January 22, 2018, 06:44:10 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 468243 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4720 on: December 14, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
I don't know what to do with myself.

As much as I disagree with people like CJ when he asserts that I'm not a "real teacher" because I don't have the right pieces of paper, I do have to agree when he points out that there is no long-term benefit to teaching in Korea.

I've already hit the EPIK cap, so now no matter how long I stay here, that's what I'm stuck with. I've thought about going elsewhere, but since I don't have that piece of paper, I'm limited to places where I'd make even less than I make here, or would have less leftover after bills at the end the month than I have now.

For a while I was starting to convince myself that I don't mind the pay cut, as long as I got to go somewhere new and interesting. However, recently the health of a few family members back home has been deteriorating, and because I don't come from a wealthy family, that means they often struggle to make ends meet. I'm not rich here by any stretch, but I have enough disposable income that I'm able to send them money to help with things like surprise medical costs, rent, or utilities. If I were to do something like go teach in Japan, which I had been looking in to, I wouldn't have the money available to help like that.

Of course there's also the possibility of getting the qualifications that might allow me a better paying job elsewhere, maybe even with actual upward mobility. However, looking in to that, I'm struggling to find a way to pay for it that won't leave me similarly unable to help family back home until it was all paid for. I could try it anyway and just keep my fingers crossed that nothing too serious will happen for the next however many years, but the nature of their health problems suggests that'd be quite the gamble.

I wish I could go back in time, slap myself, and say "Get a degree in something useful, you idiot." Then I might not be sitting here at 36 with my BA in Spanish wondering how I can simultaneously have a life I enjoy and help my parents not have to choose between staying alive and paying rent.

Wasn't sure whether this mess should go in this thread or the ranting/venting thread, since it's both rambling AND venting. I think I only went with this one because it's been bumped more recently.  :laugh:
I'm in a similar position. Contemplating leaving and going back to school. Only thing that's kept me here for the last year is my relationship, which I'm still in, but I just feel so... done here.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4721 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
Haha, I suppose that could have been clarified. My mom collects heart shaped rocks, always has ever since we lived on a river island. So every time I go traveling, I find her a new heart rock.

How large is her collection? Does she label where the rocks came from?

I once knew someone who collected soil/dirt from every country he visited. He'd keep them in labeled vials and had them displayed on a really nice rack. Makes me wonder how someone decides to collect dirt, though, without being involved in like, say, geology or whatever.
She doesn't label the ones she has from boring old America, but she's labelled all the ones that I've gotten her from places. She has a Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Indonesian, Moroccan, Spanish, Japanese, and Korean rock.Unfortunately I missed a few other places.

This is actually a very cool idea!!!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4722 on: December 14, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
After what will be seven years straight with only school vacations as a break I'm definitely at a low enthusiasm ebb.  I enjoy my school and am in a five year relationship with a local woman. but the repetition and boredom is doing me in.  I have my own place so I have a lot of accumulated items that I don't want to lose, but I need more than a two week break to re-charge the batteries at the least.  May be about putting things in storage and taking off to somewhere different and bumming around for three months on a d10.  Come back and see if it was enough time away, or decide this lengthy chapter of my life is closed. 

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4723 on: December 14, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »
Haha, I suppose that could have been clarified. My mom collects heart shaped rocks, always has ever since we lived on a river island. So every time I go traveling, I find her a new heart rock.

How large is her collection? Does she label where the rocks came from?

I once knew someone who collected soil/dirt from every country he visited. He'd keep them in labeled vials and had them displayed on a really nice rack. Makes me wonder how someone decides to collect dirt, though, without being involved in like, say, geology or whatever.
She doesn't label the ones she has from boring old America, but she's labelled all the ones that I've gotten her from places. She has a Russian, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Indonesian, Moroccan, Spanish, Japanese, and Korean rock.Unfortunately I missed a few other places.

This is actually a very cool idea!!!
It's one of the easiest things to get. I never really know what to get her as a sort of souvenir, but this is always a go too. I'm gonna have to look pretty hard in the Alps though, I don't know how many small rock bits there are going to be lying around.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4724 on: December 15, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
I've kind of noticed more people in my gym than in the previous couple of years. Normally once the cold weather sets in, they disappear, but I feel like there are more people now than there were during the summer when they were trying to get their beach bodies ready.

The younger guys now outnumber the older ones. Used to be the other way around.

