December 16, 2017, 03:41:51 AM

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 207548 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1040 on: October 07, 2016, 08:23:20 AM »
My debilitating cold did not stop me from powering through two open classes for parents. They went fairly well and it's over and school life can get back to normal now. Just one more day of school then this weekend is the Hwaseong Cultural Festival and the fireworks festival in Seoul. I don't know if that will be worth the crowds but I love fireworks so we'll see how it goes.

I hope you don't mind crowds. I live super close to the fireworks festival and have literally never gone to it, because it's just goofy crowded.
I want to go with my boyfriend because I have never gone before and I also live pretty close now, but he just fractured his hand and a couple fingers the other day and I don't want him getting bumped and jostled. I was hoping that maybe if we went to another area, across the river, at the little island in the middle between Dangsan and Hapjeong...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1041 on: October 07, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
I have this student in first grade who is really not very good at English. I remember the first or second class I talked to the teacher about how she refused to answer any questions or practice reading the conversation in the book, and she said "oh yeah, she can't speak English" as if this meant I was free to give up on teaching her. I remember being very upset about it.

Her English has improved a tiny bit, but the biggest change is she seems much happier in English class and likes me a lot!!! I just had her class and she always does the heart-hand thing at me casually until I notice and give her a heart back, and she smiles and looks so happy.

Even if I didn't help her with English much, I'm happy at least if I can brighten her day.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1042 on: October 07, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »
Principal shenanigans continued, although this time it wasn't really shenanigans:

Drinking coffee in our section of the office and she comes up, my boss gives her some coffee. Then she starts talking to me

;D : Guest teacher! I saw your class the other day and it was so good! The students seem to like you a lot!
 :wink: : Because it was a fun class haha
 ;D : Your voice was loud and clear and you had such a big smile! That's so good! Good job!

Most of the "feedback" I get is from boss teacher who doesn't think I work hard enough, so it was nice to be recognized a little bit. The emotional labor of maintaining a positive classroom persona is probably something she doesn't understand lol

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1043 on: October 07, 2016, 01:00:43 PM »
I have this student in first grade who is really not very good at English. I remember the first or second class I talked to the teacher about how she refused to answer any questions or practice reading the conversation in the book, and she said "oh yeah, she can't speak English" as if this meant I was free to give up on teaching her. I remember being very upset about it.

Her English has improved a tiny bit, but the biggest change is she seems much happier in English class and likes me a lot!!! I just had her class and she always does the heart-hand thing at me casually until I notice and give her a heart back, and she smiles and looks so happy.

Even if I didn't help her with English much, I'm happy at least if I can brighten her day.

Ugh this grinds my gears so much. Some teachers think, "Oh, X student isn't good at Y subject. Better not bother with them and focus on the ones who are good already."

That's literally not how you're supposed to teach. The students who are already good at something are either 1) self-motivated enough that they don't need excessive attention from teacher, or 2) going to enough hagwon that they're already way ahead of the game and don't need you. Teachers who only focus on the high level students are literally just taking the path of least resistance to getting through the workday. Miserable.

My elem. coT is like this which is why I dislike her a lot. Part of it may have been a translation issue but she has literally told me that I "don't need to care" about the lower level students. My middle school coTs actually try to help the lower level students when they can, which is why I respect them far more.

One of my lower level students was extremely sullen the first few classes. I made sure to pay attention to her and help her when I can and she's now happy to come to class and see me even though she's not good at English.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1044 on: October 07, 2016, 01:12:30 PM »
Yeah, when it happened initially I was very upset because the teacher who said that is one of the best teachers who I work with. I also feel really bad for this girl in particular because she has an English name (샤론 written in Korean. It's her actual name) so I wonder if maybe her parents gave her that name because they had high hopes for her in terms of English achievement. Or maybe they just gave her that name because they thought it was cool and it was easy to write in Korean, idk. Either way it must suck a little to have a foreign name and have a lot of trouble learning that language.

