April 22, 2018, 05:23:26 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 599124 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3840 on: June 26, 2017, 10:37:15 AM »
I don't particularly care because I wouldn't drink it anyway but why am I the only one in the office who doesn't get milk :(
Because you didn't specifically ask for it, I'm guessing. It's a monthly programme that teachers opt in and pay for. Something like 250 won per day when I last checked.

Yeah, teachers have to pay for the milk if they want to receive it. It's not free.

Ahh I see, I assumed it was somehow included in the teacher's fee.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3841 on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
Then the island. So cool. We went clam digging and I got 60 of the things. So deliciousdelicious delicious

Bwahhhha.

On the serious, sounds like a baller time.

Do you know clam? I can eat clams very well.

(But seriously, are you making fun of me? hahaha I don't get it.)

Just poking fun at the delicious bit! Someone here awhile back had a mini rant about Koreans and the word "delicious" so every time I see a NET use that word I giggle inside like the immature child that I am.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #3842 on: June 26, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Then the island. So cool. We went clam digging and I got 60 of the things. So deliciousdelicious delicious

Bwahhhha.

Just poking fun at the delicious bit! Someone here awhile back had a mini rant about Koreans and the word "delicious" so every time I see a NET use that word I giggle inside like the immature child that I am.

Is that delicious?

That word makes me scratch my eyes out.  'Delicious' is a superlative, I can count on one hand the amount of food in last year that has has been 'delicious'.  I don't eat or try to eat 'delicious' food for every meal.   'Cereal, is that delicious?'  NO!  I don't worry if I eat a bread roll, 'was that delicious?'  'NO, of course it wasn't, it was a bread roll'  It will give me the requisite energy to carry on working.  Koreans really messed up in their translations of 맛있다 and their overuse of it!  It is like after watching a film saying, 'was that amazing?'  You don't ask questions with a superlative unless you don't want a proper answer. 

Delicious, my ass!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3843 on: June 26, 2017, 12:45:45 PM »

Bwahhhha.

Is that delicious?

That word makes me scratch my eyes out.  'Delicious' is a superlative, I can count on one hand the amount of food in last year that has has been 'delicious'.  I don't eat or try to eat 'delicious' food for every meal.   'Cereal, is that delicious?'  NO!  I don't worry if I eat a bread roll, 'was that delicious?'  'NO, of course it wasn't, it was a bread roll'  It will give me the requisite energy to carry on working.  Koreans really messed up in their translations of 맛있다 and their overuse of it!  It is like after watching a film saying, 'was that amazing?'  You don't ask questions with a superlative unless you don't want a proper answer. 

Delicious, my ass!

Is it?  :shocked:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #3844 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
Pizza? Almost always delicious.

Pizza is a lot like sex. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #3845 on: June 26, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »

Bwahhhha.

Is that delicious?

Delicious, my ass!

Respectfully, Waygook.org user Dave Stepz, I have to disagree. Maybe because I'm North American, I've never had any problem using or hearing other people use the word delicious to describe something that was, well, delicious. I and everyone I know back home have always used that word very liberally. An example of how common that word is, there's even a TV show called 'F-ck, That's Delicious'. Fresh baked bread? Yeah, that's delicious. Pizza? Almost always delicious. Watch any cooking or food travel show, and you'll hear 'delicious' peppered throughout.

Maybe it's a regional thing. But 'delicious' isn't some weird pariah Konglish.

