November 18, 2017, 08:13:26 PM

Author Topic: Anyone Flying to LAX soon?  (Read 311 times)

Offline ztuck

• Waygookin
Anyone Flying to LAX soon?
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »
Gwangju (Jeollanamdo) Animal Shelter has a dog currently being fostered that has been adopted by someone in Los Angeles! We are looking for someone to act as "courier" to LAX airport. We will cover all expenses associated with this of course, and are just in need of a body. Please reply to this thread or contact me with any questions if you or someone you know is flying to (or through) anytime between now and Christmas. The dog is 4 kg (9 lbs) and would be making this journey in her mesh carrier on the ground by your seat and your lap during takeoff  :smiley:

Offline cracker

• Veteran
Re: Anyone Flying to LAX soon?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:56:42 AM »
Gwangju (Jeollanamdo) Animal Shelter has a dog currently being fostered that has been adopted by someone in Los Angeles! We are looking for someone to act as "courier" to LAX airport. We will cover all expenses associated with this of course, and are just in need of a body. Please reply to this thread or contact me with any questions if you or someone you know is flying to (or through) anytime between now and Christmas. The dog is 4 kg (9 lbs) and would be making this journey in her mesh carrier on the ground by your seat and your lap during takeoff  :smiley:

Hopefully it hasn't swallowed any suspicious packages..... 'I was just carrying the dog for a friend'  :huh:

Offline ztuck

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:38:41 PM »
Update: She will be flying under the plane, so at this point we would just need a person/name to attach her to for the flight.

Offline ajcadoo

• Newgookin
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:35:54 PM »
I will be July 31st 2018. Haha

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:55:21 PM »
There has been a spike in sock trolls registering here recently, so I am not sure if this is a legitimate request or some sort of failed attempt at animal cruelty humor?

Ztuck would you like to fly "under the plane"?

If this was an honest "misspeak" and you are looking to fly her as checked cargo, she will be IN the aircraft in a pressurized and climate controlled environment.

I have been a courier before and a mesh carrier will NOT be accepted by any airline for an animal that is to be checked as cargo.  You have to have an IATA approved carrier with a rigid frame (again, mesh is NOT permitted).  The normal fee is 200,000 KRW, and you will need more than simply a name of the person boarding the flight.

On certain airlines, if the volunteer is checking one piece less of baggage per the passenger's allowance, the IATA carrier can be counted toward the baggage allowance and the fee can be waived.

If this request IS legitimate, and you haven't found anyone by December, I will be flying to the west coast in January.

In the meantime, I would suggest for you to contact the airlines and the "Animal and Plant Quarantine" agency to become better informed about the process.

The passenger will have to present the necessary veterinary papers, sign paperwork, and deliver the animal in IATA approved crate to the over-sized baggage area at ICN.  Upon arrival, the passenger will need to retrieve the over-sized cargo in a separate area...it is NOT simply attaching someone's name, as the OP stated.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:08:50 AM by Pecan »