August 19, 2018, 05:30:43 PM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Team Korea finishes 7th with 17 medals (5 gold, 8 silver, 4 bronze  (Read 750 times)

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pad/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=244744

Korean finishes 7th not too bad considering usa is so big and korea is so small.
They are amazing. 
Bonzai!

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
Re: Team Korea finishes 7th with 17 medals (5 gold, 8 silver, 4 bronze
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:26:05 PM »
Two negative things:

Kim BoReum (female skater) continually apologising for her 'bullying' and looking like death warmed up during her medal ceremony was not nice to see.  Which brings me onto...

Korean athletes being interviewed right after finishing their event, regardless of the result.  MinJeong (speed skater) after being disqualified in the final gave an interview where she looked like she would start crying, and the above mentioned BoReum, who kept on apologising and looking suicidal.  Netizens have a lot to answer for. 

Apart from the rather blinkered coverage (only showing Korean events), it was good to see.  If you host, you should show as many events as possible.  You're showcasing the event.  Also amazed at how many high school students participated, especially in the skating. 

Beijing yesterday was 12 degrees.  Where are they going to get the snow from? 

Online Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:44:00 PM »
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pad/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=244744

Korean finishes 7th not too bad considering usa is so big and korea is so small.
They are amazing.

Home ground advantage. Its normal for the host nation to win an inordinate number of medals.
Catch my drift?

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:33 PM »
They did really well!

Don’t get all the hype about the women’s curling team. Sure, they did well but they were ranked 8th in the world and playing in their home country in front of a partisan crowd. They weren’t like say the Nigerian bobsleigh team who did as expected.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:30:24 PM by Savant »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
Two negative things:

Kim BoReum (female skater) continually apologising for her 'bullying' and looking like death warmed up during her medal ceremony was not nice to see.  Which brings me onto...

Korean athletes being interviewed right after finishing their event, regardless of the result.  MinJeong (speed skater) after being disqualified in the final gave an interview where she looked like she would start crying, and the above mentioned BoReum, who kept on apologising and looking suicidal.  Netizens have a lot to answer for. 

Apart from the rather blinkered coverage (only showing Korean events), it was good to see.  If you host, you should show as many events as possible.  You're showcasing the event.  Also amazed at how many high school students participated, especially in the skating. 

A couple days that I was in Gangneung over the past two weeks it was pretty close to that.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 05:07:29 PM »
Two negative things:

The same place they get their canned air.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 06:50:06 PM »
A more interesting comparison would be how much money each government spent supporting their athletes.

IMO, the Olympics is a farce. No real amateurs, athletes finding ways to compete for countries they have very little connection to because they couldn't make the grade back home and, of course, the IOC.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:07:33 AM »
A more interesting comparison would be how much money each government spent supporting their athletes.

IMO, the Olympics is a farce. No real amateurs, athletes finding ways to compete for countries they have very little connection to because they couldn't make the grade back home and, of course, the IOC.

Many of those amateurs subsist on poverty level wages.

I think it's great that athletes get to compete for other countries and raise awareness of other sports and promote those to other countries.

I agree the IOC is abysmal and the Olympics needs reform.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 07:07:18 AM »

Many of those amateurs subsist on poverty level wages.

I think it's great that athletes get to compete for other countries and raise awareness of other sports and promote those to other countries.

I agree the IOC is abysmal and the Olympics needs reform.
There used to be a rule that only amateurs could compete.

https://www.elitedaily.com/p/can-professional-athletes-compete-in-the-olympics-heres-the-deal-8120567

My wife recently found her Canadian Track and Field Association membership card, (from the 1980's) and it lists "Status: Amateur" as one of the key data points.

Offline Chester Jim

• Expert Waygook
  • Getter Done
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
If korea is going to be consistent and call out cheating and bad calls when it works against them ,then they should also call them out when they work in heir favor.   
That snowboarder caught a big break and the IOC has some splaining to do .
Bonzai!