April 23, 2018, 07:24:31 PM

Author Topic: There's a hanguk.org in your country. What do the Korean ex-pats complain about?  (Read 14864 times)

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
Hey nerds, stop taking everything so seriously.

Yikes.

Lol, this thread was going too well for too long. People coming in with poorly disguised racism in the form of jokes and Demartino donning his cape to save Korea  :laugh: :laugh:

Like we understand: one side hates Korea/Koreans and one guy loves Korea/Koreans. But can you lot just stop following each other to every thread? The same people go around ruining just about every thread on here with their internet rivalry and it's a whee bit pathetic  :cry:

That's how we connect here on waygook.  By the way, I have a feeling you will fit in quite nicely.    :afro:

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
Like we understand: one side hates Korea/Koreans and one guy loves Korea/Koreans.

I don't hate Koreans.  This thread has shown those who have their fingers on the pulse or have an imagination and that person who has neither of those pre-requisites to post.

'I got two warnings from my gym, once for blow-drying my balls with the hairdryer and then another for not putting my weights back after finishing.  How does that work?'

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
If it's anything like waygook, then here are some thread titles.

'They banned Hangul Word at our school!'

'When will Park Geun Hye be impeached?'

'Things to check out in Korea town'

'Discrimination in Canada'

Offline gflips

• Adventurer
Hey guys

I quit my job and my foreigner boss still paid me for my last 2 weeks of work. Is this normal?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
I don't hate Koreans.  This thread has shown those who have their fingers on the pulse or have an imagination and that person who has neither of those pre-requisites to post.

If you think you have your finger on the pulse of how Koreans act in the United States, you're full of shit. You don't know what you're talking about.

How much experience do you have with Koreans back home? For 10 years I interacted with Koreans of all ages on a near-daily basis. Virtually none of the things that have been posted here were ever mentioned (aside from some of the more lighthearted ones with food).

People coming in with poorly disguised racism in the form of jokes

Exactly. That's what happened. It started out fine. Unfortunately it went downhill when some posters came on here. Literally its the equivalent of some people thinking black people all smoke crack, listen to rap, and are in gangs and thinking that's some sort of "just kidding" kind of joke.

The thing is, they weren't even jokes. It was just bad comedy. If you're going to hate, at least be funny and original. This is just the equivalent of 'Me so solly, Me likeuh the flied lice". Of course these are the same people that howl at the slightest thing involving Koreans and scream about how rabidly racist this place is.  :rolleyes:

What I don't get is why these people don't admit to themselves that they are in fact racist bigots. Just cop to it. At least then maybe you'll come up with some better jokes. Do some of you honestly think you don't say racist stuff sometimes or that you aren't actually a bigot? Have you deluded yourself that much?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
The whole point of this thread was to self reflect and make fun of YOUR OWN country, hahaha. Whatever, when you post something online it is out of your hands at that point.  :police:

Offline bossyaggi

• Adventurer
Why are demartino's examples always against black people?

Just an observation?

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook

Just an observation?

I noticed that too. Probably not the best idea to berate others for being racist to Koreans with examples of racism ONLY against black people... Could have left that part out of his argument. Or just ignore the thread... that's what I often do. Or I read and don't reply if I think people are being dumb.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:57:31 AM by jddavis7 »

Online bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
I can't take it anymore with this adding my own milk and sugar to my coffee

Where can I get me some of that Maxim Gold?

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend

Just an observation?

It is his inability to think in anything other than black and white, for anything, ever. 

I think the heat is getting to him, although he won't admit it.

....you're full of shit. You don't know what you're talking about.

Again, stop projecting.

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
All right, since I actually knew some Koreans back in Can, I'll mention a few of their concerns.

Banking - transferring money from Korea is a bit of a pain in the arse, just like it is here. 
Converting Korean won into CAD is a very costly affair when done in Canada (as opposed to Korea). 

