February 25, 2018, 07:54:46 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 518691 times)

Offline sevenpm

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4420 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
What constitutes as "fancy" Korean food?

Whenever I've been out to nice/expensive places here, it's always non-Korean food. Expensive Japanese style sushi, or steak, Italian, French etc.

Has anyone had expensive/fancy Korean food? I asked some Korean people and they said when they want to go out to some nice upscale restaurant, it's usually western food. Aside from the controversial hanwoo meat (which is just expensive)  what else is there?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4421 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »

Whenever I've been out to nice/expensive places here, it's always non-Korean food. Expensive Japanese style sushi, or steak, Italian, French etc.

Has anyone had expensive/fancy Korean food? I asked some Korean people and they said when they want to go out to some nice upscale restaurant, it's usually western food. Aside from the controversial hanwoo meat (which is just expensive)  what else is there?

Although not really expensive, but kind of, there is that one Korean buffet. I can't remember the name of it, but it is supposed to be a Korean food buffet. I went once, and it was fine, but not impressive in the least. Other than that, the only other thing that I think is actually pretty pricey, is if you went to a crab restaurant. Usually you order the crab, and they cook it and serve it with a lot of sides. After eating they make fried rice with some of it. Although it isn't upscale, but is expensive, Garak Market does seafood. You go downstairs and shop around and choose what you want. They then give you number that you then take up to a restaurant upstairs (of your choice). That restaurant goes and gets your order and prepares it for you (of course charging you to do so). That's all I have. Aside from those, you could go the route of the Michelin restaurants. I am sure they would love to serve you up some tiny expensive bites  :laugh:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4422 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »

I think the closest you're gonna get is the "royal court cuisine" (궁중 한정식) but I don't feel that it's really worth going out of your way for, as it's mostly stuff you'd find in your school cafeteria anyway, and on top of that it can be pretty expensive. 

I like Korean food just fine, and it certainly has its charm, but IMO the words "korean food" and "fancy" shouldn't appear in the same sentence unless they're separated by a "is not".

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:15:15 PM by DMZabductee »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4423 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »

I think the closest you're gonna get is the "royal court cuisine" (궁중 한정식) but I don't feel that it's really worth going out of your way for, as it's mostly stuff you'd find in your school cafeteria anyway, and on top of that it can be pretty expensive. 

I like Korean food just fine, and it certainly has it's charm, but IMO the words "korean food" and "fancy" shouldn't appear in the same sentence unless they're separated by a "is not".

I've not eaten there, but "The Lounge" at the Park Hyatt is supposed to be high-class Korean food.

Apparently they have a very seasonal menu, with a focus on quality ingredients.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4424 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »

I've not eaten there, but "The Lounge" at the Park Hyatt is supposed to be high-class Korean food.

Apparently they have a very seasonal menu, with a focus on quality ingredients.

Just checked out the menu, hanwoo tartar, mandu and steak all sound good, but it's 90k per head, and if you get the wine pairing tack on another 30k. Looks better than the 한정식, though.

http://www.seoul.park.hyattrestaurants.com/lounge/menu-en.html

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4425 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
The Arsene Wenger look seems to be a big hit this winter.
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4426 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
수능 tomorrow! That means I am getting off early today and heading out of town for the night. I shall be back in the afternoon tomorrow. All the while, I will not be thinking of work.

Online denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4427 on: November 15, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
For the past few weeks, I've noticed a decrease in the quality of my main school's lunches.  I wonder if budget cuts impact school lunch.......

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4428 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:17 PM »
For the past few weeks, I've noticed a decrease in the quality of my main school's lunches.  I wonder if budget cuts impact school lunch.......

There's always a week or two during the middle of a semester that I notice the lunches get cheaper and more carb-y. I feel like most schools plan their lunches to be good at the start so nobody complains, and then save some money in the middle, and then blow the remaining budget at the end.

I don't eat the lunches anymore, but my schools always seemed to have a rapid decline in quality as we approached the the last month of the year, not sure if it is budget related or whether they are just trying and clear everything out of the kitchens before vacation....
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4429 on: November 15, 2017, 12:46:09 PM »
What?Waht?Message me buddy. I tried to send you one but it says you've blocked me. lol
What makes salads so funny that people are always laughing and smiling when they are eating them?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4430 on: November 15, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
EARTHQUAKEEEEEEE

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4431 on: November 15, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
EARTHQUAKEEEEEEE

Or did you eat more of those chilli cutlets?  Huh?  Is it just the feeling of your stomach collapsing?  Thought so.....

