November 22, 2017, 08:56:53 PM

Author Topic: psychiatrist info please  (Read 4803 times)

Offline beckums

• Newgookin
psychiatrist info please
« on: December 02, 2011, 12:11:09 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have been prescribed medication for anxiety in the states, but I don't know how I should go about finding a psychiatrist in Korea. I don't want to have my prescriptions mailed to me, because I'm afraid they will get confiscated. I heard from a friend that she found some information about this sort of problem on this website.

Does anyone know of a good psychiatrist in the Bundang area? I would be willing to travel to Seoul if necessary.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

~Becka

TinyPanda

Re: psychiatrist info please
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:29:27 PM »
I'd like some info too!!!

Offline dmhr25

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Someone on this list may be able to help you or refer you to who you need to see.

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,15811.msg184925.html#msg184925

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
Here is a list with psychiatrists near to the bottom. Good luck.

http://harpo.ca/counsel.html
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Online DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
I have heard really good things about the international clinic (they have a psychiatrist) at the Ansan international clinic.  The counsellor I used to see reccomended them above all others when we were considering my considering meds.  That counsellor was part of a group who are probably some of the best qualified in Seoul all working for the same company.

Hope you can find the help and support you're after.   :)

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:48:05 PM »
Mike Soo-yeoung Kim at Itaewon International Clinic is excellent at what he does. He used to be at the Free Berkley Clinic a long time ago. He's also excellent at confidentiality.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:07:38 PM by Harpoinseoul »

Offline Bobby Teacher

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »
I have a great doctor for that...  I have been going to him for about 5 years.  I also take anxiety medicine..  It is easy and cheap here to get.  KOrean insurance covers it too!!  He is located in Seo Hyeon, in the same building as Outback Steak house.  He is on the third floor.  The place is called Yeon Sei Lee Mental Hospital..  But its just him...  He speaks english quiet well as well as his secretary.  I would recommend stopping by for an appointment because she is not so good at speaking english on the phone...  Anyways..  His name is Dr. Lee and the number is 031-707-5646.  If you need any more info just drop me a line... 

Offline taingray

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »
Does anyone know if any of these international clinics DON'T require a reference letter from a regular doctor in order to be covered by insurance? I made an appointment at the SNU International Clinic and they sent me a text message saying I need to get a reference letter, but I'm concerned about confidentiality. I don't want a doctor from a regular clinic calling up my school and telling them I'm going to see a psychiatrist (I know the stigma against that here).

Offline Craash

• Veteran
  • one day....
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
None of the Psychiatrists want nor need a reference letter.  (except SNU) - I wouldn't go there if I were you.

All they want is your money.

Go in there, ask them for the medicine you want - and they will give it to you.

I used to go to that doctor at the Itaewon International Clinic - he would give me anything I asked for - as long as I paid him.

then I changed over to the Asan International medical clinic (near Jamsil) - the doctors there are more professional - it was closer to my apartment - and they also give me anything I ask for.

If I ask for a medicine that is not available in Korea (dextroamphetamine, etc) - they just find a very similar medicine that does the same thing - that is available in Korea.

stuff like Xanax is easier to get from these doctors - no questions asked - than from western-countries doctors.

The other thing - to save having to go back regularly to the doctors for medicine re-fills i always ask the doctors to give me a 3-month or 5-month supply of the medicine.

They are always happy to do this - no problems.

don't worry - don't stress - just make an appointment -go in there and ask for the medicine - they will give it to you.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:38:14 PM by Craash »

Offline cracker

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »
Thanks, but I'm interested in dating, so I'm going to pursue that. But no, I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about it. And I'm 29. Is that too old to date? Seems unlikely. Most of the guys I dated in the states were 45-52 years old. Hence, I'd like to find some compatible foreign guys of that age in Korea, since Korean guys that age aren't likely to be interested.
29? and you want to date someone who is the 45-52 age bracket? 

29 too old to date? Me think you are older than 29, never start a relationship off with a lie! 

Yup, I'm 29. Someone above implied that "older" foreign women shouldn't date, and I'm not sure what "older" meant. But I'm gonna try to date regardless.
 And yes, the guys I was dating in the States were 48 and 51. I like what I like. Thanks anyway. 

Ok fair enough!

Post some pic's of yourself and you might get some PM's from some ppl on Waygook!  ;D

Offline JPJP

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
Here is the direct link to the Itaewon International Clinic online reservations. I also highly recommend them.  Dr Kim was empathetic, kind, professional, discreet, inexpensive, and quick. 

http://www.internationalclinic.co.kr/promise/PR_1.asp

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »

...then I changed over to the Asan International medical clinic (near Jamsil) - the doctors there are more professional - it was closer to my apartment - and they also give me anything I ask for.

don't worry - don't stress - just make an appointment -go in there and ask for the medicine - they will give it to you.
Which doctor did you go and see at Asan Int. Medical Clinic? Thanks!

www.harpo.ca

Offline ninohan

• Adventurer
  • http://seoul.angloinfo.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
Hi,

Here's a full list of English speaking psychiatrists in Seoul area.
https://www.angloinfo.com/seoul/directory/seoul-psychiatrists-580
Everything you want to know about living in Seoul. More than 7,000 English speaking business directory. http://seoul.angloinfo.com

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
Don't do drugs guys, that's the best advice.

Offline KoreaBoo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have been prescribed medication for anxiety in the states, but I don't know how I should go about finding a psychiatrist in Korea. I don't want to have my prescriptions mailed to me, because I'm afraid they will get confiscated. I heard from a friend that she found some information about this sort of problem on this website.

Does anyone know of a good psychiatrist in the Bundang area? I would be willing to travel to Seoul if necessary.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

~Becka

There has been more than enough written about those who have come here with psychological problems significant enough to be treated back home to know full well that Korea is NOT a supportive nor understanding environment to be in.

If you have mental problems, desperately need treatment but no health insurance coverage (but you were cut off because those problems cost you your job back home), I would suggest another option.

No one...and I mean NO ONE has ever come here with a history of mental disorder and said their experiences resulted in the success they were hoping for.

It just doesn't happen.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
"What is Mmm...I don't think so. That's how they get you" for 400.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
I'm not sure what services you need, but the Itaewon Clinic basically asks what drugs you want and sends you on your way. If you need an actual therapist, please consider Dr. Park. He's amazing, will spend as much time with you as you need, and also will basically prescribe whatever you ask for.

http://www.psychotherapy.co.kr/clinic/clinic_01.asp

+1 Dr Park is really great.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline kongkong

• Newgookin
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 11:05:32 PM »
SimOn Psychiatry Clinic in Apgujeong Station Line #3.

They accept Korean insurance and do not require any reference letters. Dr. Shin is fluent in English. You can call the clinic or email him directly to make an appointment. Here is their website.

http://blog.naver.com/medics96/220931990005