November 19, 2018, 10:36:20 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD  (Read 378821 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RAVING/HAPPY SH!T MEGATHREAD
« Reply #1000 on: September 27, 2016, 12:04:12 PM »
I got 4 super cute teachers day cards from my high schoolers today, and I have tomorrow off!

but...teachers day is May right?  :sad:
Ah yeah, but I work at the Chinese school and we celebrate the Taiwanese holiday, which is tomorrow.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1001 on: September 27, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »
On Saturday I'm going to Spectrum EDM festival, and either Sunday or Monday (if the weather is good) I'm going to the beach, so there's a lot to look forward to this four day weekend.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #1002 on: September 27, 2016, 01:04:20 PM »

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1004 on: September 27, 2016, 06:46:15 PM »
I saw a cool bird today.

I saw a hummingbird this past weekend.  Thought it was a wasp at first.

Sorry, no pics.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #1006 on: September 28, 2016, 07:52:30 AM »
I saw a cool bird today.

Sorry, no pics.
    No hummingbirds in Asia as they're endemic to the Americas. However, there are sphinx moths -- aka hummingbird moths.
    Through the process of (creationists: trigger warning to y'all!!) convergent evolution, they bear an uncanny resemblance to hummingbirds. They even zip and hum in a similar way!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:06:20 AM by kyndo »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #1007 on: September 28, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
Wow I had no idea sphinx moths were a thing. Thanks for the lesson (A+ trigger warning), kyndo!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1008 on: September 28, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
I saw a cool bird today.

Sorry, no pics.
    No hummingbirds in Asia as they're endemic to the Americas. However, there are sphinx moths -- aka hummingbird moths.
    Through the process of (creationists: trigger warning to y'all!!) convergent evolution, they bear an uncanny resemblance to hummingbirds. They even zip and hum in a similar way!

That's what it was.

That explains why I thought it was an insect.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1009 on: September 28, 2016, 11:04:01 AM »
That looks like a mystical creature of minute proportions.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1010 on: September 28, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »

It looks super creepy and I hope I never see one.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #1011 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:58 AM »
D: I think it's cute!! It's like a wee l'il pokemon!

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1012 on: September 28, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »

The wings move so fast that you can't see them, so it doesn't look as bad in real life.  The one I saw was a light yellow colour.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1013 on: September 28, 2016, 11:22:28 AM »

The wings move so fast that you can't see them, so it doesn't look as bad in real life.  The one I saw was a light yellow colour.
Kill it with fire.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #1014 on: September 28, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »

They're actually very beautiful and super graceful: they don't at all move in that jerky, insectile way that so many people find off-putting.
     I have a soft spot for hummingbirds and their mothy clones: back in BC, hummingbirds are all over the place and we would have tonnes of feeders everywhere. The birds were so possessive of the feeders, that when you approached the feeders to refill them, the birds would zip over and check you out like suspicious little helicopters. They would literally perch on one's fingertips and drink as one replaced the feeder after filling. Pretty gosh darn cool.
     The moths are a little less bold, less quarrelsome, and less squeaky, but they're also pretty cool. You can find them everywhere in Korea if you look, but they're especially common in Ulleung-do.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #1015 on: September 28, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »

Kill it with fire.

Being a moth, that wouldn't be very hard.  :)

donovan

« Reply #1016 on: September 28, 2016, 11:28:21 AM »

I was ready to call you Lyin' Kyndo as I was sure I saw several hummingbirds in Okinawa. But textbook liberal that I am, I used Hillary Clinton's website to fact check you and it turns out you're right (though I apologize for nothing). I didn't see hummingbirds but hawkmoths zipping around!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #1017 on: September 29, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
We had a teacher dinner on Tuesday and it was actually really nice! I didn't just sit in a corner silently by myself, a teacher actually talked with the whole time basically and the other teachers included me in the cheers and things.

I saw a cool bird today.

Sorry, no pics.

Woah! I saw one of these last weekend, and I thought it was a hummingbird, though the little antennae really confused me, haha.

Offline jlynn2190

• Explorer
« Reply #1018 on: September 29, 2016, 11:26:39 AM »
i havent had a real teaching day since Tuesday and I wont have another real teaching day until next wednesday??? Midterms at both of my middle schools sooooo my desk is on FIYAAAA from all the desk warming. But i've planned every lesson from here to December for my 1st grader middle schoolers....and have half of my lessons planned for my 3rd graders.....now to continue surfing the web for the next few days

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #1019 on: September 29, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
i havent had a real teaching day since Tuesday and I wont have another real teaching day until next wednesday??? Midterms at both of my middle schools sooooo my desk is on FIYAAAA from all the desk warming. But i've planned every lesson from here to December for my 1st grader middle schoolers....and have half of my lessons planned for my 3rd graders.....now to continue surfing the web for the next few days

yo sameee

my focus has been in the toilet though so I've just been taking early leave