December 11, 2018, 05:52:08 AM

Author Topic: There's a hanguk.org in your country. What do the Korean ex-pats complain about?  (Read 18803 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Are you really that far removed from reality that you equate someone eating on the Food Network with what we must endure when watching a Korean food show / commercial?

Really? They do super close ups on the FN? The guests on the show then proceed to eat the food Korea style? Really? I'd love to see that. Please post a link. I'm repay your kindness by posting a clip from a Korea food show.

Is it 100% the same? No. Is it overplayed and exaggerated at times, especially on a show like Guy Fieri's? Yeah. Even throwdown with Bobby Flay would have the occasional over-the-top reaction shot.

And for goodness sakes, its someone slurping, quit being so melodramatic. This gets you way more irritated than you should be.

Offline Maclean

• Veteran
Are you really that far removed from reality that you equate someone eating on the Food Network with what we must endure when watching a Korean food show / commercial?

Really? They do super close ups on the FN? The guests on the show then proceed to eat the food Korea style? Really? I'd love to see that. Please post a link. I'm repay your kindness by posting a clip from a Korea food show.

Is it 100% the same? No. Is it overplayed and exaggerated at times, especially on a show like Guy Fieri's? Yeah. Even throwdown with Bobby Flay would have the occasional over-the-top reaction shot.

And for goodness sakes, its someone slurping, quit being so melodramatic. This gets you way more irritated than you should be.

I wish it was just slurping, but it's waaaay more than just that. They don't slurp galbi but it's still painful to witness the sounds and sights of them eating it 'deliciously' on one of those shows. Even if there's nothing on the table that might conceivably be slurped. No-one watching the Food Network back home has a reaction akin to "By the gods, why would anyone - anyone, anywhere, at any time, in their right mind, and raised on planet earth - opt to eat their food like like that?"

Korean food shows be nasty.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:52:13 PM by Maclean »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Hey nerds, stop taking everything so seriously.

Yikes.

It started out that way. But now it's on the verge of turning into something bigoted.

It's at that point where someone took some Chappelle Show-esqe stereotype clowning and turned it into a hate rant.

kobayashi's last post was essentially this- blackfolks.org version

"Yo yo yo, why these cops be bullshit yo? The other day me and my homies jumped this white b for walkin in our hood and stole his bike and the cops threw us in jail. Can't believe them racist cops dawg. I'm bout to claim police brutality. BLM No Justice No Peace"

And look at his response. He wasn't posting it as a joke. He seemed to genuinely believe it and treat it as the norm. The worst part though? It really doesn't have much basis in reality.

Like I said earlier, I wish this had split into 3 subthreads- One for all in good fun stereotype jokes, one for meta jokes that compare users and waygook.org themes translated into hanguk.org, and finally one for people who genuinely wanted to discuss the topic because sadly, it does seem like some on this site genuinely believe that's how Koreans are overseas and that's really disturbing. 

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
- insert food in your mouth
- nod while chewing loudly with your mouth open
- "ah, mashgetda"

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend

Yikes.

It started out that way. But now it's on the verge of turning into something bigoted.

Oh, right, we're supposed to be apologists like you and only post things like "foreigners are always to blame for everything and Koreans never do anything bad ever."

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Oh, right, we're supposed to be apologists like you and only post things like "foreigners are always to blame for everything and Koreans never do anything bad ever."
Was his post meant as a joke or did he seriously think that is true? He sure reacted like he thought it was true.

Offline 14u14me2

• Newgookin
Was his post meant as a joke or did he seriously think that is true? He sure reacted like he thought it was true.

what does this demartino do besides defending koreans 24/7?

Online some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
I can only offer this helpless piece of anecdotal dim-whittery:

I can recall teaching a young adult male student who had spent a couple of years

overseas.

He said, " Koreans don't know how to live"!!

donovan

I can only offer this helpless piece of anecdotal dim-whittery:

I can recall teaching a young adult male student who had spent a couple of years

overseas.

He said, " Koreans don't know how to live"!!

