October 18, 2018, 07:26:35 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1121374 times)

donovan

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #6120 on: July 12, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
Sorry, kyndo. No more~

But it's more than just bad grammar, I'll have you know. It's a REFERENCE.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:33:49 PM by donovan »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6121 on: July 12, 2017, 09:26:03 PM »
Jeonse update: Got some of the figures wrong first time around after speaking to the wife. Current Landlady, actually, bought our place for 280 million and offered us Jeonse for 240 million, so a bit of a difference but still really high.

Anyway, she may not be selling after all after she called my wife tonight. Apparently, a new law introduced this year, stuck a 50% tax on profit made from property if you are selling it within 2 years of owning it.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #6122 on: July 13, 2017, 07:24:52 AM »
So you are staying in an apartment that is over $1,200,0000....   but you pay 380$ in rent.....
I'm calling bullshit.  This doesn't add up whatsoever.  You couldn't rent a $50,000 apt anywhere in USA for 380$ month.  The taxes on the place would be your payment alone.

Also...   The Jeonse system is nothing more than a simple PONZI scheme that will crash, if and when, a large financial crisis occurs.  Most likely crippling the economy.  I would never give my own money even if I had it.  Better to get a loan and mitigate risk if losing it all if an implosion occurs.

Erm, I'm not talking dollars here.  If that makes it easier to understand, and not think it's bollocks.  Why would I talk in a currency I have no idea about?

At the current exchange rate 1.4 billion won = 1,222,280.40 dollars, so he underestimated. You are paying 349 dollars a month rent. Are you sure you didn't get the numbers confused?

That's a 952,000 quid flat and you're paying 68 quid a week rent

Oops, my bad!!  Apologies.  Appears I have no money sense at all  :blank:

I get confused with Korean money when it gets up into those 억 areas.  What I should have said was 240 million won, obviously.  My bad again.  English festival next week so my mind ain't on maintaining internet clarity.   :-[

I'm sure a 1.4 billion apartment in Seoul would get you a 8 pyeong with a view of a someone else's living room, and above a bowling alley, and below a night club.   :laugh:

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6123 on: July 13, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »
Why is a random teacher telling me that I have to go and stay in the staff room every afternoon? What's wrong with staying in the English classroom? She then proceeded to berate me to arrange the desks and keep the place clean. I use this classroom one day a week! The desks are in a different arrangement every week not once perpetrated by myself. There's a bunch of fourth graders who are supposed to clean it during lunch! Pass the buck!! Argh!

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #6124 on: July 13, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »
I'm sure a 1.4 billion apartment in Seoul would get you a 8 pyeong with a view of a someone else's living room, and above a bowling alley, and below a night club

To give people an idea. My previous apartment in Seoul sold for 600 million. It wasn't new, hadn't been decorated in a while but had three bedrooms and two bath rooms. The owner was renting it out and I showed a foreign couple round. They were quoted 100 mil deposit and 1.2 million a month rent.

gidget

« Reply #6125 on: July 13, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.

I'm sorry.
I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

92^F is a little over 33^C, buy the way. And despite my stubborn and imperious (i.e. American) proclivities, I'd be in favor of switching to metric just for the sake of never having to spell Fairenhite ever again.

These are my happy posts for the week  ;D & Donovan - I love your sense of humour. Thank you!

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6126 on: July 13, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
Hey, Korean Co-Ts! I am not teaching the musical class for "two hours." I am teaching it for 80 mins. The class length here is 40 mins. The word you're looking for is "two periods."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

donovan

« Reply #6127 on: July 13, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
@gidget

Thanks. It can be hit or miss sometimes :undecided:

Hey, Korean Co-Ts! I am not teaching the musical class for "two hours." I am teaching it for 80 mins. The class length here is 40 mins. The word you're looking for is "two periods."

Shhhh. (This works out in your favor for contracted teaching 'hours'.)

donovan

« Reply #6128 on: July 13, 2017, 11:36:40 AM »
Why is a random teacher telling me that I have to go and stay in the staff room every afternoon? What's wrong with staying in the English classroom? She then proceeded to berate me to arrange the desks and keep the place clean. I use this classroom one day a week! The desks are in a different arrangement every week not once perpetrated by myself. There's a bunch of fourth graders who are supposed to clean it during lunch! Pass the buck!! Argh!

