June 23, 2018, 04:30:44 PM

Author Topic: Elderly Man Arrested for Stealing Flowers for Mother  (Read 594 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Super Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Elderly Man Arrested for Stealing Flowers for Mother
« on: May 15, 2018, 03:32:01 PM »
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180515000788

A man in his 70s has been arrested for stealing flowers from another person’s garden to give to his mother.

Ilsan Dongbu Police Station in Gyeonggi Province said Tuesday the owner of a garden in Ilsandong-gu, Gyeonggi Province, filed a report after flowers had been taken away from April 14 to 25 over three different occasions.

At first, three tulips were stolen, then one rose and two more tulips, respectively.

Uto Image

Police analyzed CCTV footage to identify the suspect, who reportedly took the flowers because he did not have enough money to buy them.

The suspect, living with his wife and mother, is a recipient of the basic livelihood security program.

Although he is suffering from cataracts, he reportedly cannot receive proper medication due to a lack of funds. He also seems to have mild dementia, according to police.

While booking the man without detention, police presented his family with carnations, rice and ramen noodles after learning of his situation.

One police officer said, “We gave him a small present so he doesn’t give up on his life.”

By Ahn Sang-yool (koolsangon@heraldcorp.com)

There are so many sad things about this story.

He literally took fewer than three flowers each time. It's not like he was wantonly grabbing and destroying.

He's in his 70s so his mother must be close to or in her 90s.

He can't afford medical costs for his cataracts. Like, literally to help him see.

The police gave them ramen, rice, and some flowers so he "doesn't give up on his life."

Everything about this story makes me sad.

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: Elderly Man Arrested for Stealing Flowers for Mother
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
The cops get a big thumbs up for the gifts, though.

You can do your job and not be an ass.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:28:27 AM »
This story kicked me in my feels  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 07:51:21 AM »
The response by the police was very well done. This is such a sad story though, and definitely highlights issues with the elderly being impoverished.  :sad:
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »
Reading stories like this always breaks my heart. And I hate seeing elderly folk pushing those cardboard carts around, especially the ones with bodies so worn out that they have a hard time standing up straight.

They really do need to step up their game for the welfare programs. This includes actually reaching out to the elderly so that the elderly know what their options are. I think I remember reading a while back that some very simple programs failed because none of the elderly pursued them -- mainly because they didn't know about them, but, even if they had, almost none of them received any help on how they were supposed to go about applying for them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:14:23 PM by Chinguetti »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »
Counterpoint: the world is not a nice place and there are limited resources. Resoyrces and capital are best spent on areas that maximize potential and middleclass income opportunities that enable people to avoid the safety net.

Ues there should be social security, but the worst thing you can do in a cutthroat world is jeopordize profitable sectors for subsistence ones.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:53:33 AM »
Counterpoint: the world is not a nice place and there are limited resources. Resoyrces and capital are best spent on areas that maximize potential and middleclass income opportunities that enable people to avoid the safety net.

Ues there should be social security, but the worst thing you can do in a cutthroat world is jeopordize profitable sectors for subsistence ones.
I generally agree with this side of the argument, but most elderly (and middle-aged) in Korea DID DO what they were expected to do. They did work hard, put in the long hours, and make personal sacrifice for the greater good.

Many are now saying, "For what?!"

Society has not kept up its part of the bargain.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
I generally agree with this side of the argument, but most elderly (and middle-aged) in Korea DID DO what they were expected to do. They did work hard, put in the long hours, and make personal sacrifice for the greater good.

Exactly. These are, in many cases, literally the people who built Korea up from basically nothing.

And then the development accelerated past them, and left them picking up garbage all day for less than someone working for minimum wage makes in an hour.

It's shameful.

All of this. A society can and rightly should be judged by how it treats both its elderly and its children. There's no point in a society that can't even support the people that helped build it, and it's a disturbing shame when people can't see the value in it.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:16:38 PM »

Exactly. These are, in many cases, literally the people who built Korea up from basically nothing.

And then the development accelerated past them, and left them picking up garbage all day for less than someone working for minimum wage makes in an hour.

It's shameful.

All of this. A society can and rightly should be judged by how it treats both its elderly and its children. There's no point in a society that can't even support the people that helped build it, and it's a disturbing shame when people can't see the value in it.

I do get this point.

At the same time, something better and more sustainable than just taxing companies and flinging money at people needs to be considered.

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »

I have never met a middle class person avoid the safety net of Social Security Retirement BECAUSE it is a benefit of a lifetime of work, not a free handout. http://www.cbpp.org/research/social-security/policy-basics-top-ten-facts-about-social-security

Offline ESLTurtle

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
Rice and ramen?? You gotta be kidding me.  :rolleyes:

Should've at least given them some 도시락 packages you can find in your local 편의점!  :shocked:

With the 2 + 1 sh*t going on these days, only a mad man would reject such an offer.   8)

Online gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
Kudos to the old dude for wanting to brighten up what must be his mother's waning days and to the police for showing some respect and understanding, although pretty much expected in Korea's culture regarding the elderly.

Hopefully, some social welfare groups in his gu will reach out and try to give him some assistance. Cataracts are not that expensive to remove in Korea but with dementia the guy probably can't get much done on his own.

Good luck to him!

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018