June 23, 2018, 10:33:10 AM

Author Topic: Life lessons learned.  (Read 1874 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: Life lessons learned.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 10:57:43 AM »
Aw man, I was hoping it was something deeper. I read it another way. For example, when you tell a friend to be careful, it's not only because you care about their safety, but also because if something bad happened to them it would hurt you too. But... I guess what you were going for is a bit more common.
Human beings are generally not that deep when it comes to injury.

They're (inwardly) happy that when the hot coffee spilled, it burned the other person and not them.

Offline JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
Aw man, I was hoping it was something deeper. I read it another way. For example, when you tell a friend to be careful, it's not only because you care about their safety, but also because if something bad happened to them it would hurt you too. But... I guess what you were going for is a bit more common.

They're (inwardly) happy that when the hot coffee spilled, it burned the other person and not them.

If my grandma spilled hot coffee on herself, at no point am I gonna think "Phew! Glad that wasn't me!" I'm gonna make sure my grandma is ok and help her clean up. Not saying it is, but the way you're describing it just sounds evil.
The World Ends With You

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »

If my grandma spilled hot coffee on herself, at no point am I gonna think "Phew! Glad that wasn't me!" I'm gonna make sure my grandma is ok and help her clean up. Not saying it is, but the way you're describing it just sounds evil.

What Martin is talking about is schadenfreude, and that is linked to envy.  Not really a life lesson. 

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 11:18:30 AM »
Can you explain the bolded more?

(Side note: when I played baseball in high school, I was on third base and our coach called for a doomed suicide squeeze... I did not make it.)
Every time I've heard someone say "Careful you don't hurt yourself" when someone is doing something like fixing something or prepping food, on the rare occasions where someone did hurt themselves, what invariably followed was lecturing and "I told you so" coupled with relief that the hapless individual did not hurt them in the process.

When it comes to pain and injury, especially mild pain and injury, humans are extremely selfish.
i would say it's more of a "i've done that before, and i know how much it bloody hurts, so please be careful" rather than thinking about my own safety. so wouldn't that be empathy rather than selfishness?

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
2. Never buy shirts or pants online.
I have had good success with "known" brands for staple items, like Arrow shirts and Hagar chinos, ordered from North American vendors.

Asian suppliers or anything remotely trendy... all bets are off.

As long as I'm in Korea, I exclusively buy trousers and shirts online... Just go Made-to-Measure and not from a brand name, so less markup and perfect fit.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »
I have had good success with "known" brands for staple items, like Arrow shirts and Hagar chinos, ordered from North American vendors.

As long as I'm in Korea, I exclusively buy trousers and shirts online... Just go Made-to-Measure and not from a brand name, so less markup and perfect fit.

One rule: Try it on in Korea (Ralph Lauren, Levis etc) for fit but order the same items cheaper from America.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »

One rule: Try it on in Korea (Ralph Lauren, Levis etc) for fit but order the same items cheaper from America.
Some brands have separate Asian sizes or cuts, so be careful!

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »

Yeah. This is especially true for stuff like Polo, Levi's, etc.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

Yeah. This is especially true for stuff like Polo, Levi's, etc.

Yes, so clearly read the label first.

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 03:35:20 PM »
1. Uninstall tinder before watching late-night shows on your phone with bae
2. Clear ya dm every now and then
3. Don't wear protection and work on your pullout game, buddy  8)

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »
Never give a person a second chance to turn their back on you.

Never have kids, your life will be a lot more fun and stress free.

Read.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 07:26:51 AM »

Just curious; are you a parent?

Offline chuyinkorea

• Waygookin
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
ESL TURTLE is woke. Reps. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »

No, and although it is difficult to believe for many, I knew with absolute certainty I didn't want to be a parent by the time I was about 8 or 9 years old. I had the potentiality problem taken care of as a teenager and it's a decision I have never regretted for a microsecond.

I am, however, an awesome uncle and love the role.
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »

No, and although it is difficult to believe for many, I knew with absolute certainty I didn't want to be a parent by the time I was about 8 or 9 years old. I had the potentiality problem taken care of as a teenager and it's a decision I have never regretted for a microsecond.

I am, however, an awesome uncle and love the role.

A lesson your learned quite early.  :shocked:
Take advantage of that uncle role^^

Online donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 07:11:04 AM »
Maintain a messy desk. It casts an illusion of having been busy doing something.

(That might be more a life hack than a life lesson.)