September 24, 2018, 05:57:40 PM

Author Topic: Doing a masters degree in Korea  (Read 4983 times)

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
Re: Doing a masters degree in Korea
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
Fair enough. My online masters was $3500 a semester, having 5 semesters a year because it was online. So not too expensive.

That's $17,500 a year....where do people get their money from to pay for these courses? You also have to live ontop of this so another 10k. where do students who don't work get 27,500 dollars from? A masters is necessary for what.....?
Yeah, I borrowed. I did mine in English language and literature because I want to be in teaching and academia for the rest of my life. It has helped me snag interviews whereas before I never got called and I already had an unrelated masters (that my former company paid for) and it wasn't helping me here except for a higher pay grade.
For the English masters, I did it online while I worked here. So I didn't have to stop working.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline internationalteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
@travelinpantsgirl   WHat kind of masters is it? ANd which university does it online? ANd what degree did you need to get on the course?

Offline meldrew

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 02:05:17 PM »
I'm doing my MA TESOL distance learning from a proper and brick and mortar university in the UK. I didn't borrow a penny. I worked full time and studied full time. It's not been easy, but it shouldn't be. It's a Master's degree. The financial aspects have me worried the most, if there was an emergency and I needed to get back home for whatever reason, I don't really have a safety net to do that. I haven't really gone without but I'd prefer to have a bit more in the account, just in case.

Luckily, I'm done in February.

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
A master's degree in TESOL is like ocean water. There's plenty plenty graduates with this MA TESOL thingy. But you need one because......?  I think universities laugh all the way to the bank with this particular degree. It must have worn itself out by now several times over. :laugh:

Offline meldrew

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 09:47:05 PM »
I do need one, yes. But, I am not going comment any further because clearly you are pushing your own agenda on this topic and I was silly enough to think, based on your last comment, that you were interested in pursuing a Master's.

I'll keep doing what I do, you keep doing what you do. There doesn't need to be douchebaggery involved.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 11:12:59 AM »
@travelinpantsgirl   WHat kind of masters is it? ANd which university does it online? ANd what degree did you need to get on the course?
International teacher, It's an MA in English Language and Literature from Southern New Hampshire University.
www.snhu.edu It's a legit brick and mortar school.

" And what degree did you need to get on the course?" What do you mean here? Admission requirements? If so, I can't remember, but I am sure it's easy to find on the site.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:34 AM »
So this is sorta related, but not totally, because I'm looking in to getting my Masters, just not in Korea. This might be a silly question, but the program says that it requires an IELTS test (waived if a native English speaker) and a Pearson Test of English. Does anyone know if this is also waived for native English speakers? Or is that like an SAT kind of test, to see your general ability?

Offline meldrew

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
The PTE is typically for non-native speakers looking to study abroad. I would highly doubt you'll need one if you're native speaker.

Offline raysmith

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »
One thing to research before starting a Masters degree in Korea is whether the degree is genuinely delivered in English. 

A friend of mine said when she applied for a Masters degree in Korea she was told that the lectures etc were delivered in English.  Upon commencement she discovered that some of the lectures were only delivered in Korean.  This is one of the issues that put me off doing a masters degree in Korea.

I think somehow she managed to get around this issue.  I can't remember how. 

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 01:20:16 PM »
The PTE is typically for non-native speakers looking to study abroad. I would highly doubt you'll need one if you're native speaker.
Ok, that was kind of what I had assumed, but since it didn't way waived, like the IELTS did, I wasn't sure.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
One thing to research before starting a Masters degree in Korea is whether the degree is genuinely delivered in English. 

A friend of mine said when she applied for a Masters degree in Korea she was told that the lectures etc were delivered in English.  Upon commencement she discovered that some of the lectures were only delivered in Korean.  This is one of the issues that put me off doing a masters degree in Korea.

I think somehow she managed to get around this issue.  I can't remember how.

Ha, ha, the only lectures likely to be delivered in English at Korean universities are those in the English faculty and even then...

Offline raysmith

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 02:01:18 PM »
I was verbally offered a Masters agree at a Korean University and told the exact opposite.  It wasn't in the English department.  I'm not saying you are wrong. Just that I was told something different by someone senior at the University.

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
Fair enough. My online masters was $3500 a semester, having 5 semesters a year because it was online. So not too expensive.
what.....?
It has helped me snag interviews whereas before I never got called and I already had an unrelated masters (that my former company paid for) and it wasn't helping me here except for a higher pay grade.
What do you mean? Do you mean you have a different kind of job now that you have a Masters? And does it pay well like over 3m a month?