I think though, even though this teacher is good, she tends to try to cram as much as she can into one lesson and talks a mile a minute. For the high-level classes it's okay because they're already at that level, but for the first graders who are heterogeneously grouped, it's way too much for all but the top students. She knows how to teach high-level students very well, but maybe just isn't patient enough for low-level students.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:08:49 PM by moonbrie »

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #1045 on: October 10, 2016, 09:29:06 AM »
First and second period were canceled so the students could harvest the sweet potatoes they planted last term. Best way to start a Monday.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1046 on: October 11, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
Noticed a big change in a "problem" student today. I don't know if it's due to his homeroom teacher, the other students (they're good kids), time (to acclimate, as he's technically a new student this year though he has attended this school before in the past), or a combination of all, but it makes me happy to see such a change in him.

This kid used to be sullen and throw screaming/crying fits. Originally my coT told me he didn't speak any English and not to bother with him because he's "stubborn" but he seems completely different now. Now he's kinda chatty, seems to get along well with the other kids, and even follows along in class.

Offline lazerbullet

• Veteran
  • Welcome to ghost time
« Reply #1047 on: October 12, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »
Just wanted to say I'm generally feeling pretty bloody good about this whole Korea thing! I've settled in really well at my elementary school, the kids are super cute, high school is doing midterms at the moment so no teaching (apart from helping third graders prep for interviews, which is basically a 'free chatting' class so is fun), Korean lessons are going well which really helps, weather is nice and 해피 and most importantly POKEMON X ARRIVED YESTERDAY!!! ^^^^^^

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #1048 on: October 12, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »
Wednesday is language exchange day and my fave part of the work week! :)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1049 on: October 12, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »
Not to be all creepy and prying, but what happened with the wedding your date-friend asked you to?

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1050 on: October 12, 2016, 09:19:18 AM »
Not to be all creepy and prying, but what happened with the wedding your date-friend asked you to?
That's a story for the ranting thread but I shall tell. Was good for a while. Had a few dates and thought it was going well. We live on opposite sides of the country and I was going to Seoul a lot. I have pretty bad anxiety about new people I'm dating so on date...4? I asked him if this was going anywhere or if it was just a casual thing (fine with either just wanted to get a feel for what I was getting myself into). He told me he wasn't ready to have a relationship just yet but wed talk about it again in a few weeks(which I was cool with). He then stopped speaking to me (still follows me on insta and on my fb..) After introducing me to his friends and such too...anyway. Haven't spoken to him in about a week or so...:( Pretty sure its done...

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1051 on: October 12, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
That's a story for the ranting thread but I shall tell. Was good for a while. Had a few dates and thought it was going well. We live on opposite sides of the country and I was going to Seoul a lot. I have pretty bad anxiety about new people I'm dating so on date...4? I asked him if this was going anywhere or if it was just a casual thing (fine with either just wanted to get a feel for what I was getting myself into). He told me he wasn't ready to have a relationship just yet but wed talk about it again in a few weeks(which I was cool with). He then stopped speaking to me (still follows me on insta and on my fb..) After introducing me to his friends and such too...anyway. Haven't spoken to him in about a week or so...:( Pretty sure its done...
Ugh, that sucks! I was dating a guy for 6 months here, and thats how he "broke up" with me. Blocked me on kakao and just stopped talking to me. Never a good feeling. I'm sorry.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1052 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:46 AM »
Ugh, that sucks! I was dating a guy for 6 months here, and thats how he "broke up" with me. Blocked me on kakao and just stopped talking to me. Never a good feeling. I'm sorry.

Ghosting is the worst here.... Happened to me too!  >:(   Chin up guys :)

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #1053 on: October 12, 2016, 09:58:19 AM »

was the guy Korean?? I'm just generalizing but based on my observations many of the foreign girls that I meet rarely have luck locking down a relationship with Korean guys.  The majority of them just want a casual language exchange with benefits included.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1054 on: October 12, 2016, 10:11:07 AM »

was the guy Korean?? I'm just generalizing but based on my observations many of the foreign girls that I meet rarely have luck locking down a relationship with Korean guys.  The majority of them just want a casual language exchange with benefits included.
Yeah, he was. And I do think it could have been that because he had talked about me helping his sister with her hagwon. Booo. However, that was over a year ago and I have met a really great guy that doesn't seem to be in it for the language exchange.

