October 17, 2018, 09:18:49 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: NASA is analyzing Korean Air to find out "Why is it so polluted?"  (Read 30711 times)

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
Re: NASA is analyzing Korean Air to find out "Why is it so polluted?"
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
The Jeju field-burning festival ain't going to help matters.
http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/AKR/FU_EN_15.jsp?cid=1787708

Online TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2017, 11:29:15 PM »
The air is going to be great this whole week. Enjoy it before the china smog blows over again.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
The air is going to be great this whole week. Enjoy it before the china smog blows over again.

Colder weather days from Novemebr through March into April are the clearest days.  This winter and spring seem to have a lot of warm days compared to years past.  I think there's going to be a lot of afternoons with double digit temps meaning the unperfect mix of hot and cold.  So, it will trap in a lot of bad air that would blow over or blow away otherwise.  Lighter winds also allow the Chinese air to drift over here along with yellow dust.  Buckle up kids, the next month or so will be dimmed sunshine behind a hazy whitish cloud. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
Colder weather days from November through March into April are the clearest days.
No. I have no idea where you're getting this from.
Winter has by far the highest PM2.5 levels here in Korea. It's approximately triple the summer PM2.5 values. Early spring is also pretty horrible. This is true all throughout the peninsula.
 Source: I live in Korea and notice things. Also this (look at the summary table on page 4).

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
I second Kyndo. June through October is BY FAR the cleanest in terms of air quality. I've obsessively checked the pollution levels 5-6 mornings a week for well over half a decade. (Of course, I only pay close attention to Jeju and South Gyeongsang provinces, where I've lived.)

Sometime in November the winter hazy weather comes from mainland Asia as wind currents shift away from those that had been coming from the south (Pacific ocean).

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
June through October is BY FAR the cleanest in terms of air quality.
Poor people in Mongolia and China burn coal...and even anything that can burn- tires, plastic, etc.- for heat during the winter months. A significant amount those toxins make their way to Korea. Hell, some even reach the United States.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2017, 10:38:12 PM »
Colder weather days from November through March into April are the clearest days.
Winter has by far the highest PM2.5 levels here in Korea. It's approximately triple the summer PM2.5 values. Early spring is also pretty horrible. This is true all throughout the peninsula.
 Source: I live in Korea and notice things. Also this (look at the summary table on page 4).

I'm talking about warmer days in winter.  When the temps get more frigid, clear blue skies.  When the temps go up to 10 degrees or so, whitish hazy skies.  Northerly winds blow that crap away from us.  Been here a decade.  Never fails.  Was colder the past couple of days, clear skies.  Early spring is bad as it's a transition season where there's a lot of cold and warm air mixed.  Take a look out your window sometimes.  Can you see the mountains or is their view obscured?  Can you see the sun brightly or is it shining dimly through hazy whitish polluted skies on a warmer day in winter or early spring?  PM2.5 measures were down today too. 

Offline macteacher

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2017, 07:19:02 AM »

this is from nearly 20 years ago. i wonder how much it has changed

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2017, 08:07:04 AM »
I'm talking about warmer days in winter. 
Oh, right, I agree then. My bad!  :smiley:

This is from nearly 20 years ago. i wonder how much it has changed
Oops. Somebody actually read a link! Guess I got to be more careful about the crap I link!  :laugh:
Anyway, I will try to find something a little (a lot) more recent when I have time, and will update when I do!

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
http://aqicn.org/map/southkorea/#@g/35.3636/127.7545/7z

Today, a bit cooler. 

https://www.google.co.kr/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=qlm_WJauI9WT9QWp-6qADw&gws_rd=ssl#q=daejeon+weather&*

After today, temps will go into the double digits.  Measure that air quality again when it happens.  Change in wind direction, hot and cold air crreating fog and trapping the pollution in even more.  Also, view China; it's as bad as ever.  Maybe the next six weeks, the air will be bad most days.  It always seems the end of April, we get clear blue skies and the weather is nice through early May for a time.  (Very briefly.)

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2017, 09:21:18 AM »
In my opinion, a day like today and yesterday, you can see Korea's real local air quality.  Ideal air is in the green range, especially outside of Seoul.  But, it's in the yellow range (which is sort of ok, I guess).  That's the effect of local Korean pollution.  But, then the crap from China blows over along with the warmer weather trapping it in and changing the wind directions, etc and we end up seeing the readings in the orange and often even the red range on that link above. 

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2017, 02:27:28 PM »
In my opinion, a day like today and yesterday, you can see Korea's real local air quality.  Ideal air is in the green range, especially outside of Seoul.  But, it's in the yellow range (which is sort of ok, I guess).  That's the effect of local Korean pollution.  But, then the crap from China blows over along with the warmer weather trapping it in and changing the wind directions, etc and we end up seeing the readings in the orange and often even the red range on that link above.
That seems a fair analysis, but I'm no NASA scientist.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
Interesting read:

Smog in the American West: Study shows Asia largely to blame

Collectively, China, North Korea and South Korea, Japan, India and other south Asian countries have tripled their emissions of nitrogen oxide, a precursor to the formation of ozone. Ground-level ozone is harmful to human health, worsening asthma attacks and leading to difficulty in breathing.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=43381911

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2017, 04:17:41 AM »
When the temps get more frigid, clear blue skies.  When the temps go up to 10 degrees or so, whitish hazy skies.

It looks like you're right about temperature having an impact.

A study published in the US journal Science Advances suggests that melting Arctic sea ice and increasing Eurasian snow, both caused by global climate change, have shifted China's winter monsoon, helping create stagnant atmospheric conditions that trap pollution over the country's major population and industrial centers.

"Emissions in China have been decreasing over the last four years, but the severe winter haze is not getting better," said Yuhang Wang, a professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology, who led the study.

"Mostly, that's because of a very rapid change in the high polar regions where sea ice is decreasing and snowfall is increasing. This perturbation keeps cold air from getting into the eastern parts of China where it would flush out the air pollution."

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
Smog becomes a political issue in South Korean election

SEOUL — A rare springtime election will send South Koreans to the polls early next month, but here in smog-bound Seoul they may be gasping all the way.

Spring is notorious for its poor air quality here. The combination of smog and the yellow dust that descends from Mongolia’s Gobi Desert every spring has produced pollution so thick that on the worst days — and there have been many of them — Seoul has looked like a city shrouded in a toxic gray blanket.

This has made air pollution a topical issue in the snap presidential election, to be held May 9.

“I will do everything in my power to make South Korea an environmentally clean country,” Moon Jae-in, the Democratic Party candidate and clear front-runner for the presidency, said this month. “People are angry over the government’s lack of action to tackle the almost-unbreathable air.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/smog-becomes-a-political-issue-in-south-korean-election/2017/04/27/afd55dba-1a2d-11e7-8598-9a99da559f9e_story.html

About 40 percent of South Korea’s electricity comes from more than 50 coal-fired power plants, and the country has plans to build 20 new plants by 2021 despite being a signatory to the Paris climate change deal.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2017, 07:49:20 AM »
...and there are calls to phase out Nuclear power.

Most Koreans I talk to don't realize where their electricity comes from.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
South Korea should try to be more like California, which is big on neither nuclear nor coal.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »
Natural gas is great for air quality, but bad for CO output.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2017, 12:53:43 PM »
But still burning natural gas makes less CO2 than burning coal. (I just looked it up.) So...better than coal...but not as good as wind or water...