June 21, 2018, 12:38:13 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 999642 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #340 on: July 21, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
Relationships are the worst.

:sad: What happened?

I feel like none of the foreigners here are looking for anything serious.  Except me.  I guess I'm just crazy?

I can't remember if it was you or krissyboo that broke up recently, but if it makes you feel better, my relationship of about four years ended a little while ago because he couldn't handle the distance anymore. I refuse to see anyone until I go back home now for that reason so maybe that's what everyone else is thinking, too. :sad: It really sucks, but I think that's (unfortunately) one of the sacrifices that many, not all obviously, people make when they choose to go abroad. You're not crazy for wanting something more serious; it's what I want for myself, as well. Unfortunately, for me, it's just not happening in Korea.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #341 on: July 21, 2016, 04:07:16 PM »
Speaking of relationships, I wish my school would stop trying to set me up on a blind date. They mean well, and I appreciate that, but jesus, it's only been a few months versus four years. I'm not willing to meet anyone just yet, and like I mentioned in my previous post, I have no intention of meeting anyone while I'm in Korea.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #342 on: July 21, 2016, 07:19:26 PM »
Also I hope the ferry bringing EPIK teachers to dokdo sinks.  Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Are you kidding me? Why woukd you wish that??

It won't sink and I am going to have a great time. In the off chance that this does happen, I will haunt you forever...

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #343 on: July 22, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »
Three months ago I was told there was no budget to pay a teacher to teach camp with me. I was so unbelievably happy.

I found out today that this hasn't been true for about 2.5 months but no one bothered to tell me. I am now running over the lesson plans and materials the Friday before my Monday camp, materials that have been planned and made for 3 months now, and my one CT is complaining that she doesn't like XY or Z and it needs to be changed.

I politely told her she had 3 months to read the lesson plans and it's too late to change it now.

I hate incompetence.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #344 on: July 22, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
Working in the office when all the electronics suddenly shut off. I immediately run into the hall-- the maintenance guy turned off the electricity in the building.

I'm still here!! Just cause everyone else left early for summer break doesn't mean I did... luckily not much damage done since Chrome restores browser tabs and I save constantly (whatever file I work on) but come on!!!

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #345 on: July 25, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
Had my hopes up all last week thinking I'd have days off this week. Wrong. Deskwarming all week. *bangs head repeatedly on desk*

Only 35 days left in Korea.
35 days.
35 days.
35 days.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
I bet the next five pages of this thread are deskwarming complaints. Imagine how much happier your average Korean would be if they'd just learn to cut out the useless 'working' hours that everyone spends trapped in their respective workplaces doing anything but work. Longest working hours in the OECD is not something to be proud of!!

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #347 on: July 25, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
Just to continue the deskwarming hatred theme.... I am now officially alone in my office for the next 4.5 hours. Just like I will be tomorrow. And the next day. And every single f-ing day for the next three weeks before I *finally* get permission to take my 8 days off.

I love my co-teacher, but I honestly almost cried when she breezed out of here with a cheery "enjoy your afternoon!" after camp ended this morning.

Ugh. Is it okay to spend my deskwarming time crying? Because I just feel like crying today.

Why can't I leave after camp ends like every other teacher in this school? I feel like I'm being punished.....

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #348 on: July 25, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »
Just to continue the deskwarming hatred theme.... I am now officially alone in my office for the next 4.5 hours. Just like I will be tomorrow. And the next day. And every single f-ing day for the next three weeks before I *finally* get permission to take my 8 days off.

I love my co-teacher, but I honestly almost cried when she breezed out of here with a cheery "enjoy your afternoon!" after camp ended this morning.

Ugh. Is it okay to spend my deskwarming time crying? Because I just feel like crying today.

Why can't I leave after camp ends like every other teacher in this school? I feel like I'm being punished.....

It could be worse. My CT breezed out after camp and then my other PITA CT showed up to work on 'camp.'

What that entails I have no idea as I organized, planned and made all the materials. Other than annoying the hell out of what I expected to be some serious workout and book reading time.

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #349 on: July 25, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »
Lol scratch that. I can't stay in my English office. I need to "come to the main office" if I want to use the AC.

And they're all laughing, talking, and eating. And smacking.

Three weeks. How can I do this for three weeks.

