June 21, 2018, 12:50:00 PM

Author Topic: Newsweek interviews passenger from twerking subway incident  (Read 2072 times)

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
Newsweek interviews passenger from twerking subway incident
« on: April 05, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
New details are emerging in the international media..

Video shows three American women harassing, assaulting South Korean subway passengers
Newsweek, 4/4/18 AT 4:29 PM

A South Korean man who said he was the victim of the women's harassment reported the video to police, which he claimed was recorded by a fellow passenger in Anyang

“I reported it to the police and stopped the foreigners from running away, and I was beaten with fists,” read the translation of the alleged male victim’s statement to YTN News.

“I’ll give you something to look at,” the woman said during the dance move.
http://www.newsweek.com/south-korea-americans-subway-viral-video-harassment-assault-gangnam-anyang-872491

*By the way, mods. If someone makes an offensive post, its better to zap the offenders post only (not remove the whole thread!).
When you continually remove the most interesting threads wholesale from the forum, you are killing people's interest in coming to waygook.org.  There are things people want to discuss. Your job is not to kill interesting discussion, but to moderate it.
Catch my drift?

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
Re: Newsweek interviews passenger from twerking subway incident
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
noo the whole thread got removed?  there were countless political threads where people were just name calling and shit talking each other and those got to pollute the front page .... :blank: what the crap mods? 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »
It's like cancelling a movie screening because there's an asshole couple talking and kicking the seats. You eject the offenders, you don't cancel the screening.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
Not excusing their behavior but kind of disappointing that a US news site is just regurgitating the Korean news sites without doing a little more digging. Newsweek ignores the claims the man grabbed one of the women and that video recording people is illegal.

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 06:35:29 PM »
Not excusing their behavior but kind of disappointing that a US news site is just regurgitating the Korean news sites

Same as the South China Morning Post:

Three Americans, including a 32-year-old teacher, went on a rampage on a subway train, Friday, attacking and harassing passengers.

The three are now under police investigation. 

According to police, a woman hit a Korean man and abused him on the train.
http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/2140199/americans-caught-video-making-racist-gestures-south-korean#add-comment

If you read the comments on there, which could not be more adrift from reality,... its clear how easily people are influenced by one-sided reporting.
Catch my drift?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 06:50:41 PM »
Is it confirmed that the women did NOTHING until the guy started recording or is that just one interpretation of events?

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 07:25:57 PM »
Is it confirmed that the women did NOTHING until the guy started recording or is that just one interpretation of events?

We don't know what occurred before the guy started filming. You're making an unwarranted inference that the women "did something". Just stick to the facts.

Quote from: Thunderlips
Newsweek ignores the claims the man grabbed one of the women and that video recording people is illegal.

It is amazing how people do not even question the media nowadays. It does not seem to even register to most people that they have only been told one side of the story. Nobody has even tried to present the womens viewpoint.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:30:07 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Offline CDW

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43:04 PM »
The Raw Story also has an article about the incident.

"WATCH: South Korean bystanders horrified as Americans go on racist rampage on their subway"
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/watch-south-korean-bystanders-horrified-americans-go-racist-rampage-subway/

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 09:43:19 PM »
^ A quick glance at the comments section of that article is enough to vomit over.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »

We don't know what occurred before the guy started filming. You're making an unwarranted inference that the women "did something". Just stick to the facts.

Newsweek ignores the claims the man grabbed one of the women and that video recording people is illegal.

It is amazing how people do not even question the media nowadays. It does not seem to even register to most people that they have only been told one side of the story. Nobody has even tried to present the womens viewpoint.

Right, but according to witnesses, this behavior was going on BEFORE the guy started filming. You're making an unwarranted inference that this just started with some old Korean guy being racist and randomly filming them.

As I said, I don't think it's illegal to record people who are engaged in illegal or inappropriate conduct in public. Also, for things like public performance (and one could say that the moment they started twerking they were engaged in performance), I think there is implied consent to be publicly filmed, lest everyone in Hongdae is committing a crime while filming someone who is busking.

Lastly, as I understand, they harassed other passengers, not just the man. If indeed, this was just about the man, then they had no business harassing other passengers. I believe to blame an entire group of people for the actions of one person is called racism.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:18:00 AM »
There is a huge distinction between "illegal" and "inappropriate". Especially as the second is largely subjective. There are plently of people who think PDAs are entirely inappropriate. If i went up to a couple making out and started filming them and expect to get my teeth knocked down my throat.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »

Right, but according to witnesses, this behavior was going on BEFORE the guy started filming. You're making an unwarranted inference that this just started with some old Korean guy being racist and randomly filming them.

