November 22, 2017, 08:54:08 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 405903 times)

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4560 on: November 10, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »
Then who the hell is Pecan?!

Just a nut. 

So I think this cake is meant for sharing but I'm totally eating it all by myself.   :evil:

ZING.

And how big is the cake?

Single size portion for 'muricans but def sharing size for Koreans  :angel:

One of those tasty little ice cream cakes from Paris Baguette. 

I have definitely fallen victim to the misunderstanding of, "Oh... this is for sharing? It's hardly a single portion... at least... where I'm... from-- *hangs head in shame and weeps*"

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4561 on: November 10, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »
Then who the hell is Pecan?!

Just a nut. 

So I think this cake is meant for sharing but I'm totally eating it all by myself.   :evil:

ZING.

And how big is the cake?

Single size portion for 'muricans but def sharing size for Koreans  :angel:

I have definitely fallen victim to the misunderstanding of, "Oh... this is for sharing? It's hardly a single portion... at least... where I'm... from-- *hangs head in shame and weeps*"

Koreans will even share a single slice of cake among several!!  Madness. 

I am happier with smaller cans of soda poison beverages though.  I can actually finish one in a single go.   :laugh:

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4562 on: November 10, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »

I am happier with smaller cans of soda poison beverages though.  I can actually finish one in a single go.   :laugh:

Nice! I'm quite happy with the cheaper cigarette prices. I can now slowly kill myself at much less the gut punch to my wallet :D

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4563 on: November 10, 2017, 02:13:29 PM »

I like the small cans too. They ensure a super fresh rum and coke every single time. Either buy the little cans, or drink faster. I think I will buy the bigger ones for this afternoon. That last class was annoying.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4564 on: November 13, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
There's a 6th grade girl at one of my school, who aside from being exceptional at English and really sweet and friendly, is a freak of an athlete. She's only just above average height and slim, but that girls already got some guns and legs that look like they can sprint up a mountain.

Today I taught comparatives and let the students do an arm wrestling contest, she managed to beat the strongest boy (he's just under 180cm and solidly built for his age), he didn't let her win either. I'm pretty strong myself and she challenged me. I
beat her quite easily, but it's definitely the most effort I've had to exert when beating a student.
On athletics day, I've also seen her destroy the other students (boys and girls) over the 400m relay. I give high fives to my students after class and they love it when I raise my hand really high so they can attempt to jump and hit it... This girl can actually touch the damn ceiling with her jump!

I'm going to be sure to remember this girl's name. I have a hunch I'll see her representing Korea in the olympics one day.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4565 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:43 AM »
Our principal (nicest lady you could ever meet) just sent a bunch of us a message in Korean. Translated......

"Please stop making anonymous personnel who try to act as principal."

:laugh: What the hell is going on? Is she being usurped or is this legit identity theft? hahahaha

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4566 on: November 14, 2017, 08:44:39 AM »

Interesting -- I didn't know that Paris Baguette sells ice cream cakes.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4567 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »

Interesting -- I didn't know that Paris Baguette sells ice cream cakes.

Yeah, but it isn't the same as ice cream cakes from back home. When they say ice cream cake here, they mean ice cream in the shape of a cake (so no actual cake). Back home, there was ice cream actually inside of a cake. Just to let you know before you think you're in for a treat.

Offline OnNut81

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4568 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Speaking of ice cream has anyone tried the treats at the recently opened Dairy Queen in Taehagno?  Never really went to the back home, but if it's any good I'll head up.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4569 on: November 14, 2017, 10:38:53 AM »
Yeah, but it isn't the same as ice cream cakes from back home. When they say ice cream cake here, they mean ice cream in the shape of a cake (so no actual cake). Back home, there was ice cream actually inside of a cake. Just to let you know before you think you're in for a treat.

Huh...interesting.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4570 on: November 14, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »

Huh...interesting.

Usually. To be fair, there's a pleasant amount of cakey crumbs dusted all over the ice cream "cake" I like to get.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4571 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
I need a change. A big change, but not too big .... I don't want to move home, but I need to move, maybe to Busan, or Goeje, somewhere with a beach. But I am also lazy and don't feel like the whole, re-apply to EPIK to transfer provinces and potentially not get through the process and end up unemployed,  plus I am not sure they have a huge number of couple positions and I think I will be given my renewal papers by the end of the week so decisions must be made and right now I just really am hungry so thinking is hard. For a fleeting moment I thought about changing from public to the dreaded hagwon, but I let that idea go. Shit hours. Not enough paid vacay.