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
I should have paid attention in all those english classes you paid for..... English is kind of important outside Korea....Korea isn't actually the centre of the world... 

Offline HyooMyron

• Super Waygook

Yikes.

Lol, this thread was going too well for too long. People coming in with poorly disguised racism in the form of jokes and Demartino donning his cape to save Korea  :laugh: :laugh:

Like we understand: one side hates Korea/Koreans and one guy loves Korea/Koreans. But can you lot just stop following each other to every thread? The same people go around ruining just about every thread on here with their internet rivalry and it's a whee bit pathetic  :cry:

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan

Yikes.

Lol, this thread was going too well for too long. People coming in with poorly disguised racism in the form of jokes and Demartino donning his cape to save Korea  :laugh: :laugh:

Like we understand: one side hates Korea/Koreans and one guy loves Korea/Koreans. But can you lot just stop following each other to every thread? The same people go around ruining just about every thread on here with their internet rivalry and it's a whee bit pathetic  :cry:

That's how we connect here on waygook.  By the way, I have a feeling you will fit in quite nicely.    :afro:

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
If it's anything like waygook, then here are some thread titles.

'They banned Hangul Word at our school!'

'When will Park Geun Hye be impeached?'

'Things to check out in Korea town'

'Discrimination in Canada'

Offline gflips

• Adventurer
Hey guys

I quit my job and my foreigner boss still paid me for my last 2 weeks of work. Is this normal?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
I don't hate Koreans.  This thread has shown those who have their fingers on the pulse or have an imagination and that person who has neither of those pre-requisites to post.

If you think you have your finger on the pulse of how Koreans act in the United States, you're full of shit. You don't know what you're talking about.

How much experience do you have with Koreans back home? For 10 years I interacted with Koreans of all ages on a near-daily basis. Virtually none of the things that have been posted here were ever mentioned (aside from some of the more lighthearted ones with food).

People coming in with poorly disguised racism in the form of jokes

Exactly. That's what happened. It started out fine. Unfortunately it went downhill when some posters came on here. Literally its the equivalent of some people thinking black people all smoke crack, listen to rap, and are in gangs and thinking that's some sort of "just kidding" kind of joke.

The thing is, they weren't even jokes. It was just bad comedy. If you're going to hate, at least be funny and original. This is just the equivalent of 'Me so solly, Me likeuh the flied lice". Of course these are the same people that howl at the slightest thing involving Koreans and scream about how rabidly racist this place is.  :rolleyes:

What I don't get is why these people don't admit to themselves that they are in fact racist bigots. Just cop to it. At least then maybe you'll come up with some better jokes. Do some of you honestly think you don't say racist stuff sometimes or that you aren't actually a bigot? Have you deluded yourself that much?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
The whole point of this thread was to self reflect and make fun of YOUR OWN country, hahaha. Whatever, when you post something online it is out of your hands at that point.  :police:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline bossyaggi

• Adventurer
Why are demartino's examples always against black people?

Just an observation?

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
Why are demartino's examples always against black people?

Just an observation?

I noticed that too. Probably not the best idea to berate others for being racist to Koreans with examples of racism ONLY against black people... Could have left that part out of his argument. Or just ignore the thread... that's what I often do. Or I read and don't reply if I think people are being dumb.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:57:31 AM by jddavis7 »

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
I can't take it anymore with this adding my own milk and sugar to my coffee

Where can I get me some of that Maxim Gold?

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
All right, since I actually knew some Koreans back in Can, I'll mention a few of their concerns.

Banking - transferring money from Korea is a bit of a pain in the arse, just like it is here. 
Converting Korean won into CAD is a very costly affair when done in Canada (as opposed to Korea). 

Korean imported stuff is pretty overpriced in Canada.  Rice in Canada is different from Korean rice and they are not too pleased about that.  There are some Korean stores which sell original Korean stuff, but again, it's way overpriced.  Korean kimchi sold in Canada is pretty crappy (even when compared to the emart stuff). 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:26:20 PM by maximmm »