As I said, I don't think it's illegal to record people who are engaged in illegal or inappropriate conduct in public. Also, for things like public performance (and one could say that the moment they started twerking they were engaged in performance), I think there is implied consent to be publicly filmed, lest everyone in Hongdae is committing a crime while filming someone who is busking.

Lastly, as I understand, they harassed other passengers, not just the man. If indeed, this was just about the man, then they had no business harassing other passengers. I believe to blame an entire group of people for the actions of one person is called racism.

this is one of the things i was talking about in the other thread.  why did he start recording?  if we knew what was happening before the filming started then we would all have a better idea of the situation.   even after the situation seems spotty with different reports of what happened. 

i keep seeing that it's illegal to film people in korea on here.  does anyone have the actual law where it says that?  i'm trying to find it now.  i don't think the law applies to this.  wasn't it awhile ago they wanted to stop the pervs from filming girls in bikinis and upskirts? 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:36:41 AM by tanis62458 »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »
There is a huge distinction between "illegal" and "inappropriate". Especially as the second is largely subjective. There are plently of people who think PDAs are entirely inappropriate. If i went up to a couple making out and started filming them and expect to get my teeth knocked down my throat.

Yes, but if they do it in a very public place or say, right in front of a War Memorial or whatever, I think there's a forfeiture of that right.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 12:24:44 PM »

Yes, but if they do it in a very public place or say, right in front of a War Memorial or whatever, I think there's a forfeiture of that right.
I don't know if I agree with that. It's just opening it up to personal  interpretation.

Also from what I've seen of Korean legal issues, the law is enacted in very black and white terms. The Korean legal system doesn't observe precedence or extenuating circumstances. Which means a)the girls fucked up the second they laid a hand on the guy detaining them. Regardless of weather he should have done so or not. b)if filming someone in public is illegal, that law is not going to be waived simply because someone believes the ladies are being inappropriate.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »

Except you can't do that to a Korean here. How would you respond to that situation if a Korean dude (normal build) started filming you, then just quit filming when you told him to quit but wouldn't delete the vid? Then he just stands there and you are not allowed to touch him, and his phone is put away with the vid of you making out with that person safely recorded on it. How would you handle that? Just curious.

Edit: Doesn't have to be making out necessarily, it could be any moment (private or not) you didn't want filmed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:22:57 PM by AlivePoet »

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
I would call the police probably. I dont know. Pretend to be his friend and ask to exchange numbers and when he takes his phone out, I'd swat it onto the ground. But then I'd be fucked if the cops caught up with me.

I was just trying to illustrate to Martin that if videoing someone anytime we thought something they were doing was inappropriate, was seen as acceptable, there would be a whole lot of confrontations going on.

This could all be moot anyway because no one knows for sure if taking a video in a public place is actually illegal. I know guys were getging pinged for taking covert bikini shots at becaches. Would it fall under that?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 01:55:10 PM »
I remember reading an article a while back that said it wasn't illegal unless it's voyeuristic of a private (i.e. sexual) nature and as long as it's not posted anywhere that could result in damaging a person's business or reputation, but I don't know for sure.

I'll try to find that same article.

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 02:44:28 PM »
i can't find the law.  i saw some stuff about taking pictures though.  but like chinguetti said, it's to stop the preverts.  filming in public spaces probably isn't illegal or else everyone would be going to jail.  private property, residences, business, probably fall under a different category.  context matters of course.  it reminds me of those videos of people saying you can't film me without my permission but they were on public property and could be filmed.  i don't think demartino is wrong to say the filming might not be illegal.  keep in mind context matters.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »
I would call the police probably. I dont know. Pretend to be his friend and ask to exchange numbers and when he takes his phone out, I'd swat it onto the ground. But then I'd be fucked if the cops caught up with me.

I was just trying to illustrate to Martin that if videoing someone anytime we thought something they were doing was inappropriate, was seen as acceptable, there would be a whole lot of confrontations going on.

This could all be moot anyway because no one knows for sure if taking a video in a public place is actually illegal. I know guys were getging pinged for taking covert bikini shots at becaches. Would it fall under that?

They could I guess claim they were engaged in romantic conduct or something and that it was voyeuristic filming, of course that would be admitting to public lewdness.

And did they harass any other passengers beside the filmer?

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 06:23:27 PM »
And did they harass any other passengers beside the filmer?

There's no evidence that they did.

The man claimed they did, and the media has simply copied this and run with it because it triggers the readership.

In the video you can see a couple of passengers feeling uncomfortable and moving seats, because the women are behaving in a slightly loud and boisterous manner. That is not the same thing as harassment.

Catch my drift?