August 16, 2018, 02:13:57 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: South Korean man kills neighbour's dog and invites owner to eat it  (Read 1888 times)

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
Re: South Korean man kills neighbour's dog and invites owner to eat it
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:55:05 AM »
I'll bet anyone any amount of money the farmer serves no jail time and a fine not greater than w100k.

Looking forward to DeMartino's defence case. Should be a good one.  :wink:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 09:39:07 AM »
TIK

Only a property crime. "Your honor, the dog looked too delicious. It was asking for it."

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
Corgis are cool dogs too..and some of the friendliest dogs one can have. Just goes to show how primitive some Koreans can be..absolute cavemen at best

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:46:42 AM »
I think it might get treated as a theft of property? They don't really have laws against animal cruelty that can be used in cases of abuse against people's pets.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
I think it might get treated as a theft of property? They don't really have laws against animal cruelty that can be used in cases of abuse against people's pets.

"Under a newly strengthened law animal abusers face up to two years in prison or 20m won in fines."
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »

"Under a newly strengthened law animal abusers face up to two years in prison or 20m won in fines."

Korea times herald  reported as just property crime. Maybe it'll get updated.
http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20180411000552
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:56:09 AM by thunderlips »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

Thanks, I missed that.

@ thunderlips: Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been reading around. The Guardian is the only article that I've found that even references Korea's animal welfare law, but the language is incredibly vague, and I'm kind of skeptical about how it can and will be applied in a case like this. It sounds like they may be charging the guy with a property crime because it has lesser penalties than an animal abuse crime, and that the owner/animal rights activists are trying to push for a harsher charge with a harsher penalty, but it's also possible that it's difficult to charge a person with animal abuse in Korea if it's not somehow related to livestock conditions or puppy mills.

I think there is a similar case last year where a woman's pet sheepdog was eaten by some local old men, and I think they only got charged with a property crime, too, and only had to pay a fine plus whatever the dog was worth to the owner.

In the end I don't really know how flexible the prosecutors can be when charging offenders with crimes according to the current welfare law.

http://careanimalrights.org/2017/03/improvements-to-korean-animal-protection-laws/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:01:42 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 01:03:31 PM »
I'm glad that the dad turned the neighbor down and didn't actually eat his pet. I came into this article expecting to see that he ate his dog.

Thanks, I missed that.

@ thunderlips: Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been reading around. The Guardian is the only article that I've found that even references Korea's animal welfare law, but the language is incredibly vague, and I'm kind of skeptical about how it can and will be applied in a case like this. It sounds like they may be charging the guy with a property crime because it has lesser penalties than an animal abuse crime, and that the owner/animal rights activists are trying to push for a harsher charge with a harsher penalty, but it's also possible that it's difficult to charge a person with animal abuse in Korea if it's not somehow related to livestock conditions or puppy mills. I don't know, could just be up to the judge, too.

I think there is a similar case last year where a woman's pet sheepdog was eaten by some local old men, and I think they only got charged with a property crime, too, and only had to pay a fine plus whatever the dog was worth to the owner.

http://careanimalrights.org/2017/03/improvements-to-korean-animal-protection-laws/
Wait, what the owner thought the dog was worth? God forbid it ever happened to me, but if it did, could I jack the price up? "He was worth 5 million to me!"

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 01:12:56 PM »
Wait, what the owner thought the dog was worth? God forbid it ever happened to me, but if it did, could I jack the price up? "He was worth 5 million to me!"

Like, according to "real" market value, so I think something along the ballpark of $300-$1000. It was purebred, but elderly, too, not sure if that makes a bit a difference.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »

Like, according to "real" market value, so I think something along the ballpark of $300-$1000. It was purebred, but elderly, too, not sure if that makes a bit a difference.
Oh, so we're kelly blue-booking it. That's really sad.