And now I want ice cream cake from back home ......
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4572 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
What constitutes as "fancy" Korean food?

Whenever I've been out to nice/expensive places here, it's always non-Korean food. Expensive Japanese style sushi, or steak, Italian, French etc.

Has anyone had expensive/fancy Korean food? I asked some Korean people and they said when they want to go out to some nice upscale restaurant, it's usually western food. Aside from the controversial hanwoo meat (which is just expensive)  what else is there?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4573 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

Whenever I've been out to nice/expensive places here, it's always non-Korean food. Expensive Japanese style sushi, or steak, Italian, French etc.

Has anyone had expensive/fancy Korean food? I asked some Korean people and they said when they want to go out to some nice upscale restaurant, it's usually western food. Aside from the controversial hanwoo meat (which is just expensive)  what else is there?

Although not really expensive, but kind of, there is that one Korean buffet. I can't remember the name of it, but it is supposed to be a Korean food buffet. I went once, and it was fine, but not impressive in the least. Other than that, the only other thing that I think is actually pretty pricey, is if you went to a crab restaurant. Usually you order the crab, and they cook it and serve it with a lot of sides. After eating they make fried rice with some of it. Although it isn't upscale, but is expensive, Garak Market does seafood. You go downstairs and shop around and choose what you want. They then give you number that you then take up to a restaurant upstairs (of your choice). That restaurant goes and gets your order and prepares it for you (of course charging you to do so). That's all I have. Aside from those, you could go the route of the Michelin restaurants. I am sure they would love to serve you up some tiny expensive bites  :laugh:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4574 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »

I think the closest you're gonna get is the "royal court cuisine" (궁중 한정식) but I don't feel that it's really worth going out of your way for, as it's mostly stuff you'd find in your school cafeteria anyway, and on top of that it can be pretty expensive. 

I like Korean food just fine, and it certainly has its charm, but IMO the words "korean food" and "fancy" shouldn't appear in the same sentence unless they're separated by a "is not".

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:15:15 PM by DMZabductee »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4575 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »

I think the closest you're gonna get is the "royal court cuisine" (궁중 한정식) but I don't feel that it's really worth going out of your way for, as it's mostly stuff you'd find in your school cafeteria anyway, and on top of that it can be pretty expensive. 

I like Korean food just fine, and it certainly has it's charm, but IMO the words "korean food" and "fancy" shouldn't appear in the same sentence unless they're separated by a "is not".

I've not eaten there, but "The Lounge" at the Park Hyatt is supposed to be high-class Korean food.

Apparently they have a very seasonal menu, with a focus on quality ingredients.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
  • 인생 뭐있냐?
« Reply #4576 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »

I've not eaten there, but "The Lounge" at the Park Hyatt is supposed to be high-class Korean food.

Apparently they have a very seasonal menu, with a focus on quality ingredients.

Just checked out the menu, hanwoo tartar, mandu and steak all sound good, but it's 90k per head, and if you get the wine pairing tack on another 30k. Looks better than the 한정식, though.

http://www.seoul.park.hyattrestaurants.com/lounge/menu-en.html

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4577 on: November 14, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »

If you want 'traditional' 'fancy' Korean food, like waygook.org user DMZabductee said, the big fancy spread is going to be the closest you'll get, but I also find that a lot of time the actual food isn't that great, and it's more about the presentation and many bowls and of course the decoration of the restaurant. That said, I've never been impressed. There are good ones out there, but they're not common.

There are a lot of high-end restaurants that specialize in Korean food or Korean-inspired food using high end ingredients. The Michelin Guide (just as an example, I'm not saying that's the definition of fancy) has several.

But yes - traditionally, Korean food isn't 'fancy' and doesn't have the fancy history of presentation that French or Italian foods have.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4578 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
The Arsene Wenger look seems to be a big hit this winter.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4579 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
수능 tomorrow! That means I am getting off early today and heading out of town for the night. I shall be back in the afternoon tomorrow. All the while, I will not be thinking of work.