Offline Athena

• Waygookin
« Reply #350 on: July 25, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
I've never been able to wrap my head around the whole desk warming bs. The MOE doesn't even give a good reason for it. I understand that it's because a long time ago foreigners were complaining because some people had better schools letting them have better vacations and some did not (which was petty since I've never heard of any teacher back home complaining to the government that person x has a better benefit at school z at a different school).
But let's face it, it's a waste of time and resources, and the MOE has to know that. Considering the education system is completely broke and firing off (not recontracting) NETs in different areas, you'd think they'd get some common sense and shave off costs such as the camps and wasting resources for desk warming. If they really want us to do camp, then fine, but doesn't it just make more sense to just do a standard 4 or 5 week camp between vacations and then just cut out the desk warming completely?
I'm starting to think they just force the desk warming out of spite and stubborness

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:29:15 AM by Athena »

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #351 on: July 25, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
I've never been able to wrap my head around the whole desk warming bs. The MOE doesn't even give a good reason for it. I understand that it's because a long time ago foreigners were complaining because some people had better schools letting them have better vacations and some did not (which was petty since I've never heard of any teacher back home complaining to the government that person x has a better benefit at school z at a different school).
But let's face it, it's a waste of time and resources, and the MOE has to know that. Considering the education system is completely broke and firing off (not recontracting) NETs in different areas, you'd think they'd get some common sense and shave off costs such as the camps and wasting resources for desk warming. If they really want us to do camp, then fine, but doesn't it just make more sense to just do a standard 4 or 5 week camp between vacations and then just cut out the desk warming completely?
I'm starting to think they just force the desk warming out of spite and stubborness

Yeah, it's truly one of those things that adds nothing but negative value to one persons life while giving nothing positive to another. I could understand maybe if it was a zero sum game for the school but it's just not. Negative sum things are usually done out of spite.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #352 on: July 25, 2016, 11:39:49 AM »

I'm not renewing and refuse to do any more desk warming. I just leave after I'm done with camp. Of course, I got told I must stay etc etc, and even that I have to ask permission from the vice principal if I want to go and eat lunch! Didn't realise I was in a prison? Either way, **** it.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #353 on: July 25, 2016, 11:55:09 AM »
Just wrapped up my first day of summer camp. I still feel lost...

Offline Action Jackson

• Super Waygook
« Reply #354 on: July 25, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »
I bet the next five pages of this thread are deskwarming complaints. Imagine how much happier your average Korean would be if they'd just learn to cut out the useless 'working' hours that everyone spends trapped in their respective workplaces doing anything but work. Longest working hours in the OECD is not something to be proud of!!
And in couple weeks time it'll be about having to come back to Korea, starting work again, and how great life was outside of Korea.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #355 on: July 25, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »

Me too.

It was pretty pointless it seems. The turn out isn't so great. Oh well. The kids that did show up seemed to enjoy their time. Good thing I had a ton of games and stuff to keep them occupied.

I just dont know if I should actually be attempting to teach English at this thing.

Offline klx001

• Adventurer
  • what is life.
« Reply #356 on: July 25, 2016, 01:31:51 PM »
Lol scratch that. I can't stay in my English office. I need to "come to the main office" if I want to use the AC.

And they're all laughing, talking, and eating. And smacking.

Three weeks. How can I do this for three weeks.

don't be so bitter...they probably think your lack of lip smacking is weird. lol... or if you can't beat'em, join'em. LOL. jkjk....or am i?....anyways, just try your very best to zone them out. look like you're working hard and plug in some headphones with music playing in the background and imagine you're somewhere far far away.. it helps. lol it could be worst. like no AC.
idk tho.

Offline waygook2016

• Waygookin
« Reply #357 on: July 25, 2016, 01:35:33 PM »
I think I'm going to bring my yoga mat and a copy of P90X to work tomorrow. There's no excuse for wasting this much time.

They turned off the AC anyway so.... Might as well make it count.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #358 on: July 25, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
They turned off the water so they can do maintenance on something, and the drilling is so loud I can't hear myself think. I'm gonna go find food and hope that they're finished by the time I come back.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #359 on: July 25, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »

Me too.

It was pretty pointless it seems. The turn out isn't so great. Oh well. The kids that did show up seemed to enjoy their time. Good thing I had a ton of games and stuff to keep them occupied.

I just dont know if I should actually be attempting to teach English at this thing.

Don't do it! They don't want to learn and you shouldn't have to teach anything more than the basics. Spin it that you're teaching through English immersion.  :laugh: Just have fun. That's all the school usually expects

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018