November 18, 2017, 08:10:00 PM

Author Topic: Korean man-children  (Read 5489 times)

Online Pecan

• The Legend
Re: Korean man-children
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2017, 01:20:36 PM »
Saemaul Undong brought a lot of people into the light, but some of the practices that were common before then remain.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
Gotta love Pecan's imagination. What a beautiful mind.
No idea to what you are referring.

Do you know how many boys sleep with their moms?
How often they bathe together and wash each other?

Perhaps I'm too conservative, but that practice ended when I was 4~5, not when I was in middle school.

You just make up random stuff like mom's wanking off their adolescent sons like it's commonplace in society. It's takes a special kind of mind to make stuff like that up and write it down on a public forum. Fair play.
beans and muff

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »
I'm just grateful that most of the "old guard in Korea" are dying off, as they used to pull down the pants of toddlers to inspect their genitals.

Don't ask my why the practice ever started, nor why it lasted as long as it did.

Confucianism, if those before you did it, then it IS GOSPEL!

What if I make a halfie baby here? Will the Korean elder counsel wish to inspect his/her genitalia as well, or does it only count for pure blooded Koreans?  :undecided:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »

Perhaps I'm too conservative, but that practice ended when I was 4~5, not when I was in middle school.

You just make up random stuff like mom's wanking off their adolescent sons like it's commonplace in society. It's takes a special kind of mind to make stuff like that up and write it down on a public forum. Fair play.
I never stated that it IS "commonplace in Korean society" or that it was ever widespread.

Why do you wish to misrepresent and create your own narrative?

I said, "There are some really goofy and taboo practices here."

In the 5 years that taught Korean English teachers, I heard all kinds of stories, not to mention the things that I have simply witnessed in my 20+ years of living here.

What is your deal APF?

Offline mrbarryobama

• Adventurer
  • 미국원어민
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
I for one have always fantasized about spitting on a shittily parked car. Glad to see some folks still out there with the gumption to chase their dreams

Offline waygookinhanguk

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
I'm not a racist person (I have a Korean gf)

You know Thomas Jefferson fathered 6 children with his slave, Sally Hemings.  Just because you stick your penis in a POC doesn't absolve you of racist behavior if you participate in it.   

I have or have had XYZ type of girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands is the new "I have a black friend." 

I really couldn't read beyond that point. 

But welcome to Korea.  Where there is never a day without feeling a microaggression.  Try to check Kayak.com for great deals on flights out of Korea.   :wink:

You know Thomas Jefferson fathered 6 children with his slave, Sally Hemings.  Just because you stick your penis in a POC doesn't absolve you of racist behavior if you participate in it.   

I have or have had XYZ type of girlfriends/boyfriends/wives/husbands is the new "I have a black friend." 

But welcome to Korea.  Where there is never a day without feeling a microaggression.  Try to check Kayak.com for great deals on flights out of Korea.   :wink:

As you so often do, what you wrote is just a way of slurring people you disagre with because you are too lazy to produce a counter argument. This smug sarcastic slur I too often see, read or hear is just a veiled attempt at censorship and derails constructive discussion. Person A disagrees with Person B, makes a libellous slur. Person B says "not true," Person A says "oh yes it is," Person B "oh no it isn't," and the debate regresses into a really crappy pantomime.

You can't prove it any more than sfusiondj can disprove it. It has zero relevance without evidence.

Offline Piggydee

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2017, 03:30:23 PM »

As you so often do, what you wrote is just a way of slurring people you disagre with because you are too lazy to produce a counter argument. This smug sarcastic slur I too often see, read or hear is just a veiled attempt at censorship and derails constructive discussion. Person A disagrees with Person B, makes a libellous slur. Person B says "not true," Person A says "oh yes it is," Person B "oh no it isn't," and the debate regresses into a really crappy pantomime.

You can't prove it any more than sfusiondj can disprove it. It has zero relevance without evidence.

It's just people stating opinions.  Sure I can say A people are ugly and gross.  I can say that. Even though it's racist.  I'm entitled to say it but that doesn't make it right.  What I shouldn't do but often happens is "I can say A people are gross because I once had sex with, married, dated, adopted, know someone who knows someone who is A people."  I don't understand how saying the later excuses me from saying bigoted things.  But okay you don't like what I say then that's fine.  Join the rest of the "No offense, I have a XYZ friend" bus.  You don't have to like what I said and I don't have to tolerate things I don't like either.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:50:20 PM by Piggydee »

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Veteran
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2017, 03:59:41 PM »

I never stated that it IS "commonplace in Korean society" or that it was ever widespread.