If there weren't after school classes in our English room, I might be tempted to hang out there after class, too. After school classes also proceed to mess up the seats, run the markers dry, not bother to turn off the computer, and leave trash all over the tables and floor. A sixth grade class is supposed to clean but routinely fails to do so. I used to tidy up the room every day, but now I do so sparingly.

I also now throw all my trash in the bathroom trash cans next to the toilets because our office allows the trash and recycling to continue piling up far beyond capacity and it's disgusting. #BasedCowboyShirt, you might be happy to know that I meticulously arranged a recycling area for our office over spring vacation and clearly labeled the bins that various materials should be thrown into (I even bought those colored recycling bags from Daiso), which has since been summarily ignored by everybody else in the office. :undecided:

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6129 on: July 13, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »
I'm so exhausted, and I still have 2 classes to teach back-to-back after lunch  :cry:

The heat is really getting to me. Plus, the diet I mentioned yesterday is also draining my energy. I need to start exercising regularly so I can get some energy back.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #6130 on: July 13, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »
I'm so exhausted, and I still have 2 classes to teach back-to-back after lunch  :cry:

The heat is really getting to me. Plus, the diet I mentioned yesterday is also draining my energy. I need to start exercising regularly so I can get some energy back.

I wish more people thought like us.

"I'm so tired all the time, therefore I will lay down forever."

Well, it ain't gonna get any better................................ MOVE
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6131 on: July 13, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »
So...Thursday school. It's nice enough but....

One of the admin workers came into the science room and said I'm not allowed to use electricity in here. Which she then went and turned off.

She then came back with one more person who told me I am not allowed to use the aircon or the electricity so I should go to the English class.

So I tell her there is an English class going on.

How about the library like usual? Well you should know the school started having parents come in on Thursday and work there til 2. After i finish in here I move there which is also ****** annoying but I haven't complained.

How about the Teachers room? You mean with the spare computer that other teachers come in every 5 minutes to use.

I'm really ill today and I feel like saying **** it. If you don't have the facilities available and me being here and using 40 minutes worth of electricity is going to push you over the budget then you've got bigger problems.  >:( >:( >:(

edit - the electricity gets turned on at 2 when the after school teacher comes in, so it's not like there is a problem with the room.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6132 on: July 13, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
It's great how convenient online shopping is here, but sometimes buying things in the store is just so much easier. I gave my co my camp shopping list, and they're going to order what I need. That seems so silly to me, because then you're paying for shipping. It wastes all that money when everything I need can be bought at emart or Daiso. Why can't they just let me go shopping for what I need then reimburse me after I give them a receipt? It would be cheaper and less hassle for everyone.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6133 on: July 13, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
So...Thursday school. It's nice enough but....

One of the admin workers came into the science room and said I'm not allowed to use electricity in here. Which she then went and turned off.

She then came back with one more person who told me I am not allowed to use the aircon or the electricity so I should go to the English class.

So I tell her there is an English class going on.

How about the library like usual? Well you should know the school started having parents come in on Thursday and work there til 2. After i finish in here I move there which is also ****** annoying but I haven't complained.

How about the Teachers room? You mean with the spare computer that other teachers come in every 5 minutes to use.

I'm really ill today and I feel like saying **** it. If you don't have the facilities available and me being here and using 40 minutes worth of electricity is going to push you over the budget then you've got bigger problems.  >:( >:( >:(

edit - the electricity gets turned on at 2 when the after school teacher comes in, so it's not like there is a problem with the room.

That is crazy! I don't think I would take to kindly to all of that. Bring in some board games, and let them have at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6134 on: July 13, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »
It's great how convenient online shopping is here, but sometimes buying things in the store is just so much easier. I gave my co my camp shopping list, and they're going to order what I need. That seems so silly to me, because then you're paying for shipping. It wastes all that money when everything I need can be bought at emart or Daiso. Why can't they just let me go shopping for what I need then reimburse me after I give them a receipt? It would be cheaper and less hassle for everyone.

I wanted to purchase some things online (we've done this in the past) but my coT doesn't want to pay for shipping.  So I said that I would take a weekend to go shopping on the mainland.  She shot this down too, for being "too expensive."  Then how do you propose I get the supplies I want?  :rolleyes:  I'm going to get them one way or another. 