Korean imported stuff is pretty overpriced in Canada.  Rice in Canada is different from Korean rice and they are not too pleased about that.  There are some Korean stores which sell original Korean stuff, but again, it's way overpriced.  Korean kimchi sold in Canada is pretty crappy (even when compared to the emart stuff). 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:26:20 PM by maximmm »

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
I would imagine they would talk about how salty and greasy our food is. When I first got here, I thought the food was tasteless, and whenever I eat real American food it's like a salt lick.

Offline Maclean

• Super Waygook
I'Discrimination in Canada'

You mean the "no straight white males need apply" thing.

Can't saee why they'd complain about that.

Offline militantfrogwhisperer

• Newgookin
Why don't the gyms have the vibrating belt machines? How am I supposed to get a great workout while looking at my phone?

I'm a 30 year old woman and my boyfriend of six months hasn't proposed yet. Does he love me enough? Probably not because he isn't jealous enough. He doesn't stop me from hanging out with other guys and he doesn't get jealous of my male co-workers. He must not love me enough.

Offline Maclean

• Super Waygook
I was driving my autobike along the sidewalk and people were scolding me and pointing to the road. So rude.

People here don't slam their doors. How do they keep ghosts away from their homes?

People here cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze.  Why don't they share? So selfish.

I was eating my food 'deliciously' in a restaurant and a person came in, looked at me with a look of disgust and walked out. So racist against the Korean.

People don't know their blood type. How can they choose their friends and employees?

No-one here has heard of Dokdo, K-pop or Jejudo.  The schools here must be of a very poor quality. I will tell them about these things. "Do you know____?"

I had my car towed and impounded. It was only parked on the crosswalk for eight hours. Why do they police here enforce the law. It's so confusing.

There are no foul smells here. Do Canadians not have sewer systems yet? So primitive.

I was smoking under a 'no smoking' sign and spitting after each inhale and someone (younger than me) told me to stop it. They have no respect for age here.

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
Someone was doing this "wiping" thing with a towel after he had finished using a bench in the gym. How strange.

The old ladies here face forward on the treadmills and not back

Some thug honked his horn at me and swore when I was driving at night without my headlights on. Insane considering from the youthful pitch of his voice I clearly had more grey hairs than him.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
I tailgated 5 centimeters behind someone on the highway for 50 kilometers because I was very busy and had somewhere very important to go, then I honked and flashed my lights at him because he wasn't driving fast enough. He got out of his car and yelled at me while shaking his fist! Westerners are really scary and dangerous!

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
"I was at a cafe drinking an overpriced coffee.  I went to go use the bathroom and I left my purse at the table.  When I came back my purse was gone.  I panicked and started crying.  I went outside distraught.  Suddenly, a man walked up to me.  A soda can with some holes poked in it and a small ziplock bag with something yellowish white in said ziplock bag fell out of his pocket.  He had a purse just like mine and offered to sell it to me for 50 cents and two cigarettes.  I paid the price and have a bag.  Replacing the contents of my old purse will be difficult.  I hate the crime that goes on here.   :cry:"

Online debbiem89

• Adventurer
The whole point of this thread was to self reflect and make fun of YOUR OWN country, hahaha. Whatever, when you post something online it is out of your hands at that point.  :police:

Yesssss exactly.

baha some people can't help themselves.

If they were in England they'd probably complain that everyone apologises for breathing pretty much.

ALSO paying for water and side dishes at a restaurant has to suck for them.

Online debbiem89

• Adventurer

Yesssss exactly.

baha some people can't help themselves.

If they were in England they'd probably complain that everyone apologises for breathing pretty much.

ALSO paying for water and side dishes at a restaurant has to suck for them.

Wait what? Where would you have to pay for water at a restaurant?

YAAAAHH. Unless you specifically say "tap water" they'll bring out a fancy bottle and charge you a fortune.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
The 2018 KOTESOL National Conference. Crossing Borders: Korean ELT in the Modern World. May 12 Kangnam University, Yongin
koreatesol.org/nc2018