January 20, 2018, 07:01:08 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 467127 times)

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2015, 08:42:05 AM »
Bit of a Monday blues addition.

As the OP I would like to know why a moderator felt the need to show up and give us a patronizing warning. As the OP I never asked people to post their thoughts as long as they had nothing to do with Korea unless positive.

If people have a gripe let them have a whinge. It's not derailing any thread. It's not making life difficult for someone looking for information. It's not "spreading panic" as sometimes you mods fear. What was the point of that warning?

Where in the terms and conditions does it say we cannot criticize Korea or say when something Korean annoys us?

I know there's no harm done either way but it just rankles me. Frankly it made me think the mod wanted to remind us that we can only have fun if he allows it.

But it triggers some people. Let's coddle them. /s

Getting rid of a lot of the Korean hate threads will make waygook a more pleasant site, and will in turn help to prevent creating more anti-Korean mindsets for people who frequent this site. Especially people new to Korea are very prone to just absorb all the hate on this site and have it muddy up their views and experiences in Korea.
This of course, doesn't make it right to deny views and people who just need to blow off some steam. There is nothing wrong with being critical of a society or culture as well. Just, this site being a gloomy conglomeration of anti-Korean sentiments doesn't help even the foreigners cope with their problems either. It only confirms their dislikes and reinforces them.
I actually find entertainment out of these kinds of talks though... I'm twisted like that  :lipsrsealed:

You would have a point if it was a general thread but this was specifically a rant and ramble thread. What's more the thread had seemed pretty balanced. There was music, some teaching gripes and amusing if slightly scabrous tales of digestion. It was not getting out of hand and I think the warning was unnecessary and censorious.

It's also a rather ridiculous expectation. We live and work in Korea for Korean organisations. People are bound to have some ire directed at something Korean. If you want to stop the website becoming a depressing hate-fest then act like a cop not a prison guard. Identify people who turn threads into viper pits, warn them and then ban them.

PS: Dear Moderators. I am in no way questioning your wits or wisdom. You are our kindly shepherds gently guiding us down the dark hillside. Furthermore I am not, nor have I ever been, a member of the American Communist Party.

Nothing wrong with a little pre emptive warning from mods. Just cause it's a "ramblings" thread doesn't mean you can go off saying whatever shit you want... "ramblings" is a really broad topic that certain people can easily take advantage of.

If I start a "lets be racist towards black people thread", does that mean its now okay to be racist towards black people?
Open your mind.

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2015, 08:42:47 AM »
Also, This is a pointless Friday thread, why are people even daring posting in it on any other   day?  :huh:
Open your mind.

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2015, 08:48:20 AM »
Nothing wrong with a little pre emptive warning from mods. Just cause it's a "ramblings" thread doesn't mean you can go off saying whatever shit you want... "ramblings" is a really broad topic that certain people can easily take advantage of.

If I start a "lets be racist towards black people thread", does that mean its now okay to be racist towards black people?

the problem is there's now almost 2 pages in this thread talking about the mods. this thread was doing just fine until, ironically, the mods came in and derailed it.

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
Did diarrhea dude get back on the boss after soiling the streets?
Yes, the shame was real deep though. He had tissues and a water bottle to wash his hands, at least.

Man, I can't even imagine.  Nothing left to do in that situation but own it proudly.  :laugh:

Offline aklimkewicz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
Speaking of moderators, weigookin74's superfluous won woes thread was merged into the Exchange Rate megathread. Good job mods!
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2015, 09:00:31 AM »
To be fair, every Friday there's some fun and games on here, so when there's a specifically 'off-topic' thread, it's pretty likely to end in chaos. Glad it didn't though, definite signs of improving the general vibe round here :)

Also, don't take the warning so personally, it wasn't directed at you, it just meant that anyone coming to troll the thread can't claim that they were 'on-topic' or whatever.

Not taking it personally. It's just something I can rant about coupled with some Monday blues.