I'm also surprised to see more Korean ladies actually trying to use the weight machines instead of sticking strictly to the treadmills and cycles. Happy to see that more women here are starting to realize that lifting weights =/= getting bodybuilder big.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:10:49 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #4725 on: December 15, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4726 on: December 18, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »
Last week while invigilating the maths test, I saw the multiple choice answers from the Korean history test on the board.  I thought Korean teachers were supposed to make the ratio of 1,2,3,4 and 5 fairly even so that students can't get a high score from marking all the same number.  Thing was out of 18 questions, seven were number 5 and six were  number 4 and one was number 1. So I asked my wife and she said that number 1 is rarely the answer.  Doesn't this kind of thinking kind of make multiple choice kind of pointless?

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #4727 on: December 18, 2017, 08:56:55 AM »
Last week while invigilating the maths test, I saw the multiple choice answers from the Korean history test on the board.  I thought Korean teachers were supposed to make the ratio of 1,2,3,4 and 5 fairly even so that students can't get a high score from marking all the same number.  Thing was out of 18 questions, seven were number 5 and six were  number 4 and one was number 1. So I asked my wife and she said that number 1 is rarely the answer.  Doesn't this kind of thinking kind of make multiple choice kind of pointless?

The futility of these tests are even more apparent by the fact multiple choice applies to the history test. What a joke. How about writing an essay to utilise some critical thinking and engineer some debate? When I was in year 11 half of the GCSE history curriculum was on Russia in the early 20th century. I remember one of the questions in a mock exam was something along the lines of whether or not it was a surprise the provisional government after the Tsar abdicated lasted only 9 months. The class prior or after, I can't remember, revolved around the teacher and us discussing the topic and explaining ways to tackle the question. My teacher emphasised that there was no necessary right or wrong answer but how you articulate your line of argument and belief.

Gone on a bit of a tangent, but history was my favourite subject at school. A bit silly that it's been reduced to multiple choice here.

*cowers in a corner before Martino sees this*

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4728 on: December 18, 2017, 10:18:17 AM »
My brain has reached end of semester mode and is no longer functioning properly. I am currently being amused by watching an admin, on a facebook group, have a right out there in everyone's face, mental breakdown. Amused for days.
-A.A. Milne

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4729 on: December 18, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »

Saw this the other day:

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4730 on: December 18, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »

Saw this the other day:

Truly bad.  But ... that's not Korean, is it?

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4731 on: December 18, 2017, 03:35:20 PM »
My brain has reached end of semester mode and is no longer functioning properly. I am currently being amused by watching an admin, on a facebook group, have a right out there in everyone's face, mental breakdown. Amused for days.
PALS?

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4732 on: December 18, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
PALS?
Yep! Although I haven't checked this afternoon because I was napping...
-A.A. Milne

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4733 on: December 19, 2017, 07:20:28 AM »

The futility of these tests are even more apparent by the fact multiple choice applies to the history test. What a joke. How about writing an essay to utilise some critical thinking and engineer some debate? When I was in year 11 half of the GCSE history curriculum was on Russia in the early 20th century. I remember one of the questions in a mock exam was something along the lines of whether or not it was a surprise the provisional government after the Tsar abdicated lasted only 9 months. The class prior or after, I can't remember, revolved around the teacher and us discussing the topic and explaining ways to tackle the question. My teacher emphasised that there was no necessary right or wrong answer but how you articulate your line of argument and belief.

Gone on a bit of a tangent, but history was my favourite subject at school. A bit silly that it's been reduced to multiple choice here.

Pretty sure, I can count on one hand how many multiple choice exams I've had in my life.  From primary school, it was short essays or answers.  In secondary, never.  As I was humanities in uni, not on your life.  Koreans need to stop being taught everything ever and learn how to use less information more effectively.  I still can't quite fathom that for the most important, life-forming test ever you can guess an answer you're not sure about and have a 20% of getting it right.  That doesn't show ability, it just shows you can get lucky. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4734 on: December 20, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »
At my school there's a program to pair up language studying students with native Korean students.

According to my teacher, they used to set up M/F pairs but then there was "too much love and not enough study"  :laugh: :laugh: so now they match M/M and F/F.

Student:  But what if gay?
Teacher:  Gay 괜찮아요!
Student: What?!?  :huh:

My teacher is surprisingly progressive for Korea  :laugh:

Also, sometimes the Level 1 classes will practice speaking together (kinda like social mixers), pairing up students from different classes.
If you think listening to (native) Korean is hard, try understanding Korean spoken with a heavy (Vietnamese, this time) accent.  :huh:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4735 on: December 20, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »

Pretty sure, I can count on one hand how many multiple choice exams I've had in my life.  From primary school, it was short essays or answers.  In secondary, never.  As I was humanities in uni, not on your life.  Koreans need to stop being taught everything ever and learn how to use less information more effectively. I still can't quite fathom that for the most important, life-forming test ever you can guess an answer you're not sure about and have a 20% of getting it right.  That doesn't show ability, it just shows you can get lucky.

