February 21, 2018, 09:13:54 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 713935 times)

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7180 on: September 25, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
My gigging and band days are pretty much over, I'm content just to be a bedroom guitarist.
Looking back, an Axe FX might've been a smarter choice than a 50w HR Deluxe. Though I love the high headroom, especially since I'm a pedal whore, it's waaaaay too fragile and good God does the Fender support in Korea suck ass. My FX loop is busted and it occasionally switches channels, but I soldier on.

The AxeFx is definitely a nice piece of kit. It isn't cheap, but it's a damned site cheaper than buying all of the amps, cabs, and effects I use it to emulate would be.  :laugh:
My bass amp is an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 head into a MarkBass 2x10 cab, and apart from the mismatched brands gnawing at my OCD, I really can't complain about the tone I get out of it, haha. For shows where I use a house amp or FOH, I bring a tiny pedalboard that I can clip to my gig bag, and its mainstays are an Aguilar bass compressor, Creation Audio Labs Grizzly (OD/Dist + tone shaping), and an MXR Bass preamp/DI. There's room on the board for one more pedal, which is either an MXR bass envelope filter or an Aguilar Fuzzistor, depending on what the gig calls for.

I've got 2 guitars, a Fender USA HSS strat and my custom Suhr Standard, I've never justified owning more as they're really versatile and I only go for high-end guitars, I might get a cheap acoustic though. My pedalboard is quite large, but I mainly stick to a few favourite pedals, particular my Fulldrive 2, Cathedral Reverb and Keeley modded crybaby.

In the interest of not bogging down the ranting thread too much more than I already have, I'll just mention a few of my main pieces, haha.

My main gigging basses are a Fender USA Tony Franklin signature fretless Precision 4 string and an ACG fanned-fret 6 string. I used the former for the blues rock band I'm in, and the latter for the jazz band I was playing with for a while until that split up recently. I'm hoping the ACG 5 string custom I mentioned earlier will be able to take the place of both of them live, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

Guitar-wise, the most recent one I picked up was a Gibson SG Standard in ebony, which I got as a 3 Years Sober present and because I've wanted one since I was fifteen, haha. The other one I'm most likely to grab is my Ibanez Tosin Abasi 8 string (the Indonesian one, not the Japanese Sugi Custom Shop made one. I'm not made of money  :laugh:), because deep down I'll always be a metalhead, no matter how many blues rock bar gigs I play. I gotta have something tuned looooooow, and since my baritone Gibson Buckethead siggie Les Paul is currently in E standard, the Ibanez gets the nod. There's plenty more, but I've blabbered enough.  :blank:

I made sure to buy my gear before getting married, I can't get away with buying an Axe FX (when my amp eventually conks) or my final piece of dream gear (a Nord Electro 5d) any time soon.

That's what you get for getting married. I've found being completely unappealing to the opposite sex is a great way to save money for all the fancy gear I want.

I'm trying to get a routine together to finally master cliffs of dover and wonderful slippery thing, but the dedication just isn't there anymore. Let's see if I can set a goal to get my act together during Chuseok.

Honestly, it's being in a band that gets me practicing more than anything. I rarely pick up a guitar or bass just to fart around or work on my chops, but I regularly pick up a bass to run through my set lists to keep the rust off, or to learn new material when I'm tasked with learning it. That doesn't have me improving my skills in leaps and bounds or anything, but I'm moving right along and having a decent time while I'm at it. You should try finding some guys to jam with, even it it isn't going to go anywhere or isn't super challenging or your ideal genre. Just getting out there and playing is rewarding itself.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:31:26 PM by Mister Tim »

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #7181 on: September 25, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »
I've found being completely unappealing to the opposite sex is a great way to save money for all the fancy gear I want.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #7182 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:59 PM »

:cry:

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7183 on: September 26, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »
So, not lot ago, I met this Korean girl I started liking, was going to ask her out, but she told me she fell for this other guy she met (online - never has met him in person). Gave her some advice, and she progressed with that guy. She started to tell me, in graphic detail, about all her intimate details dealings with this guy.

I told her politely, that I don't want to interact with her anymore, and explained why (liked her, I didn't want to hear about this other guy, and she'd always change the topic to her situation with him); She wasn't happy about it, but accepted it. However, she started contacting me again about it >.<
She's not being bad enough to warrant getting blocked, but I don't exactly want to hear about that stuff either. :\
#foreveralone

Bruh, block her now.  She's a user who enjoys getting the attention from you without reciprocating in kind.  Gross.

