November 18, 2017, 08:13:20 PM

Author Topic: Document notarization  (Read 169 times)

Offline SarahLongbottom

• Newgookin
Document notarization
« on: November 09, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »
Hi. I'm wondering how other Brits got their documents notarized? I'm receiving varied information, and prices. Any advice welcome.

Offline internationalteacher

• Veteran
Re: Document notarization
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 05:49:59 AM »
30 per document from a notary public in Birmingham face to face. 125 from abroad including arranging an apostille afterwards. You take your original document to the notary, he takes a copy of it and signs and stamps the copy of the original with " I certify this is a true copy of the original document".

the disclosure scotland check can be notarised for free by sending it back to corporate governance once you receive te original disclosure from them. They then notarise it for free and send it you back.

Offline Mike-ET

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »
I had a solicitor do what internationalteacher described and then sent the documents (which had been signed by the solicitor) to be apostilled. Having a solicitor certify the copies only cost 5GBP, so I'd recommend going in to your local solicitor's rather than an official notary.

Offline Mike-ET

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »
I'll give you a run down of what I did (for fall intake this year)

1. Go to a solicitor with the documents and have him certify them as true copies (in the case of the degree) or originals (CRB). The solicitor was reluctant to certify the CRB as an original as this is a strange thing to do, but I had to insist. If you order a copy of your birth cetificate online as I did you will not need to have this certified by a solicitor (if a copy of your original, then you will).

2. Once you have these from the solicitor, go to https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised. This contains all the info on the apostille. 30 pounds per document. All pretty straightforward on the whole but time consuming.

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
Mike ET is confusing things and drawing things out about the disclosure scotland check.

As I said, you wait for your disclosure scotland check to come back in the post and then you post it back to them to Corporate Governance (phone or email for their address) and ask them to notarise it. They will notarise it for free and send it back to you in the post all signed and stamped.

You do not need to go to any solicitor or notary public with your disclosure scotland. Just sit back, relax and wait for them to do it for free and send it back in the post.

Offline Mike-ET

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
internationalteacher is correct, you can do that. However as you will need to go to the solicitor with the other documents anyway taking the disclosure will save you time. They may also charge an extra 5 pounds for this although mine only charged 5 for all docs.

Good luck

Offline solveit

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:17:19 PM »
The price of notarization can vary from place to place. I got 8 documents notarized together for 20, I know people who have paid that per document. Any notary public can do it, your best bet is to google notaries in your area and call to find out their prices.

Once they're notarised and you're getting them apostilled, make sure you only go through the www.gov.uk website. It's 30 per document plus postage. There are loads of other websites offering to do them for you but their prices are insane.

All of this is assuming you're in the UK. I have no idea of the costs or process if you're out of the country.

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 11:42:03 PM »
no notary public will notarise any one document for 5 and no way would a notary public do 8 documents for 20.
A solicitor might though but a solicitor only certifies a document for a fiver. He doesn't notarise it. A notary public is a business at the end of the day and that's why they all cost a minimum of about 30 per document although many notaries charge 80-150 PER document believe it or not...again it's cos they are a greedy business and know you need the stamp.

If a certified document is good enough for a fiver to get a visa then all well and good then but there is a difference between a certified document and a notarised one.