April 19, 2018, 09:46:22 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 595196 times)

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4720 on: December 20, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »
You guys have toilets? I have to pee behind a tree at one of my travel schools.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4721 on: December 20, 2017, 02:54:29 PM »

You guys have trees? I have to pee into a sewer drain by the side of the road.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #4722 on: December 20, 2017, 02:59:14 PM »

If I make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee my pants in front of the students.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4723 on: December 20, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't make me laugh I will pee myself!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4724 on: December 20, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »

If I make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee my pants in front of the students.

Funny. If my students make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee in their pants in front of everyone.  :undecided:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4725 on: December 20, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »

Funny. If my students make a mistake in class, my Co-T makes me pee in their pants in front of everyone.  :undecided:

My daughter (~4 YO at the time) woke me up one night to accuse her younger sister (2) of peeing her bed.

She was sure if it... you know how little sisters can be!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4726 on: December 20, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
I received a very well written email from one of my former middle school students.  Wishing me Merry Christmas and saying she misses me and thanking me for helping her get into a study abroad program in the states next year (I'm sure it honestly had little to do with me; she's a very bright student and I'm certain she studies a lot.  All I did was practice interviewing her a couple times outside of class).  She also included some photos of her class on field trips.  This was one of my favorite classes. 

[DELUGE OF FEELINGS]  :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4727 on: December 21, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
I received a very well written email from one of my former middle school students.  Wishing me Merry Christmas and saying she misses me and thanking me for helping her get into a study abroad program in the states next year (I'm sure it honestly had little to do with me; she's a very bright student and I'm certain she studies a lot.  All I did was practice interviewing her a couple times outside of class).  She also included some photos of her class on field trips.  This was one of my favorite classes. 

[DELUGE OF FEELINGS]  :cry:

It's nice, isn't it?  I had similar with two of my students who had English interviews for their university entrance this year.  We practised a lot.  Both got 합격 (Pass) for their chosen courses after their interview.  In fact, I went out into the corridor when one student was checking her result for the first time.  When she saw her result she stood up, hugged me and then started crying for two minutes.  Awwww!

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4728 on: December 21, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »
Let me see a show of hands for those who feel as though they have done absolutely NOTHING all year. Come on, up with your hands.  Here I sit, surfing the Internet and drinking Maxim coffee (shudder) on full-pay, yet again. It's been like this for weeks.

How many actual classes have I taught this year? F ALL! This job has been one big day off from the start. National holidays, school holidays, school festivals, contractual vacation days, test days, self-study test days, days off so students can practice dancing, days off for mock SAT tests, swimming days, sports day.....man, I'm getting paid to do nothing!!!

I don't mind the odd day off from teaching, but this job is the odd day of teaching in an ocean of days off.

How is one meant to pimp up this job on a resume? Cross-cultural skills? Help me here.

How is one meant to ever "work" again? I mean, getting asked to do ANYTHING in the future by an employer will be a huge stress.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #4729 on: December 21, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
How is one meant to ever "work" again? I mean, getting asked to do ANYTHING in the future by an employer will be a huge stress.

YES. My Co-Teacher asked me to make a sign for a disabled student so he can wave it around in the Xmas plays tomorrow.

Immediate thought?  :rolleyes:  :huh: Oh, man..................

7 seconds later: Kevin, you don't do shit. Just shut up and make it.

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4730 on: December 21, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »
Let me see a show of hands for those who feel as though they have done absolutely NOTHING all year. Come on, up with your hands.  Here I sit, surfing the Internet and drinking Maxim coffee (shudder) on full-pay, yet again. It's been like this for weeks.

How many actual classes have I taught this year? F ALL! This job has been one big day off from the start. National holidays, school holidays, school festivals, contractual vacation days, test days, self-study test days, days off so students can practice dancing, days off for mock SAT tests, swimming days, sports day.....man, I'm getting paid to do nothing!!!

I don't mind the odd day off from teaching, but this job is the odd day of teaching in an ocean of days off.

How is one meant to pimp up this job on a resume? Cross-cultural skills? Help me here.

Trust me, I don't think you want to learn what the other side of that equation looks like. Learn a new skill, start a blog, use your free time well.
Of the 8 hours I work, I'm effectively teaching, planning, or helping out in some way for all 8 of them. Just this week I finally get a bit of a break due to Christmas stuff, but... damn.
I wish I did nothing here at school because there isn't enough hours after for me to accomplish everything I want to in a day.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4731 on: December 21, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »

Amen brother. I've got haemorrhoids from sitting here doing nothing for the last 2 months.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4732 on: December 26, 2017, 09:22:34 AM »
It's really good that elderly people in Korea get out and exercise so much.

