June 20, 2018, 12:10:09 AM

Author Topic: Some insight into korean drinking culture  (Read 18656 times)

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
Re: Some insight into korean drinking culture
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2015, 04:35:11 AM »
Well, I strongly suggest neither of you ever find yourselves out and about after dark in any British or Irish provincial town or city centres!

I've come across a few North Americans who seem to be genuinely shocked by how people drink in Korea and what they do when they're drunk. However, I'm pretty sure that most people looking at it from a British or Irish perspective would think that what goes on here is very, very tame indeed compared to what we're used to seeing.

Bah! Modern British nightlife is for wimps. I'm from a place called the nineties, and nineties British nightlife was proper rough. Everyone and their mum was out for a fight and a fcuk, and we didn't have none of that Instagram nonsense, tender-heartedness or metrosexuality.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
Re: Korean drinking culture
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »
I'm confused how people can go to Korea and not know about the drinking culture. Did you guys put on blindfolds and insert corks into your ears before you made the decision to move? Hell, the free flowing booze is one of things I hope never changes about the country..

Be careful, as the contract states that you are not to drink at school, but if you are placed in a rural area, they sometimes drink soju at lunch, especially the principal and male teachers.

If you are placed in a bigger town or city, that practice has largely disappeared.

Oh man, you are making me rethink my location preferences!

Offline VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »
The average Korean drinks 9.16 liters of pure alcohol per person each year, roughly the equivalent of 60 bottles of soju.

Yet, the average is misleading because 33% of Koreans don't drink, according to the same research study.

That means of all those who drink, they drink almost two bottle of soju every week on average. That makes sense given how liberally it's poured in restaurants, even an family dinners.

http://www.koreatimesus.com/the-average-korean-drinks-9-16-liters-of-alcohol-each-year/

Offline Rusty Brown

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2015, 04:51:41 PM »
I swear ninety percent of people in Korea are either teetotal or not interested in drinking, and quite a lot of Koreans have almost no tolerance to alcohol. It seems to be a small portion of drinkers carrying the country's bacchanalian reputation.

Offline bjinglee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2015, 05:57:44 PM »
I swear ninety percent of people in Korea are either teetotal or not interested in drinking, and quite a lot of Koreans have almost no tolerance to alcohol. It seems to be a small portion of drinkers carrying the country's bacchanalian reputation.
I don't know about 90% but the drinking scene isn't as widespread as I thought. At my previous school only about half the teachers drank. At my current school it's even less that that. And while I know a lot of companies have obligatory late night drunk fests, a lot of Korean I know work for companies that don't do this. 

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018