I took your advice, she eventually got the phones of her parents and tried to call me; She got the other guy to try message me; After I declined, they proceeded to make new Facebook accounts and kept trying to message me on there too. >.< To combat this, I just shut my laptop, and jammed on the ps4 though, as it was getting annoying. :p
We had only known each other for like 1.5 - 2 weeks, so I don't understand why the stalker behaviour was needed. >.<
So glad she doesn't know where I live, it could have really gotten scarypoppins.

Also, I'm still a bit sick from yesterday, so I decided to not go on the school trip >.< Even though I don't like baseball, I was looking forward to the school trip. >.<
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:13:53 AM by Kayos »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7184 on: September 26, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Bruh, block her now.  She's a user who enjoys getting the attention from you without reciprocating in kind.  Gross.

I took your advice, she eventually got the phones of her parents and tried to call me; She got the other guy to try message me; After I declined, they proceeded to make new Facebook accounts and kept trying to message me on there too. >.< To combat this, I just shut my laptop, and jammed on the ps4 though, as it was getting annoying. :p
We had only known each other for like 1.5 - 2 weeks, so I don't understand why the stalker behaviour was needed. >.<
So glad she doesn't know where I live, it could have really gotten scarypoppins.

Sweet jeezus, glad you dropped that before she became an even bigger problem. That is one can of hella crazy! Thank goodness she doesn't know where you live.  I hope you find a nice sane gal instead!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:27:17 AM by yirj17 »

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7185 on: September 26, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »

Sweet jeezus, glad you dropped that before she became an even bigger problem. That is one can of hella crazy! Thank goodness she doesn't know where you live.  I hope you find a nice sane gal instead!

Yeah, in a lot of ways I'm glad I dodged that bullet. :D
And thanks!

Also, I've now been tasked to choose the G1 middle school textbook for next year.
The schools criteria for a good book is: lots of cartoon pictures, and not too many difficult words.

Offline sevenpm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7186 on: September 26, 2017, 12:06:49 PM »
So, not lot ago, I met this Korean girl I started liking, was going to ask her out, but she told me she fell for this other guy she met (online - never has met him in person). Gave her some advice, and she progressed with that guy. She started to tell me, in graphic detail, about all her intimate details dealings with this guy.

I told her politely, that I don't want to interact with her anymore, and explained why (liked her, I didn't want to hear about this other guy, and she'd always change the topic to her situation with him); She wasn't happy about it, but accepted it. However, she started contacting me again about it >.<
She's not being bad enough to warrant getting blocked, but I don't exactly want to hear about that stuff either. :\
#foreveralone

Also, I'm still a bit sick from yesterday, so I decided to not go on the school trip >.< Even though I don't like baseball, I was looking forward to the school trip. >.<

YIIIIKES.

I can't understand people who engage in stalker behavior. If someone doesn't want to talk to you, nothing is going to change by going full crazy on them. In fact it'll only make things worse.

Not to make this about Korea in general, because stalkers happen anywhere... but it sure does seem to happen a lot here.

I once had to threaten a guy with police action. We met only one time. During our first meeting he suggested we meet again for dinner sometime in the future and I said "okay" even though I didn't mean it. Afterwards, I told him on Kakao I wasn't interested in hanging out again and he started telling me I OWED him one dinner. I told him I don't owe him anything and stopped responding.

He then started to offer money to meet and eventually for other things. He literally begged, like "please let me ****************** I will pay you, you don't have to do anything I will do everything" and other weird things I won't type out here.

It was so gross and pathetic, and also really scary as I kept blocking him and he kept making new Kakao accounts. I'm SO glad he didn't know where I lived, and during our first meeting he seemed really interested in finding out where my room was. This went on for a couple of weeks. He'd text me from a new account like every other day. I deleted all my Kakao pictures, and stupid me I had given him my phone number to add me on Kakao so I had to block him there as well. Finally I told him I'd go to the police if he didn't stop and he hasn't texted me since.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7187 on: September 26, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
Is it just me or have the crazies been especially numerous and obnoxious lately?

It's not even October, yet.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7188 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
Waygook.org user...

#basedcowboyshirt,

Please stop.  Just stop.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7189 on: September 26, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
I can't understand people who engage in stalker behavior. If someone doesn't want to talk to you, nothing is going to change by going full crazy on them. In fact it'll only make things worse.

Not to make this about Korea in general, because stalkers happen anywhere... but it sure does seem to happen a lot here.

Honestly I think there has to be some kind of mental imbalance with a touch of narcissism.  The entitlement stalkers feel at "deserving/owning" their prey's attention.  Any sane person might feel a bit stung at rejection but move on instead of obsessing. 

