June 23, 2018, 04:24:46 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1006087 times)

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7200 on: November 01, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
I used to work with several teachers like that, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you give them a chance to say they don't like what you found, they're going to say that. Just get in the rhythm of you come to class with the lesson ready, teach it, do a good job, and then they don't have to worry about your materials, and you don't have to run it past them. Just operate under the assumption that they should never need to ask you to find materials - you'll just bring them.

It's kind of hard to get into that routine if they've been approving or denying your stuff in the past, but if you start teaching with a new teacher, it's good to be just like, "Here's what we're doing, here's the files. See you tomorrow."
I like the idea and I wish I could do that, but my co is a complete control freak. She sits right next to me in the office and asks what I've found/made/working on every day. There's absolutely no way she'd ever allow any activity into the classroom that she didn't completely understand and pre-approve, and change parts of. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7201 on: November 01, 2017, 11:43:47 AM »
It's always a privilege to witness my CT in action when it comes to discipline and the effectiveness of Korean teacher training. She teaches one class by herself and I sit in the next room. If you've ever visited Earth, you might've heard the noise her class makes. In an effort to combat this ear splitting raucous, she's turned to technology by plugging in the microphone and attempting to scream the lesson over the student's noise.

Not entirely dense, it took her 3 months to realize that this ultimately doubles the noise. So she's adopted the strategy of teaching the students to police each other by permitting them to shout the words "Be Quiet" at any noise violators. Now, we've got an English lesson of my CT shouting awkward Key Expressions through a speaker while 30 students are all attempting to scream "Be Quiet!" at their friends.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7202 on: November 01, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
This kind of stuff is so funny!

I'm really laughing, so I don't know why I'm putting it in the ranting thread. I guess because it's just so ridiculous to find these chapters in a foreign language book. I wonder what they learn in their actual Korean lessons.

"Wow! Koreans are very smart."

Now I know why the Koreans I meet act like unpaid government tour and culture guides, even after I tell them I've been living here for several years. They are taught that this is how your conversations with foreigners are supposed to go. And why they act so disappointed when I don't gush over what they think I should gush over.  I didn't follow the script  :laugh:

It's almost surreal.

I've taken classes in Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Spanish, and not a single one of them included chapters about America. I had plenty of other classes in which to learn about my own country; my languages classes gave me the opportunity to learn about different cultures and new places.

I genuinely think the English books here are doing the students a disservice. Happily, I've often been given the opportunity to teach classes about whatever I feel like teaching them, so I try to give them the cultural exposure their textbooks don't.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7203 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
This kind of stuff is so funny!

I'm really laughing, so I don't know why I'm putting it in the ranting thread. I guess because it's just so ridiculous to find these chapters in a foreign language book. I wonder what they learn in their actual Korean lessons.

"Wow! Koreans are very smart."

Now I know why the Koreans I meet act like unpaid government tour and culture guides, even after I tell them I've been living here for several years. They are taught that this is how your conversations with foreigners are supposed to go. And why they act so disappointed when I don't gush over what they think I should gush over.  I didn't follow the script  :laugh:

Surprisingly, I've heard this has nothing to do with the inferiority complex.
Textbook publishers have a better shot of getting rich by getting MOE's to authorise the use of their textbooks when they fill it with nationalistic drivel.
The South Korean government, just like their comrades in the North, love Nationalism and filling their citizens with it. The more Nationalistic the people become, the easier they are to manipulate and the less likely they are to care when their overlords in government/Samsung get caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #7204 on: November 02, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
Had this discussion years ago with my first CT when I was still working with a CT. She was a brand new teacher. She told me they get virtually no classroom management training and student teaching is like a week but it's not really student teaching, because I have seen it first hand in my high school. They come in for two weeks (high school) and spend most of the time observing senior teachers and then they teach one truncated lesson (20 mins) with the senior teacher in the room to control the students.
I actually feel sorry for Kteachers, their prep is lacking in the classroom management and child psychology areas.
It's always a privilege to witness my CT in action when it comes to discipline and the effectiveness of Korean teacher training. She teaches one class by herself and I sit in the next room. If you've ever visited Earth, you might've heard the noise her class makes. In an effort to combat this ear splitting raucous, she's turned to technology by plugging in the microphone and attempting to scream the lesson over the student's noise.

Not entirely dense, it took her 3 months to realize that this ultimately doubles the noise. So she's adopted the strategy of teaching the students to police each other by permitting them to shout the words "Be Quiet" at any noise violators. Now, we've got an English lesson of my CT shouting awkward Key Expressions through a speaker while 30 students are all attempting to scream "Be Quiet!" at their friends.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7205 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »
It's officially "Close the door!" season.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7206 on: November 02, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user 

I'd like to make a polite request that you stop this now.  It's gone on long enough I think.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7207 on: November 02, 2017, 12:22:14 PM »
What is it with some women in the country sounding like a slightly higher pitched Vincent Price?

