November 22, 2017, 08:53:11 PM

Author Topic: Fired from hagwon / reference  (Read 574 times)

Offline redkaramel

• Newgookin
Fired from hagwon / reference
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
Hello,

I was fired from my hagwon.

I would like to find another job in Korea.

However, the places I have reached out want to call my old school for a reference.

How can I tell them that this is not possible?

Thank you.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Fired from hagwon / reference
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »
Try Hands Korea.  You can find them on Facebook.  They work with people who have been through far worst situations and have land them in jobs.  They are not miracle workers but if you are up front and honest with them they can try to place you in a job that will understand that some hakwons are garbage and will talk sh*t about you over the littlest things.  "Oh RedKaramel was a boring teacher and she forgot to send books home so they need to be hanged."  Seriously many hakwons are so petty here.  But a good one will simply give you a reference and not add more to dirty your name.  But all the luck to you because I know how hard it can be.  Believe me there is a hellwon director out there who hates me and probably wants me dead....only because I didn't complete books on time and didn't teach a creative writing book with more flair.  OOOOH THE CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:   Thankfully though I don't use them as a reference and I have many years of experiences at other places that will be happy to sing my praises. 

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 03:30:04 PM »
Hello,

However, the places I have reached out want to call my old school for a reference.

Thank you.

get a korean friend to call posing as a new school looking for a reference. get them to record the call. find out what the old hagwon says about you.

if it is bad, go in there to your old school and play the recording for them. tell them that interfering with employment is a violation of the Labor Standards Act. tell them that defamation is a criminal offence.

Tell them that if they say one more bad thing about you to anyone, including new schools that phone, that you will have no hesitation in opening a formal case with the Ministry of Employment and Labor for interfering with your employment, as well as both criminal and civil cases against them for defamation.

watch as they get on their knees and plead.

Offline Grimne_Lothos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:35:31 PM »
obviously if you don't want to use them as a reference the you can't list them on your work history.

Even if your old employer isn't actively badmouthing you, they can and should say that you worked there less than a year and they have nothing else to say about you.  the employer will know that you were fired or left on bad terms.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:00:41 AM »
Hello,

Thank you.

get a korean friend to call posing as a new school looking for a reference. get them to record the call. find out what the old hagwon says about you.

if it is bad, go in there to your old school and play the recording for them. tell them that interfering with employment is a violation of the Labor Standards Act. tell them that defamation is a criminal offence.

Tell them that if they say one more bad thing about you to anyone, including new schools that phone, that you will have no hesitation in opening a formal case with the Ministry of Employment and Labor for interfering with your employment, as well as both criminal and civil cases against them for defamation.

Isn't there also a law about recording without their consent.  However I will agree with you, unless it was something terribly horrendous like hitting a kid or touching a kid, I do hear that it is illegal for jobs to prevent you from getting another job.  What they are suppose to do is say how long your worked there and a simple explanation as to why you don't work there anymore.  However, I have heard that some Korean employers don't care about the defamation law and will bad mouth you anyways.  OP is this your first job ever in Korea.  If it is it will be really hard for you to get another job, however, you can finesse the situation with telling the new jobs that it wasn't a good fit for you and you want to be somewhere where the job cares about the children's education.  But if this is your first job I would suggest going home and coming back brand new.  Immigration will see that you've been here before but not that new job.  And by the time they have you under contract it will be too late for them to back out if they are suspect of you being here before.  By the way OP, what were you fired for? 

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »
Hello,

Thank you.

Isn't there also a law about recording without their consent.  However I will agree with you, unless it was something terribly horrendous like hitting a kid or touching a kid, I do hear that it is illegal for jobs to prevent you from getting another job.  What they are suppose to do is say how long your worked there and a simple explanation as to why you don't work there anymore.  However, I have heard that some Korean employers don't care about the defamation law and will bad mouth you anyways.  OP is this your first job ever in Korea.  If it is it will be really hard for you to get another job, however, you can finesse the situation with telling the new jobs that it wasn't a good fit for you and you want to be somewhere where the job cares about the children's education.  But if this is your first job I would suggest going home and coming back brand new.  Immigration will see that you've been here before but not that new job.  And by the time they have you under contract it will be too late for them to back out if they are suspect of you being here before.  By the way OP, what were you fired for?
I can speak to the recording law. You can legally record as long as one of two parties involved consents, so the OP would be the one to consent. If there were three then the other person would have to consent.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline internationalteacher

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »
I wouldn't do what Kobayashi says as it's too long winded and they won't be bothered what you threaten them with. Nah, the best way is to just get a korean friend to give you a reference, a good reference, from ABC hakwon :laugh:

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »
Don't tell prospective employers that you got fired from a previous hagwon... Of course they are going to want to call. Because you didn't say why you were fired, it's difficult to advise as to how to proceed. If you're working with recruiters and they are asking, make up a story that makes you seem in the right. If you're speaking with schools directly, you can't mention it at all as none of those new directors will be on your side/will want to deal with a potential future issue.

Offline Bulldogs12

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »
Years ago I did a midnight run from my first hagwon in Korea after 6-7 months (the owner was a crook and it was a horrible school,I was also ripped off and not given health coverage). To get work in Korea again (I had two good years after that in Korea before going to China) I just said that I had a family tragedy (whereas when I told the truth in other interviews I never got a job offer, I did have a sick family member who I wasn’t that close with). If you’ve been out of Korea a while maybe you could try this excuse. If you’re still in Korea like Piggydee said try a Facebook job group. Best of luck (otherwise maybe try China or Vietnam perhaps where there are more jobs)!