:P

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4432 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:26 AM »
Holy hell. hahahahaha Teacher types christmas into youtube. It's signed into my account because I have a "Songs for School" playlist. I had already searched "christmas turkey peep show" so it came up as a default. She clicks on it. Video starts to play.

>:( YOU WHAT? NO TUR-

:police: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO *closes window"

:-* Where are the carols?

Jesus Christ, that was close.

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4433 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
Holy hell. hahahahaha Teacher types christmas into youtube. It's signed into my account because I have a "Songs for School" playlist. I had already searched "christmas turkey peep show" so it came up as a default. She clicks on it. Video starts to play.

>:( YOU WHAT? NO TUR-

:police: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO *closes window"

:-* Where are the carols?

Classic vid though.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4434 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »

haha good catch. Peep Show rules.

I've been super lazy about signing out of my accounts on Chrome at school recently and sometimes I get paranoid that someone is gonna log into my facebook, reddit, etc when I'm not around. That wouldn't be too bad, I guess...

... just please don't look through my history  :sad: :sad:

Offline Heidi91

• Explorer
« Reply #4435 on: November 16, 2017, 11:43:47 PM »

To be fair thats what he deserved for buying a real Turkey. I've been vegan for two years and I can't imagine killing those beautiful creatures.

Offline johnny2shoes

• Waygookin
« Reply #4436 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:41 AM »

To be fair thats what he deserved for buying a real Turkey. I've been vegan for two years and I can't imagine killing those beautiful creatures.

Beautiful creatures?! Come on, nice try. The only things turkeys have goin for them is that they are delicious.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:17:43 AM by johnny2shoes »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #4437 on: November 17, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
My Korean friend took me out last night and it all went a bit pear.

He said I could sleep at his place (Sillim), which is great (I live near Anyang). I needed to make a skype call to my buddy back in Canada last night so I went outside and did it. I don't remember much but I remember not having my phone and going up some stairs with some young dudes and we got to their door and I started thinking, "nah, no, this ain't right." So I jetted downstairs and they followed me, not aggressively, but just coming back down after me. There were some cops outside, so I told them that I lost my phone and they phoned it. The guys pocket starts ringing. He has my phone. The cops tell him to give it back, he does. They leave. I don't even know where I am, all I know is that I'm in Sillim. I've been there 5 times but I sure as hell don't know the back streets. Fukking scary, man, no joke. I got home at 7AM. I could have slept at 1AM, but I went out for a skype call and this shit went down at........... 430? What a mess. Still have a lot to improve on with my behaviour and priorities.

I don't know what would have happened had I went with those guys. Maybe nothing. But they did have my phone and didn't tell me.

Couldn't help but think of how easy it is to get lost and taken advantage of when we've all had a few. Be careful out there.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4438 on: November 17, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »

He said I could sleep at his place (Sillim), which is great (I live near Anyang). I needed to make a skype call to my buddy back in Canada last night so I went outside and did it. I don't remember much but I remember not having my phone and going up some stairs with some young dudes and we got to their door and I started thinking, "nah, no, this ain't right." So I jetted downstairs and they followed me, not aggressively, but just coming back down after me. There were some cops outside, so I told them that I lost my phone and they phoned it. The guys pocket starts ringing. He has my phone. The cops tell him to give it back, he does. They leave. I don't even know where I am, all I know is that I'm in Sillim. I've been there 5 times but I sure as hell don't know the back streets. Fukking scary, man, no joke. I got home at 7AM. I could have slept at 1AM, but I went out for a skype call and this shit went down at........... 430? What a mess. Still have a lot to improve on with my behaviour and priorities.

I don't know what would have happened had I went with those guys. Maybe nothing. But they did have my phone and didn't tell me.

Couldn't help but think of how easy it is to get lost and taken advantage of when we've all had a few. Be careful out there.

Sounds like we were moments away from either an expat Sex tape scandal or murder. Riveting stuff. Imagine the thread on waygook though....

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4439 on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »

Sounds like we were moments away from either an expat Sex tape scandal or murder. Riveting stuff. Imagine the thread on waygook though....

AvecPommesFrites  sans cerveau