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1055 on: October 12, 2016, 11:29:54 AM »

Yeah, he was. And I do think it could have been that because he had talked about me helping his sister with her hagwon. Booo. However, that was over a year ago and I have met a really great guy that doesn't seem to be in it for the language exchange.
I've met good ones and bad.  You don't usually know it until the end either haha..

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1056 on: October 12, 2016, 01:17:30 PM »
Our super stressful open class is over! (Now just two for the parents but that shouldn't be too bad.) My poor co was so nervous during our open class that she was shaking, but it went really well and the kids were so well-behaved. I could tell the kids were nervous too though because they sat straight up in their desks and just stared at me the whole time; they were too nervous to turn around and see the 18 or so teachers who were watching our class.

After it was over the VP came up to me, grabbed my hand, stared me in the eyes, and earnestly said, "This is the best English class I have ever seen." I'm so glad it's done with and her comment made all of the prep worth it.

In 5th grade a couple girls have been begging to play Sleeping Elephants, so we did that today. Some boys whined and moaned but I told them they could sit at the back of the class if they didn't want to play. All the kids looked like they had fun (even the grumpy boys got really into), and at the end of the class the two girls ran up to me and thanked me for the game. I've been having trouble connecting with the girls in this class (they are so darn quiet) but I think we're getting there.  ;D

Why was your coteacher so nervous? Is she new to teaching English? Or just a new teacher in general?

Honestly, why does anybody sweat over open class? I've had some CoTs prepare a month ahead of time and stress incessantly for something that, at least at my school, isn't taken seriously by administration at all. It seems like whatever you write for the lesson plan is more important than what actually happens in class. The VP and P pop their heads in for 3 minutes max. Plus, don't teachers here have one of the most secure jobs you can imagine. What's the worst that could happen?

I haven't had one yet, but I think mine will be in December. I'm already nervous and freaking out a bit for it, however, it is mostly because I am a new teacher (unexpierenced), and as I am not making traditional lessons (I have to be the fun, games only teacher), I'm worried that what I do during it won't be good. Plus, at my main school, my co-teacher is the music teacher who doesn't speak English. So I feel like it is going to be very difficult for me. Plus, the higher ups from the education office, and 2 NET's and their co - come to every NET open class in our city (from what I've been told and experienced - I've had to watch one)

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1057 on: October 12, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »
My grade six class ended up being five minutes intro, thirty minutes of Kpop discussion and five minutes of game. I hate Kpop. All of it. (Well, some older stuff is OK.) They didn't care. They just wanted to know which groups I knew and what songs I'd heard. I at least managed to conduct most of the discussion in English.

On a less happy note, the Daekyo sixth grade books are terrible. I wanted to teach "Do you know about Hanbok?" about as much as they wanted to study it.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1058 on: October 12, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »

Has happened to me 4 times since being here in Korea. All women I have known for 6months - a year. Have hung out in person a lot. And the moment I ask them on a date, I get blocked and never hear from them again. :/ What's wrong with just saying: "no thanks, but lets stay friends!"
Sorry to hear that, I know that feeling well. :/ Makes me feel really bad about myself when it happens to me. :/

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #1059 on: October 12, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
My grade six class ended up being five minutes intro, thirty minutes of Kpop discussion and five minutes of game. I hate Kpop. All of it. (Well, some older stuff is OK.) They didn't care. They just wanted to know which groups I knew and what songs I'd heard. I at least managed to conduct most of the discussion in English.

On a less happy note, the Daekyo sixth grade books are terrible. I wanted to teach "Do you know about Hanbok?" about as much as they wanted to study it.

That sounds like a fun lesson. Kpop is such a good way to start discussions with students. Also, every textbook series has a curriculum-mandated 'Korean cultural introduction to English-speakers' lesson in it. They're all awful.

"Yesterday, we played jegi and ate bulgogi. How about you, Sejun?"

"I went to bulgama, to clean my gochu, and then went to jusiba. We had sul with the ajumma." (Alright, maybe that's not in the book)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:33:24 PM by CO2 »