You can hear it sometimes with 앵~~~?

It's like a high pitched nasally whine.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7208 on: November 02, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »

waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user waygook.org user 

I'd like to make a polite request that you stop this now.  It's gone on long enough I think.

Agreed. Very spammy too.
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7209 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »

Disagree.

It lets me know I should read it in the voice I made up for #theBasedOne; kind of like actor David Carradine’s.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #7210 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
Saw three people on my facebook feed use the term 'adulting'.

F millennials are stupid. And to think our grandparents were storming Okinawa. Get over yourselves people.

Offline tanis62458

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7211 on: November 02, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »

Disagree.

It lets me know I should read it in the voice I made up for #theBasedOne; kind of like actor David Carradine’s.

i always read #thebasedone like it's bill from bill and ted's excellent adventure.  i don't know why....
:blank:

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #7212 on: November 02, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »

Disagree.

i always read #thebasedone like it's bill from bill and ted's excellent adventure.  i don't know why....
:blank:

That works too!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #7213 on: November 07, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »
This site feels so wide now.  Whinge whinge.

The happy yellow square in the tab is a bit off putting.  Whinge whinge. 

:laugh:

I hope I don't overthink (as is usual) and make a muck of things.  Should just have a good time and enjoy the present~

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #7214 on: November 07, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »
Sometimes it feels like I'm playing some kind of obscure Japanese RPG when I'm trying to get information out of my CTs here.

I'll ask an innocent question but if I'm not asking the "right" person (one out of a possible four), they'll kind of do this weird avoid-the-question-clam-up thing and I'm left scratching my head.  Even if they know the answer they won't tell me!  Or it'll be like drawing blood from a stone after they've told me "you should ask XXX (handler/official CT)".

They really are terrified that they'll be doing someone else's job if they answer a simple question!  Or, heaven forbid, they don't want my "handler" (god I hate that term) to get out of answering a query I have.

I know Korean people are absolutely helpful and lovely people, but I've just never gotten used to the rigid, "not my job" outlook of teachers here.  Or maybe just in my school haha!

Offline phantomemma

• Waygookin
« Reply #7215 on: November 07, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »
Why can't my students understand the concept of raising their hands to answer/speak?

I swear to god, I have to remind them to do it every 5 minutes. Even the classes I've been teaching in the same manner for over a year struggle to remember.

Are their school classes just total free for alls where everyone screams and shouts the answers during the entire class? Or are they just so rarely allowed to speak that they can't contain themselves?

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7216 on: November 08, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »
My neighbours are a real piece of work.

He's a geriatric ajushi, with an attitude and she's a lying little scorpion.
They regularly cook the most God awful foods and keep their windows closed so there's a constant decaying carcass smell permeating in the hallway. Before I moved in, I heard that on 3 occasions he fell asleep while cooking and started a fire. Apparently the landlord has been unsuccessful in evicting this fossil as he stubbornly refuses to move or change his ways.   

This morning, at 5AM, for the 3rd time in as many weeks, I was woken by the banging of what sounded like a hammer or mallet (probably for cooking). Absolutely livid, I banged on his door (a bit shocked that I could bang with enough force to cause the hallway to tremor ever so slightly) and told him to stop.
So, what does a badass ajushi do when a potentially dangerous person is banging the shit out is door? He sends his little 4ft 70yr old wife to investigate.
Without skipping a beat, she straight up lies and says she can't hear anything.

The landlord, who lives above, heard the ruckus and came down. He told her to to tell her chickensh*t husband to stop and she repeated that they weren't banging anything. I'm absolutely certain it's them as our bedroom is right next to their living room and I can distinctly hear it coming from their place.

Hopefully the next bang is this old sod knocking on the gates of St Peters.

Offline MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #7217 on: November 08, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
CoT: What days do you want for vacation?
Me: Not 100% sure yet.
CoT: Well we need to put them in by the end of the day. Sorry I didn't tell you before.

Guess I will just randomly pick and then work around that.  :cry:

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7218 on: November 08, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
CoT: Well we need to put them in by the end of the day. Sorry I didn't tell you before.

And I have the complete opposite. No camp dates finalised and no one can tell me when I can take vacation..... and I need to pay for air tickets now otherwise it is just going to be too expensive to go home.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7219 on: November 08, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »

And I have the complete opposite. No camp dates finalised and no one can tell me when I can take vacation..... and I need to pay for air tickets now otherwise it is just going to be too expensive to go home.

Yeah, this is awlays my problem. I wanna book a flight to Bali, yo! NOW, finalise those goddamn dates.