I guess it's just my bag to fight the man. Power to the people!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxGqcCeV3qk

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »
I'll post a pointless Monday rambling.  I'm sitting here trying to write a script for a musical for middle school girls for summer camp.  The theme, I kid you not, is Middle School the Musical.  My co-t thinks we could do something similar to High School Musical.  I didn't realize she would actually expect me to write a script!!! :shocked: I think most of it may come from text book dialogs.  This is unreal.  :rolleyes:

Offline bagel

• Veteran
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »
It's monday morning and everything sucks. I came to school in a rush, got here and its a billion degrees, my co teacher is pronouncing english words completely wrong, he's asking me for a summer camp complete lesson plan and materials list to turn in in a few hours, and the students are screaming and I'm almost screaming. mondays are the worst

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2015, 10:41:10 AM »
Oddly enough my morning has gone great so far. The kids have been good and enthusiastic. We seem to have invented a game upon which I go to google maps, pick up the street view dude and close my eyes. They yell stop and I drop the dude and we see what we see. So far it has been pretty awesome. Added bonus is that the admin folk have turned on the AC after the second period. So far so good.

Now if only we could rid ourselves of these damned mods.

Hasta la victoria siempre!

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2015, 11:18:12 AM »
My co teacher needs my afternoon class for exam review and all my morning classes are done. Time to surf the interwebs. Monday isn't so bad. Especially when its ending with 치맥   ;D

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2015, 12:18:37 PM »
My kids are absolutely animals today.

It's gonna be a fun week next week, come exam time.  :shocked:

Offline AndyKanerva

• Super Waygook
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
Did diarrhea dude get back on the boss after soiling the streets?
Yes, the shame was real deep though. He had tissues and a water bottle to wash his hands, at least.

Man, I can't even imagine.  Nothing left to do in that situation but own it proudly.  :laugh:
This was very early on into my time here, as well. I was admittedly quite tipsy on a bus and contemplating taking a road pee when it happened as well. I had no idea what was happening (had I, I would have taken the road pee), which made it so much more glorious when I saw the ass blast from the bus. Behind the tinted glass I felt like a spectator in the zoo.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »
Tuesday ramblings....

I'm done this August, and the closer I get to the end date, the further it seems to get.  I woke up this morning and thought "6 more weeks!" and then I was like, "Bloody hell, six more effing weeks..."  It's felt 'close' for so long, but it still isn't really close.  Like, three weeks ago my friend bought me a beer because I was almost gone.  That feels like ages ago and I'm not even in the same zodiac sign period as my end date yet. 

I often feel this way at this time of year.  Spring semester just draaaags.  Most of my friends are uni or int'l school so they're leaving on their vacations now.  And I just wake up in the morning and realize we haven't even finalized camp yet.

Just end, you stupid semester.  JUST END. 

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2015, 10:07:48 AM »
Went swimming yesterday and I feel somehow cheated. Some of the instructors/lifeguards decided to blast K-pop at ear-splitting volume. I know it shouldn't but this really made me furious. The pool is my place to clear my head and relax. I gently swim along start to unwind. Why did they have to ruin it? Who in their right mind thinks that lane swimming needs a soundtrack?

Offline meepmoopimmarobots

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2015, 10:20:23 AM »
I tripped over a chair leg and gashed my toe open.  :(

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2015, 10:22:54 AM »
Can't wait to go on vacation. Not that I"m having a bad time, but I just dont feel right unless I am planning, or going on vacation. + I'm not travelling as much as I used to around Korea, and that makes me sad. Torn between travelling + spending money, and not travelling and saving money. God, if only the present mattered  >:(
Open your mind.

Zealot_Hill

« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2015, 10:25:29 AM »
Korea is turning me into a bit of an alcoholic. I don't really have a stressful time with what I do, other than with 1 of my 3 schools were my co doesn't speak English well.

I drink a half bottle of soju every night to blunt the sorrow of being unable to effectively communicate with 95% of people I meet every day.

Every man is an island...

Offline englishrose

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2015, 10:47:27 AM »
I have also joined the vacation countdown club. I never used to. I have always liked vacation but of late I have started to see it as a necessity. I need it to recharge.

I don't know why but recently I have decided that Korea would be a very nice place if they just turned the volume down a bit. I mean for everything. Music, conversations, children, dogs and ringtones all seem unnecessarily loud.

Are Koreans naturally hard of hearing? Do they find loud noises comforting?

Offline Timo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
I have also joined the vacation countdown club. I never used to. I have always liked vacation but of late I have started to see it as a necessity. I need it to recharge.

I don't know why but recently I have decided that Korea would be a very nice place if they just turned the volume down a bit. I mean for everything. Music, conversations, children, dogs and ringtones all seem unnecessarily loud.

Are Koreans naturally hard of hearing? Do they find loud noises comforting?

It's called 'getting old'.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »
I'm hungry.