Why do you wish to misrepresent and create your own narrative?

I said, "There are some really goofy and taboo practices here."

In the 5 years that taught Korean English teachers, I heard all kinds of stories, not to mention the things that I have simply witnessed in my 20+ years of living here.

What is your deal APF?

My deal is that I don't stand by idly when people like yourself slander a hole population of people with imaginary stories to get attention on the internet. Sorry if that bothers your archaic mind.
beans and muff

Online gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »
You're jumping to conclusions which are neither subconscious nor sincere in any meaningful way other than where they fall on your spectrum of likes and dislikes.
Of course this stuff can be subconscious. Most of what's involved in human interactions isn't on a conscious level. Lots of interesting psychology on this.
And likes/dislikes is exactly what respect is based on. When somebody does something you like, then you're more likely to respect them. Personal ethics are tightly interwoven with personal behavioural preferences.

When we're talking about whether or not we respect folk we barely know we're not talking about how we feel about them due to their heroism in Afghanistan/donations to Greenpeace/that time back in '92 when they pulled a pregnant lady out of a burning building.
My point was that you form opinions about people based on the information you have on them, which is often very very little.

- seeing somebody stop to pat a dog
Personal nitpicky rant here on this-

1) I've seen plenty of awful people fawn over dogs.
2) For effs sake, you don't have to stop and pet and deal with every damn dog you come across on the street. It's about as sensical as stopping and talking to every person.

It's one thing to like animals and be kind to them, it's another to start elevating them above people and treating them as objects of adoration and projecting naive qualities upon them.

Respect is a strange thing. It can be given instantly yet also takes a long time to earn. It involves loyalty but it also reflects how you treat strangers. Sometimes it's obvious and other times it takes a long time to become apparent.

Respect also depends on what each person values and what their particular experiences are with the person in question and the circumstances involved.

It's important to differentiate between first impressions and respect.

Nice rant!
Some good points (in that I agree with 'em  :smiley:). First impressions can certainly influence how likely you are to give them your respect regardless of whether or not they deserve it. The more tenuous the relationship, the more important that first impression is.

Would you do that to the children of a stranger?
Well, obviously I would ask for consent first.  :wink:
Likes and dislikes are personal preferences; respect is universal. The same for true ethics.

Your perspective is limited, maybe due to the "interesting" psychology.

Online gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
I'm just grateful that most of the "old guard in Korea" are dying off, as they used to pull down the pants of toddlers to inspect their genitals.

Don't ask my why the practice ever started, nor why it lasted as long as it did.
I thought this was to show off that it was a boy since boys were so heavily preferred.

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2017, 04:13:21 PM »

It's just people stating opinions.  Sure I can say A people are ugly and gross.  I can say that. Even though it's racist.  I'm entitled to say it but that doesn't make it right.  What I shouldn't do but often happens is "I can say A people are gross because I once had sex with, married, dated, adopted, know someone who knows someone who is A people."  I don't understand how saying the later excuses me from saying bigoted things.  But okay you don't like what I say then that's fine.  Join the rest of the "No offense, I have a XYZ friend" bus.  You don't have to like what I said and I don't have to tolerate things I don't like either.   :smiley:

I'd be careful not to conflate racism with general critique which is serving as a means to try and understand the culture.

I have Koreans friends in America. They vocalize their complaints about white people (and even other races!) both to me and to each other. They also vocalize complaints about Koreans.

I vocalize my complaints about my own culture to them as well. I also bring up things I've experienced in Korea and complain about it and they listen.

My Korean girlfriend and I make racial jokes and discuss differences (both good and bad) between our cultures all the time.

No culture or country is free from being critiqued -- and doing so doesn't  make you racist. Yes, I agree some people on this site go overboard on critiquing Koreans, but the point of OPs question here is a desire for understanding.

Offline waygookinhanguk

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2017, 05:14:09 PM »

Saying "I have a friend/girlfriend/boyfriend/coworker" etc doesn't excuse somebody from saying bigoted things. No free pass there. Just like I'm not giving you a free pass for turning that statement back onto the authors as an indicator of racism without any evidence.