But...my heart is always in my throat when I see them walking backwards.  I wish they wouldn't do that  :sad:

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4733 on: December 26, 2017, 09:32:57 AM »
It's really good that elderly people in Korea get out and exercise so much.

But...my heart is always in my throat when I see them walking backwards.  I wish they wouldn't do that  :sad:

I kind of understand it when going up hills, but just going down the normal side walk....  :undecided: :huh: :cry:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4734 on: December 26, 2017, 09:53:46 AM »
I learned how to say "playboy" in Chinese.

I'm sure this will come in handy?  :laugh:

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4735 on: December 26, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »

YES. My Co-Teacher asked me to make a sign for a disabled student so he can wave it around in the Xmas plays tomorrow.

I was like that too. My school decided that they wanted an extra curricular English class, 2 periods a week, for any student who wanted that too.
At first I thought, man, I can't be bothered with that, but then immediately thought, great, something more to do.

Then they said, it will be after 5pm twice a week. They haven't asked if I want to do that, but have said I will be doing this. I've been trying to negotiate to get it within the school day, as my teaching hours every week is in the single digits, but my school offers a lot of extra stuff, and keep saying that it's impossible to put before 5pm, and are willing to pay OT for it.
I don't need extra money, so I don't really want to do it, unless it is between the 9 - 5 :o

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4736 on: December 26, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

I was like that too. My school decided that they wanted an extra curricular English class, 2 periods a week, for any student who wanted that too.
At first I thought, man, I can't be bothered with that, but then immediately thought, great, something more to do.

Then they said, it will be after 5pm twice a week. They haven't asked if I want to do that, but have said I will be doing this. I've been trying to negotiate to get it within the school day, as my teaching hours every week is in the single digits, but my school offers a lot of extra stuff, and keep saying that it's impossible to put before 5pm, and are willing to pay OT for it.
I don't need extra money, so I don't really want to do it, unless it is between the 9 - 5 :o

Ah man I really hate stuff like this and actually think it's a bit sneaky of schools to do it.  Your regular teaching hours are under 22 I assume so your actual overtime pay for this will be something like 6,000 per hour.  I can't think of anyone who would want to stay after 5pm for that little amount.  Definitely not worth it.

But...apparently we can't refuse it. 

Awful situation that; I really feel for you  :sad:

Online Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4737 on: December 26, 2017, 03:09:50 PM »

Ah man I really hate stuff like this and actually think it's a bit sneaky of schools to do it.  Your regular teaching hours are under 22 I assume so your actual overtime pay for this will be something like 6,000 per hour.  I can't think of anyone who would want to stay after 5pm for that little amount.  Definitely not worth it.

I'm in PS and in the contract, OT is at a fixed rate regardless of my weekly teaching hours. I could have 1 TH per week, and my OT rate is still 15,000 or 20,000 won (forget which) per lesson.
I'm pretty sure anything after 5pm has to be agreed upon by both parties though. However, it's been sprung on me at the end of the day (all the teachers have gone home early. It's just me and the admin lady left here), and I don't see my school until winter camp. >.< And even then, I don't think the person to talk to about this will be here then.
Apparently, everything about it has been decided, all the paperwork has been done (haven't signed anything about it), and it will start the first full week of school in March. >.<

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4738 on: December 26, 2017, 03:13:46 PM »

I'm in PS and in the contract, OT is at a fixed rate regardless of my weekly teaching hours. I could have 1 TH per week, and my OT rate is still 15,000 or 20,000 won (forget which) per lesson.
I'm pretty sure anything after 5pm has to be agreed upon by both parties though. However, it's been sprung on me at the end of the day (all the teachers have gone home early. It's just me and the admin lady left here), and I don't see my school until winter camp. >.< And even then, I don't think the person to talk to about this will be here then.
Apparently, everything about it has been decided, all the paperwork has been done (haven't signed anything about it), and it will start the first full week of school in March. >.<

Yeah I would have thought so too considering it's outside of your contracted hours. Damn.

Hopefully it might be that they forget all about it by the time March rolls around or no students show up so you can just leave.  Fingers crossed!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #4739 on: December 26, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »

That's because they're not allowed to do it.  If you teach outside the contracted hours you get paid 20 000 won or over that, if it is different.  This year I had night classes at three different schools, one middle school was two classes from 7-8:30 pm and I got 30 000 won for each class.  I taught at one high school from 6:30 to 8pm and was paid 40 000 won for each hour.  At my high school, I taught from 6:50 to 8pm and got 55 000 won for that.  They were all because I was outside the contracted hours, even though I was teaching under 22 hours (18 hours to be exact). 

Also, 6000 won is for non-teaching overtime, if they pay you that for teaching, it is wrong.  I judged at my school debate contest from 6pm to 9pm and got paid the 6000 won for each hour.  I was fine with that as that's what it's there for. 

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018