Applying some basic logic and maths, you're a bit off.

For ONE question, you have a 1 in 4 / .25 chance of getting that question correct. So, for 20 questions, as you have a 1/4 chance per question, you'll most likely get a score of 5/20.

However, the chances of getting a perfect score would be (1/4 X 1/4..... X 1/4   20 times) which is 0.000000000001= F all chance in anyone's language.

For the record, I'm not a fan of multiple choice, especially for subjects like history and languages.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4736 on: December 20, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »
I still can't quite fathom that for the most important, life-forming test ever you can guess an answer you're not sure about and have a 20% of getting it right.  That doesn't show ability, it just shows you can get lucky[/b].

For ONE question, you have a 1 in 4 / .25 chance of getting that question correct. So, for 20 questions, as you have a 1/4 chance per question, you'll most likely get a score of 5/20.

However, the chances of getting a perfect score would be (1/4 X 1/4..... X 1/4   20 times) which is 0.000000000001= F all chance in anyone's language.

For the record, I'm not a fan of multiple choice, especially for subjects like history and languages.
I think that he's assuming that each question has 5 answers to choose from (standard in North America). So that would be a 20% chance of getting the question correct.
If you did this for every question, it would average out to a 20% score (given a large enough sample size).
So if you know only 70 answers out of a hundred, you can still expect to get a 76%. Not a great system, if you ask me.
I remember in university, they dealt with this problem by making incorrect multi-choice answers worth -1 points (while leaving the answer blank would just give you a zero). It discouraged guessing, and made it much easier for professors to immediately see which questions students were uncertain about.
Would suck to get you test back and see that you got a -80%, though,  :laugh: :cry:

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4737 on: December 20, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
I still can't quite fathom that for the most important, life-forming test ever you can guess an answer you're not sure about and have a 20% of getting it right.  That doesn't show ability, it just shows you can get lucky[/b].

I think that he's assuming that each question has 5 answers to choose from (standard in North America). So that would be a 20% chance of getting the question correct.
If you did this for every question, it would average out to a 20% score (given a large enough sample size).
So if you know only 70 answers out of a hundred, you can still expect to get a 76%. Not a great system, if you ask me.
I remember in university, they dealt with this problem by making incorrect multi-choice answers worth -1 points (while leaving the answer blank would just give you a zero). It discouraged guessing, and made it much easier for professors to immediately see which questions students were uncertain about.
Would suck to get you test back and see that you got a -80%, though,  :laugh: :cry:

Fair enough, but my calculation was based on guessing every answer.

When it comes to written answers, marks are often awarded for partially correct answers. If I was doing a difficult chemical equation, but I didn't get the correct final answer, I was awarded marks for the parts I did correctly before I went wrong.

This is taken out of the equation, as it were, when doing multiple choice. You're either 100% correct, or you're totally wrong. You might get the odd question right by guessing, but one gets nothing for having a final wrong answer. I think multiple choice is popular as they are so easy to grade.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4738 on: December 20, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
When it comes to written answers, marks are often awarded for partially correct answers. If I was doing a difficult chemical equation, but I didn't get the correct final answer, I was awarded marks for the parts I did correctly before I went wrong.

This is taken out of the equation, as it were, when doing multiple choice. You're either 100% correct, or you're totally wrong. You might get the odd question right by guessing, but one gets nothing for having a final wrong answer. I think multiple choice is popular as they are so easy to grade.
No arguments there: written answer tests are infinitely better for a million different reasons. They'll never replace scantrons because, as you say, multi-choice tests are super easy to grade.
Damn lazy teachers!

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4739 on: December 20, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »

Fair enough, but my calculation was based on guessing every answer.

That was the same for me in school.  You wrote all the workings on the test paper for your equation and would get some marks for showing you were applying a correct method, even if your final answer was wrong.  If you only wrote the answer, even if correct, you wouldn't get all the marks because you didn't show your workings.  Same for history tests, you could write an essay with some incorrect dates, but well argued and the teacher could see what you were trying to do, and you'd still get some points. You shouldn't be able to blindly guess an answer and have a 20% chance of getting it right in such an important test. 

There seems to be more skills involved with memorising, understanding and writing than just memorising something and choosing one answer.