There was a weirdo I met my first year in college.  I thought he was just being friendly; he started chatting to me on FB then asked where I lived.  I thought that was a little odd but figured I was just being paranoid, like maybe he was just making conversation, right?  So I vaguely said "off campus."  And returned the question in kind.  He was similarly vague but then kept pressing further.  He kept pushing for specifics after I told him the main street so that's when I got uncomfortable and ended up deleting him when he started getting weird.  Then the next day at work our boss casually confronted me with, "so I heard you deleted [creeper] off FB."  Ironically, I didn't want to come off sounding crazy so I didn't tell her why that was.  After I got to know her, she was definitely the type who would have had a word with him about inappropriate behavior and boundaries.  Didn't know it at the time though.  Thankfully he never bothered me again; I do think he was probably harmless but clueless about understanding boundaries and maybe even social norms. 

Then there was creepy-married-with-a-kid-Korean-stalker-dude when I first moved here.  I feel sorry for anyone who has to suffer his attention. 

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7190 on: September 27, 2017, 07:36:52 AM »
I have the worst computer at my main school. The mouse doesn't work half the time. The Internet cuts off if you touch the Ethernet in any way. Hard to keep my head into lesson planning with only a trackpad and shotty Internet.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7191 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
I can't seem to find a way to post a comment on Waygook from my cell phone. Is it possible? Am i missing something or can it only be done from a computer?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7192 on: September 27, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
I can't seem to find a way to post a comment on Waygook from my cell phone. Is it possible? Am i missing something or can it only be done from a computer?

You need to be in a Forum.

The button is just above the list of posts, on the right.

Offline sevenpm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7193 on: September 27, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
I used to like playing games with my students because it took up so much time, but these kids are such sore losers I don't enjoy it anymore.

If they lose, they become so demanding like it's their right to win. They scream for another round or to get a prize anyway. They whine like they're dying. My CT is nice enough to usually award the top 5 spots in a game, staggering the prizes (1st place gets 3 stickers - 5th place gets 1 sticker) and they still have the nerve to complain and demand more stickers.

I know they are just kids, but I hate to watch them getting away with this behavior. There will be another game next class and another after that. This is the only time in life they will ever be awarded for 5th place, but they are so ungrateful. They need to be taught to say thank you and try again next time. Again, I know they are children but I just don't like seeing this behavior unchecked. It's so entitled.

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7194 on: September 27, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »
I used to like playing games with my students because it took up so much time, but these kids are such sore losers I don't enjoy it anymore.

If they lose, they become so demanding like it's their right to win. They scream for another round or to get a prize anyway. They whine like they're dying. My CT is nice enough to usually award the top 5 spots in a game, staggering the prizes (1st place gets 3 stickers - 5th place gets 1 sticker) and they still have the nerve to complain and demand more stickers.

I know they are just kids, but I hate to watch them getting away with this behavior. There will be another game next class and another after that. This is the only time in life they will ever be awarded for 5th place, but they are so ungrateful. They need to be taught to say thank you and try again next time. Again, I know they are children but I just don't like seeing this behavior unchecked. It's so entitled.

They're training to become Korea's SJW generation.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7195 on: September 27, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. They're freakin' children.

Offline StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7196 on: September 27, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

Children being taught the same negative behaviours that led to America's 20-somethings becoming the disaster they are.

Offline sbk

• Adventurer
« Reply #7197 on: September 27, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »

You need to be in a Forum.

The button is just above the list of posts, on the right.

Thank you for that. Actually, i could only see that button after i logged out and back in again. So now i can comment from my phone. Problem fixed.  ;D

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7198 on: September 27, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »

Children being taught the same negative behaviours that led to America's 20-somethings becoming the disaster they are.

Pls take your agenda elsewhere. They're children. Stop trying to make some kind of statement.

Offline sevenpm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7199 on: September 27, 2017, 11:48:18 AM »

YAWN. So preoccupied with pushing an agenda you aren't even trying to make sense.

This has nothing to do with your SJW obsession. The notions of winning/losing gracefully and not being a sore loser were DRILLED into the heads of most American children. Losing gracefully just does not seem to be a thing here as all of my CTs have allowed students to show out after losing and when I bring up that maybe we should tell them to stop, they look at me like I'm freaking Agetha Trunchbull.

I'm all for not making children feel bad and letting them all get a chance to shine, but they need to learn some damn manners. Begging for stickers/candy is rude and ungrateful.