January 19, 2018, 05:55:22 AM

Author Topic: Koreans and blind corners  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Veteran
Koreans and blind corners
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
Do they teach the highway code at Korean schools?

It seems fairly often that scooters or cyclists will turn a blind corner or exit a blind side-alley at speed. I have seen accidents happen this way. You're supposed to slow right down and look carefully as you proceed.

The logic seems to be that because there usually isn't something coming, its ok to just assume there won't be.
Catch my drift?

Online obwannabe

• Adventurer
Re: Koreans and blind corners
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:57:30 AM »
Do they teach the highway code at Korean schools?

It seems fairly often that scooters or cyclists will turn a blind corner or exit a blind side-alley at speed. I have seen accidents happen this way. You're supposed to slow right down and look carefully as you proceed.

The logic seems to be that because there usually isn't something coming, its ok to just assume there won't be.

They do this when on scooters...running...walking. All the same to them it seems. Just assume nothing is there when changing direction or going around a corner.

Offline andyman73

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
I have seen bus-drivers do this. I am ready to bicycle thru a green light. Then I look to my left and see a bus coming and not stopping about seven seconds after the light change. But, hey, it's okay, because the bus's 4way flashing lights were on. And we all know that light bends around corners... oh, wait, that's sound. never mind.

Cement mixers and other 'professional' drivers drive similar to the god-damn chicken delivery motorbikes. I believe I will see someone get killed before my eyes one of these days.

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
I have seen bus-drivers do this. I am ready to bicycle thru a green light. Then I look to my left and see a bus coming and not stopping about seven seconds after the light change. But, hey, it's okay, because the bus's 4way flashing lights were on. And we all know that light bends around corners... oh, wait, that's sound. never mind.

Cement mixers and other 'professional' drivers drive similar to the god-damn chicken delivery motorbikes. I believe I will see someone get killed before my eyes one of these days.
The rationale is that they're working so it's OK because just having to work is such a "burden." Which just goes to show how lazy your average Korean is.

Time to take a rest.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »
I dont know what it's been like in the rest of Korea the last 3 days, but down here we have had a pretty big dumping of snow. So many drivers do not alter their driving behaviour in these conditions. Running reds, pulling out of side streets suddenly, speeding. Old people ambling across the middle of the road. The roads are like ice rinks and need a much larger stopping distance. But this hasnt occured to about half the drivers on the roads.

Panel beaters must be making an absolute killing.

Offline fdny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:19:24 PM »
Yeah, Korea is a really dangerous place to drive.  oops, oh wait.  The USA is worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Well, these goes another batch of racist posts debunked.

Offline jamienottingham

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:41:45 PM »
Not that I care, but you'd better read those stats again.

United States

Road fatalities per 100,000 vehicles: 12.9
Road fatalities per 1 billion vehicle km: 7.1

Korea

Road fatalities per 100,000 vehicles: 21.2
Road fatalities per 1 billion vehicle km: 16

Offline fdny

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
I don't think so:

Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year:

Korea 9.5
USA 10.6

Sorry about that.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
Yeah, Korea is a really dangerous place to drive.  oops, oh wait.  The USA is worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Well, these goes another batch of racist posts debunked.
And? Are you visiting America soon? Aren'tyou that like 55 year old guy who was complaining about America last month.
Perhaps join a internet discussion forum about America? You might enjoy it more.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 08:01:35 PM »
I don't think so:

Korea 9.5
USA 10.6

Sorry about that.

korea moves at a snail pace compared to the average speed of motorists in the states. it's way more crowded and there's way less efficient driving in general. lower speeds = less fatalities. you can hardly compare the two. but the fatality rate shouldn't be nearly equal as the states. it's not rocket science.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »
I don't think so:

Korea 9.5
USA 10.6

Sorry about that.

I don't really have a leg in this argument, but I wanted to point out a discrepancy.

The USA number of 10.6 is according to WHO data.

If we go by that same data for the same year, Korea is at 12.

The number 9.5 comes from a different data set for some reason, and from a different year. It's not a true and fair comparison, in this case.

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »
I don't think so:

Korea 9.5
USA 10.6

Sorry about that.

korea moves at a snail pace compared to the average speed of motorists in the states. it's way more crowded and there's way less efficient driving in general. lower speeds = less fatalities. you can hardly compare the two. but the fatality rate shouldn't be nearly equal as the states. it's not rocket science.

not to mention that korea has a much less percentage of cars per 1k population. like 46% vs 80%

it's not a good statistic for korea at all
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:12:12 PM by macteacher »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:18 PM »
Be it resolved that both Korea and the USA have poor driving habits.... but Kotea’s are worse.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »
Anyone who's spent 5 minutes in the US and 5 minutes in Korea would tell you the driving here is way worse.

That said, driving in rush hour traffic in California is almost identical to driving in South Korea, except that American drivers will actually STAY IN THEIR ****ING LANES WITHOUT CONSTANTLY WEAVING AROUND LIKE DRUNKS.

Offline propudge

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:41 PM »
Koreas more congested with more pedestrians so you are more likely to knock over a pedestrian.

Online some waygug-in

• Super Waygook
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »
I hear China is way worse, as is India and a host of other SE Asian nations.

For what it's worth, this is probably the umpteenth time this topic has come up in the past few years;

and the question still remains:  If Japan can teach people how to drive/walk/cycle/scooter in an orderly fashion,

Why can't South Korea?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 07:41:15 AM »

For what it's worth, this is probably the umpteenth time this topic has come up in the past few years;

and the question still remains:  If Japan can teach people how to drive/walk/cycle/scooter in an orderly fashion,

Why can't South Korea?

I dunno, probably the same reason Americans or Koreans or Japanese can teach their sports fans to share the same stadium without rows of police separating home and away fans while British people struggle with this basic element of law and order.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 07:45:50 AM »

Why can't South Korea?

I dunno, probably the same reason Americans or Koreans or Japanese can teach their sports fans to share the same stadium without rows of police separating home and away fans while British people struggle with this basic element of law and order.

Still not comprehending the difference between criminality and etiquette. Why can't they teach Koreans not to spit on the sidewalk? I don't know, why can't they teach Americans not to murder each other with guns?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:47:41 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline leaponover

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 05:15:15 PM »
I don't think so:

Korea 9.5
USA 10.6

Sorry about that.

Hence the reason people don't look at much.  They call insurance and play Kai Bai Bow to see who has to pay for it and you are back on your way.  Accidents in the USA are much ore painstaking to take care of...so of course they are more careful.  What's a little property anyway?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
I don't think so:

Korea 9.5
USA 10.6

Sorry about that.

Hence the reason people don't look at much.  They call insurance and play Kai Bai Bow to see who has to pay for it and you are back on your way.  Accidents in the USA are much ore painstaking to take care of...so of course they are more careful.  What's a little property anyway?

And if you are in an accident here, it is very unlikely you will be found 0% responsible.