June 20, 2018, 07:45:14 AM

Author Topic: Fleeing South Korea (documentary)  (Read 736 times)

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
Fleeing South Korea (documentary)
« on: March 22, 2018, 08:23:51 PM »

a new generation of South Koreans is saying enough is enough. They are voting for a more liberal and kinder lifestyle with their feet - leaving the country in droves.

Three things struck me as poignant about this documentary:

a) Koreans are so unable to change their country (and apparently their own mindset, values and way of doing things) that they have to emigrate

b) The emigration agency charged the guy US$ 27000 (!) to go and work on an American farm picking pine nuts

and c) the final conclusion "In Korea, people are unable to be themselves"...
Catch my drift?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Fleeing South Korea (documentary)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:46:59 PM »
it comes up a lot when i teach adults. about 90% of them say/said they would emigrate if they could

my tinfoil hat theory is they banned english for younger grades so they grow up with less english ability, and are less likely to be able to emigrate when they are older

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »

a new generation of South Koreans is saying enough is enough. They are voting for a more liberal and kinder lifestyle with their feet - leaving the country in droves.

Three things struck me as poignant about this documentary:

a) Koreans are so unable to change their country (and apparently their own mindset, values and way of doing things) that they have to emigrate

b) The emigration agency charged the guy US$ 27000 (!) to go and work on an American farm picking pine nuts

and c) the final conclusion "In Korea, people are unable to be themselves"...

If they're worried about Koreans judging them for not having the right car in Korea, how's it going to be any different when they move to a community of 100,000 Koreans in New York?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »

Hell, I can do that in Gapyeong.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:02 PM »
If they're worried about Koreans judging them for not having the right car in Korea, how's it going to be any different when they move to a community of 100,000 Koreans in New York?

Or heck, 100,000 New York leftists. Personally speaking, I know two Koreans who came to the U.S. full of ideals and were shocked by the left. One was a committed Christian and all her friends (she was a drama major) constantly ridiculed her for it (like she had anything to do with the American religious right or their personal issues with religion). Then you've got all the hipsters who will mock their taste in music or whatever. Then you've got other Koreans who will call them FOBs. Anyways, most Koreans that emigrate end up joining a Korean church and they seem to find some solace there.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »

Or heck, 100,000 New York leftists. Personally speaking, I know two Koreans who came to the U.S. full of ideals and were shocked by the left. One was a committed Christian and all her friends (she was a drama major) constantly ridiculed her for it (like she had anything to do with the American religious right or their personal issues with religion). Then you've got all the hipsters who will mock their taste in music or whatever. Then you've got other Koreans who will call them FOBs. Anyways, most Koreans that emigrate end up joining a Korean church and they seem to find some solace there.

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Then you have people like this complaining about the Model Minority myth. Gee, It must be terrible having a reputation for being hard working and not causing any trouble. As an Englishman my life's been ruined by having to live up to the 'you must be a gentleman' myth that has plagued my time in Asia.  :rolleyes:

I love it how they try to destroy the model minority myth by separating all the Asians into different nationalities then refer to 'White Americans' as being the oppressors. Isn't it terrible the way white Americans don't distinguish between Chinese, Japanese and Korean Americans.

And the suicide rate among Asian girls is much higher because of..... whitey? Nothing to do with the parents.  :huh:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:41:41 AM by eggieguffer »

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
The nonsense that is getting pumped into Asian heads these days by the left makes me shudder. All while they support Affirmative-Action policies that actively discriminate against Asians :rolleyes:

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »
A) I'm pretty sure most Koreans in the US don't care about anything "leftists" might say to them. After they get over the shock of learning that most Americans don't give a shit about Dokdo or King Sejong or the East Sea, they probably have to constantly look over their shoulder for racist violent conservatives.

B) Koreans complain all the time about Korea but they never do anything about it. Partly it's that their "woe is me I'm so busy/miserable" routine is just an act to make them look important, and part of it is that they bend over and grovel when any ajusshi with power clears his throat.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:20:43 AM »
A) I'm pretty sure most Koreans in the US don't care about anything "leftists" might say to them. After they get over the shock of learning that most Americans don't give a shit about Dokdo or King Sejong or the East Sea, they probably have to constantly look over their shoulder for racist violent conservatives.

B) Koreans complain all the time about Korea but they never do anything about it. Partly it's that their "woe is me I'm so busy/miserable" routine is just an act to make them look important, and part of it is that they bend over and grovel when any ajusshi with power clears his throat.

A) WRONG. Most Koreans in the US go to church and they don't much care for the constant anti-Christian and anti-religion stuff. None of the Koreans I know in the U.S. mentioned Dokdo or the East Sea. What you imagine in your head that Koreans are like and what Koreans actually ARE like in the U.S. are not the same thing. Same with conservatives. This has actually been confirmed in research by noted Prof. Jonathan Haidt, in his work 'The Righteous Mind', he found that liberals were unable to accurately conceptualize and understand conservative values, whereas conservative and moderate subjects were able to accurately articulate liberal values.

I guess Haidt's research doesn't just apply to differing political views, but understanding people from different cultures as well.

Thank goodness I can go to literally any other country in the world and no one will be complaining about life and the government and doing nothing about it. That certainly doesn't describe my facebook feed of friends back home.

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
Koreans complain all the time about Korea but they never do anything about it.

This was my point. They are victims of the same values that they then go on to inflict on others.

Koreans are ok with all kinds of discrimination and prejudice until they personally become the victim of it.

Hence you have bosses that will fire anyone over 40 years of age. Then when they themselves reach 45 they wonder why they get laid off its like "duh!".

Koreans need to realize "it begins with me"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:58:26 PM by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018