January 21, 2018, 02:21:34 PM

Author Topic: Visa Help :(  (Read 100 times)

Offline mteach

• Explorer
Visa Help :(
« on: January 13, 2018, 04:31:32 AM »
So I am in quite a sticky situation. I am a Korean American living in the states.
First off I just want to ask if anyone has had any problems whilst trying to obtain their visas. I just got off the phone with the Korea Consulate of my state and I was told since I was born between the years of 1988 and 1998 I go by my father's citizenship at the time of my birth. Which to my knowledge he was a Korean citizen with a green card. (strike one) Also, my parents met in the states and got married BUT I was told they probably did not register as a couple in Korea since they thought they would spend their whole lives in the states.. But in order for me to obtain an F4 visa I was told that I would need to go to Korea and register myself as their child, which I cannot do until they register themselves as a couple, which is impossible at the moment because we don't speak to my father anymore. And then once I register myself I need to denounce my Korean citizenship to make me completely legal to get an F4 visa.
So, I asked if there would be a problem in obtaining an E2 visa as a last resort and was told if there is no proof that my father denounced his Korean citizenship before I was born, I would legally in Korea, still be a Korean citizen whether registered on legal family registration or not. Therefore, I would not be eligible to get an E2 at all.

Am I the only one having such a hard time getting my Visa? :(
I have all the other documents apostilled CBC, notarized diploma, US passport, everything... Can anyone pleasssse help a girl out? I'm just trying to get to my ethnic homeland :(

Thanks for reading this super long sob story, but really I would appreciate any help I can possibly get. :)

Online thunderlips

• Expert Waygook
Re: Visa Help :(
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »
So I am in quite a sticky situation. I am a Korean American living in the states.
First off I just want to ask if anyone has had any problems whilst trying to obtain their visas. I just got off the phone with the Korea Consulate of my state and I was told since I was born between the years of 1988 and 1998 I go by my father's citizenship at the time of my birth. Which to my knowledge he was a Korean citizen with a green card. (strike one) Also, my parents met in the states and got married BUT I was told they probably did not register as a couple in Korea since they thought they would spend their whole lives in the states.. But in order for me to obtain an F4 visa I was told that I would need to go to Korea and register myself as their child, which I cannot do until they register themselves as a couple, which is impossible at the moment because we don't speak to my father anymore. And then once I register myself I need to denounce my Korean citizenship to make me completely legal to get an F4 visa.
So, I asked if there would be a problem in obtaining an E2 visa as a last resort and was told if there is no proof that my father denounced his Korean citizenship before I was born, I would legally in Korea, still be a Korean citizen whether registered on legal family registration or not. Therefore, I would not be eligible to get an E2 at all.

Am I the only one having such a hard time getting my Visa? :(
I have all the other documents apostilled CBC, notarized diploma, US passport, everything... Can anyone pleasssse help a girl out? I'm just trying to get to my ethnic homeland :(

Thanks for reading this super long sob story, but really I would appreciate any help I can possibly get. :)

So technically you are a Korean citizen? I'd contact a free legal service like Seoul global center. Or look for a fb group with other f4 people. Seems really strange situation but par for the course here. Good luck!