may have misunderstood, but that was my understanding of what was mentioned.

I also forgot to mention quality. The expensive ones you would have to go to a hardware / specialty store to buy, will be able to handle a bigger electrical load than the cheaper ones from a supermarket. However, no matter how good your surge protector is, your circuit breaker needs to be able to handle it as well.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:46:29 AM by Kayos »

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1253 on: November 09, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
We received our evaluations, and my coteacher and I both received high marks. I don't know how important these evals are, but it's a good feeling anyway.  :cheesy: I'm reading through the students' comments and one says, "Talking to a native speaker was awkward and frightening, but thanks to my teacher, my fear was gone." Awww. <3

One student even wrote their eval in English. "It is so fun~~~`I`m smart."

I signed the "intent to renew" form the other day, and though sometimes I wonder why I'm here when I'm breaking up 3rd grade fights or the 4th graders are being rude I'm glad I did.  :azn:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:10:39 PM by flyingspider »

Offline sunflowerxoxo

• Adventurer
« Reply #1254 on: November 11, 2016, 01:19:35 PM »
A day with my 5th graders:

Student 1: Teacher! *motions for me to come over*
Me: Yes?
Student 1: Student 2 is ugly!
Student 2: Hey!!!
Me: No! That's not nice. Don't say that.
Student 1: *rolls his eyes* *motions for me to come closer*
Student 1 (whispering in my ear): Ok. Student 2 is handsome. Now laugh!
Me (confused) : What?
Student 1 (still whispering): Laugh Teacher!
Me: *laughs*
Student 1: *laughs*
Student 2: *looking at us suspiciously* What funny?
Me: I don't know.
Student 2: Teacher! Tell me!
Me: Student 1 says you're handsome.
Student 2: *looks back and forth at me and student 1* You lie!
Me: *genuinely laughing now*

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1255 on: November 11, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »
What's your fave Lil B song, everyone?

While I think he is a pretty nice human, I'm not a fan of his music.
My taste in music is: Rock / Metal.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1256 on: November 11, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »

That's okay. Even if you're not into his music, Lil B thinks you're a pretty nice human, too.

I saw Iron Maiden here, and even though they're not like metal metal, it was still a fantastic show.

I was sad that Manson was like 120,000. I would've gone if it was like 60,000. But I saw Manson back in 2008 or 2009, and it was honest to god one of the worst shows I've ever seen. He was fat, looked tired and bored, and phoned it in so hard.

I'm glad! :D I think it is easy for people to mistake "not liking the persons music" with "I abolsutely hate this person" as music tastes can be very personal to a lot of people. So while I'm not very fond of hip hop, I can respect hip hop artists that are generally very nice people. :)

Nice! I saw Iron Maiden back in '09 (I think - forget which year), they came to NZ for a couple shows, got to catch one. They are my all time favourite band too! :D Glad you enjoyed the concert as well! :D

I wouldn't mind seeing Manson in concert myself. I loved his music back in high school. I don't actively listen to him now though.
I've missed ACDC in concert both times they have come to NZ (both times when I was an adult and could have actually gone), missed tool twice, and Metallica once. :'( - all the times they have played in NZ, I was either: broke, travelling, or too busy to get the time off. :(

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1257 on: November 11, 2016, 03:11:03 PM »

That's okay. Even if you're not into his music, Lil B thinks you're a pretty nice human, too.

I saw Iron Maiden here, and even though they're not like metal metal, it was still a fantastic show.

I was sad that Manson was like 120,000. I would've gone if it was like 60,000. But I saw Manson back in 2008 or 2009, and it was honest to god one of the worst shows I've ever seen. He was fat, looked tired and bored, and phoned it in so hard.

I'm glad! :D I think it is easy for people to mistake "not liking the persons music" with "I abolsutely hate this person" as music tastes can be very personal to a lot of people. So while I'm not very fond of hip hop, I can respect hip hop artists that are generally very nice people. :)

Nice! I saw Iron Maiden back in '09 (I think - forget which year), they came to NZ for a couple shows, got to catch one. They are my all time favourite band too! :D Glad you enjoyed the concert as well! :D

I wouldn't mind seeing Manson in concert myself. I loved his music back in high school. I don't actively listen to him now though.

No, literally. I'm actually a Manson fan, and probably listen to at least one album a week, even still. And when I saw him, it was the most awful, disappointing hack job of a live performance ever. I've never seen someone put less effort into their show. Which is even more disappointing considering how good his shows used to be.

Also, Tool is stellar live. The best live shows are post-rock, though. Mogwai was amazing. My Bloody Valentine was also great live. They gave out free earplugs.

Other good shows I saw here - Tyler, the Creator, Lady Gaga (literally one of the most amazing live stage shows ever), Flaming Lips, Radiohead, NIN, uhhh. Too many to remember. That was when good shows came here.

Damn. >.< In high school, a friend owned a DvD of a live Manson show, we'd watch it every weekend and it made me want to see him live. It sucks that he didn't put on a good show to the one you went to :(

Sounds like some good acts come, or used to come, here. I'd love to try catch one sometime!

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1258 on: November 14, 2016, 07:19:25 AM »
Came into work on Monday morning to find a package I've been waiting on since September on my desk!

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1259 on: November 14, 2016, 07:38:54 AM »

I was reading a well-regarded tech site about it. The TL/DR version without going into all the technical bits was: It's okay and safe to do, as long as you don't go past the amount the circuit breaker, or the surge protectors, volt capacity.
Certainly you don't want to plug a 220V appliance into a 110V cord, but I think you meant amperage.