October 18, 2018, 01:04:05 PM

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Star Wars: The Last Jedi?  (Read 3876 times)

Online rufus947

• Adventurer
Re: Any thoughts on Star Wars: The Last Jedi?
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
I really liked it :). It had some bad scenes... super leia... oh boy.. and of course that weird adventure Rose and Finn take. Rose was a bad addition.
Overall it had so many great moments though. Rey, Luke, Yoda and Kylo all knocked it out of the park in my opinion. I'm pretty shocked this has the lowest userscore on metacritic out of all the star wars movies.. i mean jeez... has anyone watched the phantom menace recently? It's even worse than I remembered. Jar Jar is in so many scenes and I can barely understand a word he says. The last jedi is flawed but it's miles above the prequels in my book.

No, The Phantom Menace is miles ahead of the Last Jedi in terms of interesting characters, a storyline, and overall speed and pacing during the movie.
The Phantom Menace had Samuel Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Liam Neeson who dies a hero's death at the end. It also had a kick ass villain in Darth Maul, and  a terrific pod race with a young Darth Vader.
The Last Jedi had Rose, and some chick with purple hair. Jar Jar and Rose are about the same in terms of being annoying which they most definitely are.

Really? I mean I liked it when I was a kid but... the movie is kind of a mess. It's not very clear what's going on for most of it and the only memorable scene was that kickass lightsaber fight near the end. I really liked that scene and darth maul but overall it just wasn't good. It only worked as a kids movie. The last jedi was flawed and i'm sure it disappointed a lot of people but come on... it's definitely better than the prequels... i mean jar jar is just the worst

Online pit23

• Adventurer
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
I really liked it :). It had some bad scenes... super leia... oh boy.. and of course that weird adventure Rose and Finn take. Rose was a bad addition.
Overall it had so many great moments though. Rey, Luke, Yoda and Kylo all knocked it out of the park in my opinion. I'm pretty shocked this has the lowest userscore on metacritic out of all the star wars movies.. i mean jeez... has anyone watched the phantom menace recently? It's even worse than I remembered. Jar Jar is in so many scenes and I can barely understand a word he says. The last jedi is flawed but it's miles above the prequels in my book.

No, The Phantom Menace is miles ahead of the Last Jedi in terms of interesting characters, a storyline, and overall speed and pacing during the movie.
The Phantom Menace had Samuel Jackson, Ewan McGregor, and Liam Neeson who dies a hero's death at the end. It also had a kick ass villain in Darth Maul, and  a terrific pod race with a young Darth Vader.
The Last Jedi had Rose, and some chick with purple hair. Jar Jar and Rose are about the same in terms of being annoying which they most definitely are.

Really? I mean I liked it when I was a kid but... the movie is kind of a mess. It's not very clear what's going on for most of it and the only memorable scene was that kickass lightsaber fight near the end. I really liked that scene and darth maul but overall it just wasn't good. It only worked as a kids movie. The last jedi was flawed and i'm sure it disappointed a lot of people but come on... it's definitely better than the prequels... i mean jar jar is just the worst

He doesn't like seeing girls in his space wars.

Online plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »

What a random and bizarre comment...you must be hitting the eggnog early this year!

Online pit23

• Adventurer
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »

What a random and bizarre comment...you must be hitting the eggnog early this year!

Makes as much sense as you saying Last Jedi is worse than Phantom Menace. Eggnog for both of us!

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »

There is probably something to that.

Star Wars was a boy thing.
Sure, your sister got the Leia action figure, and maybe R2D2, but it was OUR thing.
They know we’ll take our sons anyway, but the owners of the franchise want to sell merch to girls too!

Online rufus947

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »

Sure, your sister got the Leia action figure, and maybe R2D2, but it was OUR thing.
They know we’ll take our sons anyway, but the owners of the franchise want to sell merch to girls too!

Yea but I don't remember much debate about having strong female characters in the force awakens and rogue one. They were both well received.
I can definitely see why people are disappointed with the movie but i'm just surprised by how strongly people dislike it. I had a great time watching it and felt it had some really compelling moments. I was expecting more of a 7 out of 10 kind of reaction from fans whereas for me it's more like an 8. 5 on metacritic just seems way too low.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
He said they were drunken junkers, but what if they were Jedi who escaped order 66 and closed themselves off from the Force
i'd say the most plausible theory is that she's Obi-wan Kenobi's daughter or granddaughter. lot's of clues to this that have been mentioned online.
I was going with this too --  most just because seeing how she will now be the leader of the Resistance, we can all say "Obey Reh Kenobi!"  :laugh:

Puns aside, is anybody a bit confused about the Dark Force Cavern? I get that it showed her parents as being nothing and that all she has is herself etc etc, but how was that "dark"? Seems like a pretty important life lesson to me. More useful that Luke's "The Force is *inside* you!  :shocked:" drivel, at least.

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »
He said they were drunken junkers, but what if they were Jedi who escaped order 66 and closed themselves off from the Force
i'd say the most plausible theory is that she's Obi-wan Kenobi's daughter or granddaughter. lot's of clues to this that have been mentioned online.
I was going with this too --  most just because seeing how she will now be the leader of the Resistance, we can all say "Obey Reh Kenobi!"  :laugh:

Puns aside, is anybody a bit confused about the Dark Force Cavern? I get that it showed her parents as being nothing and that all she has is herself etc etc, but how was that "dark"? Seems like a pretty important life lesson to me. More useful that Luke's "The Force is *inside* you!  :shocked:" drivel, at least.

I believe it shows the darkness for the person. So for her, being abandoned by her parents was her biggest 'demon'.
Kinda like how Luke had to fight Darth Vader when he was training with Yoda. Maybe? lol

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2017, 02:26:24 PM »

I thought it might have had something to do with facing an uncomfortable truth, when, if you're not ready for it, can make a person fearful, insecure, shake their faith, etc. and lead them down a dark path.

Kind of like the devil telling you your parents never loved you?

That's my best guess, anyway.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »
I thought it might have had something to do with facing an uncomfortable truth, when, if you're not ready for it, can make a person fearful, insecure, shake their faith, etc. and lead them down a dark path.
Kind of like the devil telling you your parents never loved you?
That's my best guess, anyway.
Okay, yeah, I can see that, I guess.

Also, I realized that I could have phrased "More useful that Luke's "The Force is *inside* you! :shocked:" drivel, at least." in such a way to include an awful pun:
"More useful than Luke's "Reach out and touch faith!" drivel, at least."

Online pit23

• Adventurer
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2017, 04:08:22 PM »

There was a lot of talk after Force Awakens from internet super fans (that's the nicest thing I can think to call them) in regards to Rey being a "Mary Sue." They had a big problem with a female character being able to do everything that it took Luke, a male character, more time to figure out.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
Also, when Rey faced herself down in that darkside hole, was I the only one who immediately thought of the mirror gate from The Neverending Story?

The 80s were a good time.

Offline Holtzman

• Newgookin
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2018, 01:04:51 AM »
Also, when Rey faced herself down in that darkside hole, was I the only one who immediately thought of the mirror gate from The Neverending Story?

Oh I only wish I thought of that scene from The Neverending Story, Ching. I can totally see why, now that you mentioned it. Did you grow up in the 80's too?

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »

Oh I only wish I thought of that scene from The Neverending Story, Ching. I can totally see why, now that you mentioned it. Did you grow up in the 80's too?

No, but I admire it. Lots of good cheesy films from that era. xD

Offline gurudanny98

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2018, 05:03:11 PM »

No, but I admire it. Lots of good cheesy films from that era. xD

The best ones are