Respectfully,  Mr Cowboy sir.  We'll have to agree to disagree.  People who think that all food is delicious either have very low standards of what they are eating or they are idiots.  Or a bit of both.  I agree that a liberal smattering of the word 'delicious' is fine, but Koreans have taken it on themselves to expect all food to be 'delicious'.  It just doesn't work like that.  At school, I had some sandwiches I made at home with my aforementioned marmite *ahem* to which I got, 'Is that delicious?'  One of my students tried it said 'ohhhhh, not delicious!'  It doesn't matter.  If you're always going to set yourself up to think everything will be delicious you're going to be severely let down when it isn't.  Also, I don't trust anything cooking programs tell me when someone is eating something, they're on tv eating some food, of course they're going to say it's 'delicious' because they're on tv.  They have to say that.  'How was it?'  'Erm, it was ok!!'  TV MELTDOWN!!!!  Maybe it's my Britishness, that means I'm a miserable bastard and thinking that superlatives should be used sparingly, but that's how it is.  Those of the other side of the pond tend to be a bit more OTT on these things. 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3846 on: June 26, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »
All this talk about bread makes me really want some fresh baked cheese bread right now. Soooo bad.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3847 on: June 26, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
All this talk about bread makes me really want some fresh baked cheese bread right now. Soooo bad.

I can't wait to hit up the bakeries in Japan again. Every morning for breakfast. My favorite was a curry bun that also had a soft boiled egg inside. Utterly DELICIOUS

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3848 on: June 26, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
I was going to say "maybe English needs different words to describe different levels of tastiness, like Spanish has with 'sabroso' vs 'delicioso,' " but then I remembered that English does have different words to describe taste. Loads of them, really.

I think living outside the English speaking world for so long is taking its toll on the ol' Mother Tongue, hahaha.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #3849 on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »
I err on the side of caution with "delicious." It's like if you called every movie you saw "amazing." Yeah, some movies are good. Calling a movie pretty good doesn't do the movie a disservice. It's okay to like ddeokbokki but if you slobber all over every pojang macha ddeokbokki "우와ㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏ 맛있다!" then it cheapens the word. Sometimes food is just food. Hell, most of the time food is just food.

Those clams I had caught 3 hours prior to eating them over an open wood flame grill? That's delicious.

Louis CK for some philosophy on this. 

:afro: Hey, I brought a cup, you know, in case we need another cup.

:cheesy: Dude, you're a GENIUS.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #3850 on: June 26, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
I was going to say "maybe English needs different words to describe different levels of tastiness, like Spanish has with 'sabroso' vs 'delicioso,' " but then I remembered that English does have different words to describe taste. Loads of them, really.

:-* Did you enjoy your meal?

:undecided: It was completely adequate.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3851 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:48 PM »

:-* Did you enjoy your meal?

:undecided: It was completely adequate.

Here are a few (ranked from good to bad):
Spectacular.
Incredible.
Amazing.
Fantastic.

Divine.
Exquisite.
Delicious.
Delectable.

Tasty.
Yummy.
Good.

Not bad (said with enthusiasm).
Not bad (said without much enthusiasm).
Alright.

Okay.
Palatable.
Meh.

Edible.
Pretty bad.
Bad.

Inedible.
Terrible.
Catastrophic.

*Hurk*

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3852 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
Lekker. Just all start saying lekker.

And if it's not lekker it's kak.

It really is that easy.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3853 on: June 27, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »

I can't wait to hit up the bakeries in Japan again. Every morning for breakfast. My favorite was a curry bun that also had a soft boiled egg inside. Utterly DELICIOUS

See, everyone keeps telling me this about Japanese bakeries. I really need to finally plan a trip there, even if it means going alone.  :evil:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #3854 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »
10 years flies by!!

On June 27th 2007, I disembarked from a terrible Aeroflot flight from Moscow into this new country.  It was a little bit humid, but I thought, 'ok'.  My orders were to take the bus to Daejeon and then wait.  I was knackered, smelly but excited.  All this funny alphabet everywhere.  What did it mean?  I got to Daejeon which took a good couple of hours.  On meeting my recruiter in Daejeon, 'Ok' let's go further' 'Erm, ok'  Into a car for another two-hour trip somewhere.  By now I had no idea where I was and I was too tired to really care.  On arrival at the Office of Education I was greeted by the supervisor, school principal and various other teachers, all at the same time.  'Remember your manners'  I kept thinking while, struggling to concentrate.  'Christ, I must look like shit'  'Ok, Dave teacher let's go for dinner'  All I wanted to do was to go to my new apartment, take a shower and go to bed.  'Come on!'  So off we hopped.  'Do you want a fork?' 'Please!'  Never having used chopsticks before.  Sitting on the floor was kind of painful for the first time.  Then off we hopped, back into a car will all others in tow, about six people if I remember rightly.  Cue my new 'room'.  Everyone came in, walking around and checking around to make sure everything was ok.  'Please leave!' I thought, this is all nice and good but I'm knacked.  Eventually, they left.  'We'll pick you tomorrow at 8am, is that ok?'  'Sure, I'll be waiting'  *door shuts*  I sit on my bed exhausted.  I saw a 7/11 by the house.  I lurched out the door and headed there.  It was too late to do proper shopping.  Hmmm, foreign beer.  Sapporo Silver Cup!  So I picked up two and headed back to my house.  'This place is kind of small' I thought as I opened my 'silver can' and set my alarm for the next day......