Offline gideonvasquez

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »

Oh, so we're kelly blue-booking it. That's really sad.
They might use fair value for it and say this dog was an XX breed age XX. That sells for $300. They might also use the replacement value. So they say the price for a puppy then add any training costs or time investment. This is just based on what some US states do sometimes. Some US states also include additional penalties if the crime is premeditated or malicious in nature.

Again, I don't know Korea's specific statutes for valuation of animals. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount awarded was increased based on the fact the old man didn't accidentally kill the dog. Just like if someone keyed a car instead of accidentally backing into one in a parking lot.

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
Most likely they will pay 12,000won per kilogram, which is the market price. Course that doesn't include fur.

Online kengreen

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 05:13:37 PM »
Have any of you eaten dog soup? Just wondering.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »
Have any of you eaten dog soup? Just wondering.

I have at school. It's fine.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 02:11:31 AM »
I'll bet anyone any amount of money the farmer serves no jail time and a fine not greater than w100k.

Looking forward to DeMartino's defence case. Should be a good one.  :wink:

"In America it's completely normal to eat your neighbor's pet pig, happens all the time. How much pork and beef did you eat yesterday? What about the Holocaust? And chicken genocide? Why do you hate Korea? What about Hillary's emails? Total witch hunt!"

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
I think there's more to this case than just dog eating or whatever. This sounds like what originally was bad blood between the neighbors combined with the neighbor not standing the barking and the killing and eating more an attempt to inflict pain and suffering on the neighbor than any simple "dog looks tasty". We're talking Titus Andronicus here. This is a premeditated incident by someone who truly loathed the dog and neighbor. This is someone who cleaned and gutted the thing in his own house. He probably had to go out and buy boning knives and a serious cutting board. Unless he was a butcher, you don't just have this stuff lying around, it's not for everyone, and it's not something you can jist spend 20 bucks on.

If I was the prosecutor I'd look real hard at what steps he took. It makes me question the rock story. This seems less like an outburst and more like a deep revenge plot. If he just hated the dog in anger he would have bludgeoned it repeatedly or just stabbed/mutilated it and tossed it onto their yard. The butchering, cooking, and serving shows a desire to have power and mastery over the neighbor and wanting to inflict methodical psychological pain.

Also, some of you are way too obsessed with me.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 12:50:36 PM »
I think there's more to this case than just dog eating or whatever. This sounds like what originally was bad blood between the neighbors combined with the neighbor not standing the barking and the killing and eating more an attempt to inflict pain and suffering on the neighbor than any simple "dog looks tasty". We're talking Titus Andronicus here. This is a premeditated incident by someone who truly loathed the dog and neighbor. This is someone who cleaned and gutted the thing in his own house. He probably had to go out and buy boning knives and a serious cutting board. Unless he was a butcher, you don't just have this stuff lying around, it's not for everyone, and it's not something you can jist spend 20 bucks on.

If I was the prosecutor I'd look real hard at what steps he took. It makes me question the rock story. This seems less like an outburst and more like a deep revenge plot. If he just hated the dog in anger he would have bludgeoned it repeatedly or just stabbed/mutilated it and tossed it onto their yard. The butchering, cooking, and serving shows a desire to have power and mastery over the neighbor and wanting to inflict methodical psychological pain.

Also, some of you are way too obsessed with me.

The master at work. Hit us with the old switcharoo when we least expected it. Outstanding.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
We're talking Titus Andronicus here.

I believe there's a (grimm's?) fairy tale wherein a stepmother gets angry at her husband (a king) for whatever reason so she cooks up his children and serves him the resulting stew, he being ignorant of the contents until later.

That's what came to my mind.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »
We're talking Titus Andronicus here.

I believe there's a (grimm's?) fairy tale wherein a stepmother gets angry at her husband (a king) for whatever reason so she cooks up his children and serves him the resulting stew, he being ignorant of the contents until later.

That's what came to my mind.
Arya did the same with the Late Walter Frey and his sons.
Revenge is best served cold... unless its served as a nice pot pie.  :smiley: