July 18, 2018, 05:16:42 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Cold Snap  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
Cold Snap
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:46:34 AM »

Has anyone felt any cold snaps in Korea this winter?

A former colleague of mine posted a video on her Facebook
page, driving in the countryside where I used to live. The road
looked very slippery from a tiny bit of  snow or sleet that fell
in that part of southern Korea. But it was nowhere as slippery as
the roads here in Northern Ontario, Canada where I live.

I also found out that in Pattaya, Thailand there was a record low
temperature on December 22, 2017. 18 degrees celcius. I was like,
wow, I never would have expected it to be that cold in Pattaya.
This has been happening everywhere. Here in Canada we experienced
sub-zero cold snaps from as early as November, I was in Montreal
last week where the temperature was down to -25 degrees celcius,
and the Northeastern USA was hampered by a terrible storm that left
cars in Boston submerged in water and then frozen in! As for Korea,
another person I know who lives and works somewhere in Changwon
posted a picture outside of her school where a good amount of snow
just fell. To see that much snow on the ground in Changwon is totally
unusual.

I know that there are cold snaps happening here in Canada and the northern
USA, but how about in Korea? Is Korea being hit by this unusual cold snap
right now? One thing's for sure is that it's good for the 2018 Winter Olympics.
I know how Korean winters are, they are not that cold and snowy unless you
are living in Taebaek-si.

Offline sojuadventurer

• Super Waygook
Re: Cold Snap
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:50:55 AM »
I live near Daegu and we've definitely been experiencing a cold snap for the last few days. It even snowed a couple of days. The temp has definitely been bone chilling.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:00:41 AM »
Today it has gotten down to -15, while previously it was -1 at most, so yeah, I'd say it's a bit of a cold snap.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 10:40:53 AM »
I'm pretty happy about it. A lot of places that are normally busy aren't so busy right now.  :angel:

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
It was -17 in my area today...felt like -21 with the wind chill..so its definitely a cold snap for Korea

What I find funny is that most people can't be bothered to wear a winter hat, or gloves...or anything that would
help with the cold. ( It might mess up their pretty hair)  :laugh:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
It was -17 in my area today...felt like -21 with the wind chill..so its definitely a cold snap for Korea

What I find funny is that most people can't be bothered to wear a winter hat, or gloves...or anything that would

I've noticed that many people here seem to wear the same winter clothes when it 45F/7C out that they wear when it's 5F/-15C. If they're anything like the admin at my school and their control of the heat/AC, winter temperatures are determined by the calendar, not the thermometer.  :laugh:

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:55:12 AM »

I've noticed that many people here seem to wear the same winter clothes when it 45F/7C out that they wear when it's 5F/-15C. If they're anything like the admin at my school and their control of the heat/AC, winter temperatures are determined by the calendar, not the thermometer.  :laugh:

Agreed..Koreans rush to put on jackets in October...and thats where it ends..They don't modify what they are wearing even though it goes down 15 degrees.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
Just make sure the gloves and hat are super-stylish and come from trendy companies.

Then let them admire you and wish they were you.

Offline Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Just make sure the gloves and hat are super-stylish and come from trendy companies.

2018 PyeongChang hats and gloves must be out there.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »

Agreed..Koreans rush to put on jackets in October...and thats where it ends..They don't modify what they are wearing even though it goes down 15 degrees.

true. i'm walking around bundled up in a hat and scarf and gloves and everyone else has their open puffy trendy jacket on and that's it. it's freezing, forget your new perm and put something on your damn head.

Standard Operating Procedure for the Sparkling High-IQ Children of the Han. When it's -20 and I'm all bundled up with a hat on, scarf, giant gloves, wool socks pulled up high, long underwear etc, they're wearing sneakers with no socks, no hat, no gloves, no scarf, just the same puffy jacket they surgically attached to their body in September when it was +20 and "so cold."

Korean co-workers in September when it's +20:

Korean co-workers in January when it's -20, the students are turning into icicles, and you ask if maybe just maybe you could pretty please humbly ask the honorable VP if you could turn on the exalted heater for 5 minutes:

Offline Andyman

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
Yes, this is driving me crazy... Seeing students come in with high trousers and bare ankles, swollen red from the cold, while wearing those enormous knee-length coats. I was waiting at the bus stop a few days ago and counted one woman with gloves, and another woman wearing waterproof boots, while everyone else stood around with freezing red hands, looking miserable. I've noticed an absurd number of women wearing soft velvety shoes... in the snow. Do you think any of them ever acknowledge the impracticality of this situation, even silently to themselves, or is it considered a sad fact of life that they must suffer, for society yet lacks the means to protect bare skin against arctic winds, and footwear will never be anything but porous?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »

I’ve seen advertisements for them, but have yet see them in the wild.

I saw a guy last week wearing a “long padding” coat, and rubber shower sandals (no socks).

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »

I saw a guy last week wearing a “long padding” coat, and rubber shower sandals (no socks).

In dude's defense he might have been walking 1 minute away to a mart or something to pick up snacks.

Also, for at least some people, their appearance matters for their job. You can't be showing up to a sales job or your shift at Innisfree with hat hair and wearing dumpy clothing.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 08:52:15 AM »

In dude's defense he might have been walking 1 minute away to a mart or something to pick up snacks.

Also, for at least some people, their appearance matters for their job. You can't be showing up to a sales job or your shift at Innisfree with hat hair and wearing dumpy clothing.

I get both your points, but...

1) the lack of hats and mittens here is more than anecdotal. 
2) Other places with cold weather also have cosmetics sales people.