June 20, 2018, 12:21:33 AM

Author Topic: Koreas Plastic Surgery Boom: The Cost of Beauty (documentary)  (Read 2050 times)

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook

More than 4,000 clinics provide cosmetic surgery in Seoul, with an estimated 650,000 people a year going under the knife. But the surgeries performed by some of the clinics do not always live up to patients' expectations and the quest for beauty and profits is putting lives at risk.

I love what the old guy says at the end:

“Our outer appearances don’t wholly define our lives. If people were to neglect the growth of their abilities and other important factors because they solely focus on their appearance, they would be nothing more than good-looking people”.

Quote of the century.
Catch my drift?

Offline JVPrice

• Veteran
Re: Koreas Plastic Surgery Boom: The Cost of Beauty (documentary)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:43:14 AM »
That quote is 100% true. It's a large part of the reason why so many relationships/marriages fail and why so many people are unhappy. Trying to tape up a broken vase won't help in the long run. Korea won't be able to grow any further until it stops putting such a huge priority on its appearances (heaven knows that'll probably never happen).
The World Ends With You

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:29:56 AM »
That quote is 100% true. It's a large part of the reason why so many relationships/marriages fail and why so many people are unhappy. Trying to tape up a broken vase won't help in the long run. Korea won't be able to grow any further until it stops putting such a huge priority on its appearances (heaven knows that'll probably never happen).

Ugh. Drives me nuts, have a picture of a doctor, or ANYONE in my ppts.

:azn: "Teacher, he is ugly."

Who gives a shit? It's just some random 45 year old white guy. Does it matter that your doctor is handsome? Or do you want your spine fixed? I know where I fall on that question.

Or the classic *shows picture of a white person*

:azn: Teacher, is you!

Every time this happens I pull up a picture of PSY or Yu Jaeseok and say "That's you."

:azn: No, teacher, that's not me.

SELF AWARENESS ZERO

Offline JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »

Ugh. Drives me nuts, have a picture of a doctor, or ANYONE in my ppts.

:azn: "Teacher, he is ugly."

Who gives a shit? It's just some random 45 year old white guy. Does it matter that your doctor is handsome? Or do you want your spine fixed? I know where I fall on that question.

Every time this happens I pull up a picture of PSY or Yu Jaeseok and say "That's you."

SELF AWARENESS ZERO

Lmao

I've already been compared to Obama, Kevin Hart and even Doomfist (Overwatch). Bet you they'd have your students' reaction if I showed them Korean celebs though  :laugh:
The World Ends With You

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »
Lmao

I've already been compared to Obama, Kevin Hart and even Doomfist (Overwatch). Bet you they'd have your students' reaction if I showed them Korean celebs though  :laugh:

Boys who say it get this pic

Girls who say it get this pic.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 09:29:58 AM »
Can either of those people actually see at the same time as smiling?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 09:40:47 AM »

Are you implying that they are two different people? haha

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:51:48 AM »

Are you implying that they are two different people? haha

I thought the second one was the woman from the 4 fat people stuff their faces show.   ;D

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :shocked: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :shocked: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:44:53 AM by AvecPommesFrites »
waygook.org user #nugunugu... OMG avec's picked up a steelchair! God almighty it's a steelchair to the skull. Good god. BANG. ANOTHER shot to the Cranium!

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
"Ah really, it is delicious."

Anyway Koreans still think your character is related to your looks. Westerners do this subconsciously but it's rarely done out in the open like it was up until around the 1950's. So of course Koreans are going to get plastic surgery, it makes you a better person!

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »
It's just some random 45 year old white guy. Does it matter that your doctor is handsome?

The larger hospitals seem to only employ young doctors under 35.

Sorry but when it comes to doctors, older is definitely better. I want someone with years of experience who actually knows what they're doing!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 04:40:01 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
It's just some random 45 year old white guy. Does it matter that your doctor is handsome?

Sorry but when it comes to doctors, older is definitely better. I want someone with years of experience who actually knows what they're doing!

Korea and China might be the exception to this one.

Older doctors are usually the ones who learned from textbooks from the 70s, and haven't kept up with advances since. They're also the ones who tell other Koreans not to eat 'foreign' food when travelling abroad and to avoid drinking cold water.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 07:36:30 PM »
Judging on looks.  You should have seen it 10 years ago.  It was even worse. 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
I wish the translation were just goofy cause did that bystander really say, "It's natural and harmless"? :undecided:  Methinks he knows not what that word means. 

Also, no age regulation?  Up to the "morals" of the individual clinics? :huh: And most anesthesia isn't even done by actual anesthesiologists??  :huh: :huh:  It is honestly disturbing how many seem to be under the impression that these surgeries are completely safe and risk free.  You are literally going under and getting sliced open and maybe even getting bone sliced off. 

It's things like this that make me really appreciate further that I grew up elsewhere and not someplace like Seoul.  I went through that general phase a lot of people go through as kids where you kinda hate how you look for a while but grew out of caring much about it.  But I can get a job here and a lot of places simply thanks to where I was born without much regard to my appearance, so it's not like there's any pressure on me to improve my looks as long as I don't exhibit slovenly behavior.

Back in uni I remember meeting some Korean lasses from Seoul who I thought were pretty gorgeous (even by Seoul's standards) but they told me they still wanted to get some procedures done.  Honestly made me sad.  I hope girl never ended up going through with it. 

That psych professor is right on the mark.  But who amongst the masses will listen?  :undecided: 

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 07:46:50 PM »

SELF AWARENESS ZERO

Lmao

Back home I was often asked if I was related to Jackie Chan or the other random Asian kid in school.  SIGH.  On patient days I would explain that I was not [insert heritage here] and that my parents were from elsewhere. 

Decent fools:  Oh my bad. 

Utter fools:  Are you sure?? 

I mean... yeah.  Pretty sure that that person's not in my family.  Unless you mean that real general sense wherein all humans are distantly related?   :undecided:

Here I get the luxury of blending in, for the most part.  Much more suitable for an introvert. 

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »

Korea and China might be the exception to this one.

Older doctors are usually the ones who learned from textbooks from the 70s, and haven't kept up with advances since. They're also the ones who tell other Koreans not to eat 'foreign' food when travelling abroad and to avoid drinking cold water.

In my small city, one of the local orthopedic doctors (my father-in-law's school friend) in his late 50s has a bad drinking problem so he doesn't recognise me when I go in (I stopped going after the second time).  He thinks all bone problems are related to people using their smart phones and seems stumped when I say I don't have one.  He also displays in a frame a certificate for attending a convention, not an actual qualification, just attendance certificate.  But that doesn't beat another doctor in my city who has some of his certificates displayed in the waiting room.  While I was waiting, I looked at them, I turned to my wife and said 'Are those some of his bowling MVP certificates in with the actual certifcates?' 'Yes, they are'.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
^
reminds me of this karl pilkington bit where he says his doctor told him his nerves are too short for his body

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 10:39:52 AM »
Average poster: "Appearances don't matter. Why does everyone care so much? They're just superficial."

Spends 1 second looking at someone's Tinder pic before swiping left or right.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »
Average poster: "Appearances don't matter. Why does everyone care so much? They're just superficial."

You know there's a difference between choosing someone for a job or a doctor's appointment and choosing someone you want to have sex with. 

Offline JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

For the majority of people, appearances do matter to some extent. It's just not on the same level as the way Koreans care about it.
The World Ends With You

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/