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3855 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »

See, everyone keeps telling me this about Japanese bakeries. I really need to finally plan a trip there, even if it means going alone.  :evil:
Seconded on the Japanese bakeries. I had some apple cream bun when I was there, and it was... delicious. Or perhaps scrumdiddlyumptios is better.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3856 on: June 27, 2017, 11:38:57 AM »

Seconded on the Japanese bakeries. I had some apple cream bun when I was there, and it was... delicious. Or perhaps scrumdiddlyumptios is better.

Thirded. Their bread & snacks not only look good, but they TASTE good too! Imagine that.
Amen. I saw a girl who was newish to Korea make a post on FB yesterday about how excited she was to find cinnamon rolls at Paris Baguette and how much she loved cinnamon rolls and how these looked so good and how excited she is to try them...

I have tried their rolls. They are not good. Look pretty, sure, but the taste is nada.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3857 on: June 27, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »

Thirded. Their bread & snacks not only look good, but they TASTE good too! Imagine that.
Amen. I saw a girl who was newish to Korea make a post on FB yesterday about how excited she was to find cinnamon rolls at Paris Baguette and how much she loved cinnamon rolls and how these looked so good and how excited she is to try them...

I have tried their rolls. They are not good. Look pretty, sure, but the taste is nada.

I haven't been to enough countries yet but Japan has my favorite baked goods. I do have a friend who has been to both France and Japan and prefers the latter's bakeries lol.

Even the prepackaged convenience store breads are good!

@chinguetti-- go alone if you have to! I went solo over golden week and I'm going solo again. There are affordable airbnbs to be found for even the solo traveler!

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3858 on: June 27, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »

As someone who loves baked goods, I too had to come to the realization that most of the bakeries here are a waste of money. If there are any good ones out there, I'd love to know  :cry: I feel a rant coming on about the mediocre uniformity of Korean bakeries and cafes. How is it they all sell just slightly better or worse versions of the same things? Why is there no variety in their menus?! Ah.. but this is the wrong thread for that.
Guess it depends what you're looking for. I have found one bakery that does amazing cinnamon rolls and SF style bagels, I found one this weekend with quite a good sourdough (that you also don't have to break the bank for), and a couple that have quite good tarts and loaves of chocolate bread.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3859 on: June 27, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
Guess it depends what you're looking for. I have found one bakery that does amazing cinnamon rolls and SF style bagels, I found one this weekend with quite a good sourdough (that you also don't have to break the bank for), and a couple that have quite good tarts and loaves of chocolate bread.

Basically. 

There is a small place in Mokpo that has the absolute best macarons. Dunno the name but I know how to get there. Every other macaron I've ever had before that place is crap in comparison. Crisp exterior with chewy/soft inner cookie part and cream cheese based filling. Marvelous. They only sell macarons and beverages. And they often sell out of the former.

There is also a slightly hidden homemade cheesecake place in Yeonggwang that has seasonal flavors. Pretty divine. The apple mango is my favorite.

Good bakeries exist in Korea but are perhaps just harder to find amidst the glut of basic chains. I feel like it's easier to find bakeries in Japan that make goods that are particularly pleasing to my palate.