The definition of bigot is somebody who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to their own opinions OR prejudices. Maybe you shouldn't throw around the term so loosely.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
My deal is that I don't stand by idly when people like yourself slander a hole population of people with imaginary stories to get attention on the internet. Sorry if that bothers your archaic mind.
Again, you are the one who is blowing this up and applying it to the entire population.  I never said anything of the sort.  More importantly, it is NOT slander.

Why are you calling Koreans "a-hole population"...that is far more offensive than anything I stated?

Are you new to Korea or what?

There are a lot of families that don't have separate bedrooms for each member of their family.  Sometimes the husband will sleep alone in one room, and the mother will share another room with her children.

Just because you aren't familiar with what some people do here, doesn't make it untrue.

The Saemaul Undong happened for a reason.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:54 AM »
Likes and dislikes are personal preferences; respect is universal. The same for true ethics.

The basis for respect is universal?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: No. Absolutely not. It's heavily influenced by culture. Ditto with ethics (hence the field of ethical relativism)

My perspective is limited because I'm discussing a limited perspective -- people one sees out on the street whom one has never met before ('cause that was the topic at hand). I agree that the kind of respect one builds up after a lengthy period of time is based on things a bit more significant than what one is wearing. I mean c'mon. Obviously.

Online gogators!

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »

The basis for respect is universal?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: No. Absolutely not. It's heavily influenced by culture. Ditto with ethics (hence the field of ethical relativism)

My perspective is limited because I'm discussing a limited perspective -- people one sees out on the street whom one has never met before ('cause that was the topic at hand). I agree that the kind of respect one builds up after a lengthy period of time is based on things a bit more significant than what one is wearing. I mean c'mon. Obviously.
If you're judging people by the clothes they're wearing, your opinion, wiki link notwithstanding, is at best immature. "I mean c'mon."

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »

Lemme guess, you believe everyone in Colombia bangs donkeys because of some documentary.

Do you also think some African tribe spends their time naked and dancing for National Geographic in a straw hut? You do realize that 20 feet from the straw hut and naked dancing, the rest of the tribe is in an A/C building that is pumping in the Liverpool-Man Utd. on satellite TV while divying up the photo shoot money, right?

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »
Again, you are the one who is blowing this up and applying it to the entire population.  I never said anything of the sort.  More importantly, it is NOT slander.

Why are you calling Koreans "a-hole population"...that is far more offensive than anything I stated?

Are you new to Korea or what?

There are a lot of families that don't have separate bedrooms for each member of their family.  Sometimes the husband will sleep alone in one room, and the mother will share another room with her children.

Just because you aren't familiar with what some people do here, doesn't make it untrue.

The Saemaul Undong happened for a reason.

Pretty sure he meant a WHOLE population.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
If you're judging people by the clothes they're wearing, your opinion, wiki link notwithstanding, is at best immature. "I mean c'mon."
I'm glad we agree.  :smiley:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »

Lemme guess, you believe everyone in Colombia bangs donkeys because of some documentary.

Do you also think some African tribe spends their time naked and dancing for National Geographic in a straw hut? You do realize that 20 feet from the straw hut and naked dancing, the rest of the tribe is in an A/C building that is pumping in the Liverpool-Man Utd. on satellite TV while divying up the photo shoot money, right?
Not sure where you have lived in Korea, but I don't see it happening these days, so I can understand your reluctance to take my word for it.

It was common practice when I first arrived here.  You could easily witness it, especially on the subway or train.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:35 AM »
The touching of a male child's genitals thing comes from males being seen as a huge blessing and their privates are the sign that they are truly male. Relatives would do it and yes, as Pecan said, older people would do it in public even to kids they didnt know. Just pull down the boys pants and give it a flick or look at it. Almost like a good luck charm. When my son was born I said to my wife that if I saw someone even thinking about doing it I would kick them in the head. She said she agrees, but she couldn't promise me her Mother wouldn't do it, but she would tell her absolutely not to. She hasn't.

The jacking off by mothers thing...I'm not sure you could call it widespread, but previous generations thought that if a boy of a certain age was wound up, particularly naughty, whatever, that yes mother would offer relief to calm him down. I read that this is also common in some Arab cultures, especially Saudi Arabia.

What Pecan says is true, but it is much, much less common nowadys, to the point that you could say it's stopped completely.