Previous times I've borrowed a school credit card to go shopping for camp supplies.  It's a really small school so maybe that's why they let me.  I don't see why it would be so difficult to just use my own card/cash and then get reimbursed later with a receipt but maybe that's just how things are done back home. 

gidget

« Reply #6135 on: July 13, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
Devil's advocate: it's an admin thing. They have to get approval for the stuff you want to buy before they can buy it. Anything anyone want to buy involves pre-approval because some teachers went nuts with credit card power a while back. If the price changes while someone's budget is being processed or even after it's been approved it means resubmitting the whole thing.

Online shopping is the easiest way to get stuff for the school especially if the admin office rejects a price or item/s.

However, if you want to physically buy the stuff yourself (and getting the cards from the school for any teacher - not just you - is difficult and involves copious warnings and threats before it'll be handed over) you'll have to go to the Daiso and eMart and get all the prices beforehand (take photos to have documentation that you're not making things up AND make sure that nothing is on sale), and then give that to someone with the balls to take it to the admin office to get permission before submitting the budget. You'll have a better chance of being able to buy your camp stuff that way.

But if you do get the card you won't be able to deviate from the approved price or item even if you get a cheaper product.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6136 on: July 13, 2017, 03:15:34 PM »
Devil's advocate: it's an admin thing. They have to get approval for the stuff you want to buy before they can buy it. Anything anyone want to buy involves pre-approval because some teachers went nuts with credit card power a while back. If the price changes while someone's budget is being processed or even after it's been approved it means resubmitting the whole thing.

Online shopping is the easiest way to get stuff for the school especially if the admin office rejects a price or item/s.

However, if you want to physically buy the stuff yourself (and getting the cards from the school for any teacher - not just you - is difficult and involves copious warnings and threats before it'll be handed over) you'll have to go to the Daiso and eMart and get all the prices beforehand (take photos to have documentation that you're not making things up AND make sure that nothing is on sale), and then give that to someone with the balls to take it to the admin office to get permission before submitting the budget. You'll have a better chance of being able to buy your camp stuff that way.

But if you do get the card you won't be able to deviate from the approved price or item even if you get a cheaper product.

Thing is, I make the supply list along with the costs and quantities for everything beforehand and get it approved by my coT who then has to get it approved by the admin office.  So I'm not sure why she's being weird about online shopping and shopping in physical stores-- which are the only two options for getting the goods  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6137 on: July 13, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
Thing is, I make the supply list along with the costs and quantities for everything beforehand and get it approved by my coT who then has to get it approved by the admin office.  So I'm not sure why she's being weird about online shopping and shopping in physical stores-- which are the only two options for getting the goods  :lipsrsealed:

Try "Welp, I guess we can't have camp this summer. Sorry!"

Then act confused when they try to insist otherwise.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #6138 on: July 13, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »

Try "Welp, I guess we can't have camp this summer. Sorry!"

Then act confused when they try to insist otherwise.

It's also like pulling teeth every time I just try to get the budget.  I mean of course I'm glad to get help at all (my first camp had zero budget and I know some folks consistently have zero budget) but I have to go through this song and dance every time now:

Me:  What's the budget?
coT:  Oh, just make a list of whatever you want!  I can ask for more money. 
Me:  But... what's the budget?
coT:  Don't worry about the budget!
Me:  Can you just give me an estimate?
coT:  Just make the list!
Me:  Okay...

*time passes*

Me:  Could we order [insert item here] for camp? 
coT:  Oh... I think that's expensive for our budget. 
Me:  Well, what's our budget? 
coT:  Ehmmm...
Me:  It's really difficult to plan without a budget.  Please just give me an estimate. 

After some hemming and hawing I finally get an estimated figure.  But I have to drag it out of my coT  :undecided:

gidget

« Reply #6139 on: July 13, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »
I taught at a school where the admin office kinda applied things differently to different teachers. The more competent teachers and the ones willing to fight for what they wanted got a little more leeway. The teachers who needed hand-holding had a whole lotta rules and regulations, one of them being no physical stores after someone (it only took one person) bought a whole bunch of cheaper things. Realised there was money left over in the approved budget, and then bought random unapproved junk.

And that was the year the school was audited. The admin office lost their marbles.