June 20, 2018, 12:14:09 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 996475 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #820 on: September 07, 2016, 01:30:33 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals? I'm tired of having to explain that a dinner roll is an addition to a meal sometimes or bread goes on sandwiches. The closest thing I can think of eating bread for a meal would be a muffin or bagel for breakfast, and even then I would consider that an incomplete meal and probably just for someone on the go. Where do they get this sh*t seriously. I've even used pictures before of a meal with a dinner roll on the side to show people what I mean. They don't listen. They still ask me "what do you eat at home? bread?"

?!?!

Like they only eat rice, right?

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #821 on: September 07, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
Found out some people have 7 days vacation for Chuseok. I'm here stuck with only 5 days... :cry:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #822 on: September 07, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »
Found out some people have 7 days vacation for Chuseok. I'm here stuck with only 5 days... :cry:

I mean. The majority of us are in the 5 day boat, though.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #823 on: September 07, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »

So? Just because the majority of us have 5 days doesn't mean they can't be annoyed about the disparity. I wish I had a week too. :laugh:

My rant: Open class. It's absolutely ridiculous and I don't understand why we're doing it. I know other people have said that their principle just looks in and goes on their way, but at my school all of the other teachers and principle and vice principle will be sitting in there for the entire class, and for an hour afterwards we'll have a discussion about how the class went.

I'm not too nervous for it, just irritated because the entire open class is a lie. My coteacher says we're not supposed to use the textbooks and we can only do fun activities. What is the point? That's not how a normal class is done. It doesn't make any sense at all.

It's still 3 weeks away but my co has been continuously freaking out about it and she is annoying me even more than the pointlessness of it all. All she does is whine that she doesn't have any ideas and stress about the VP and P being there. I'm too busy planning my other classes (I teach twice as many as she does) to care about it right now.

I never think about school on the weekends, but this Saturday I'm just going to plan the whole thing and present it to her on Monday and hopefully that will be that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #824 on: September 07, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »

So? Just because the majority of us have 5 days doesn't mean they can't be annoyed about the disparity. I wish I had a week too. :laugh:

My rant: Open class. It's absolutely ridiculous and I don't understand why we're doing it. I know other people have said that their principle just looks in and goes on their way, but at my school all of the other teachers and principle and vice principle will be sitting in there for the entire class, and for an hour afterwards we'll have a discussion about how the class went.

I'm not too nervous for it, just irritated because the entire open class is a lie. My coteacher says we're not supposed to use the textbooks and we can only do fun activities. What is the point? That's not how a normal class is done. It doesn't make any sense at all.

It's still 3 weeks away but my co has been continuously freaking out about it and she is annoying me even more than the pointlessness of it all. All she does is whine that she doesn't have any ideas and stress about the VP and P being there. I'm too busy planning my other classes (I teach twice as many as she does) to care about it right now.

I never think about school on the weekends, but this Saturday I'm just going to plan the whole thing and present it to her on Monday and hopefully that will be that.                                                                                                                             
Sorry, I'm not a big emoticon user. I'm bummed about it too.

For the open class lesson I reccommend one of the storybook lessons you can find here on Waygook. My kids really liked The Hungry Caterpillar story and activity, but I dunno how old your kids are.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #825 on: September 07, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »
Why do people here think westerners sit around eating bread as meals?

You probably already know or don't want an answer, but rice in Asia is a ten thousand year old staple that is still eaten with nearly every meal and Asians typically imagine that the rest of the world is the same. Over the millennia, while the west diversified from a grain based diet, Asia stuck with the rice. Arguably because rice is healthier than either wheat or corn which were once upon a time just as important in Europe and the Americas as rice is here. If only Korea had exercised a little more expansionism or colonialism; maybe they'd have a little more variety in their diet.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #826 on: September 07, 2016, 02:29:32 PM »

You probably already know or don't want an answer, but rice in Asia is a ten thousand year old staple that is still eaten with nearly every meal and Asians typically imagine that the rest of the world is the same. Over the millennia, while the west diversified from a grain based diet, Asia stuck with the rice. Arguably because rice is healthier than either wheat or corn which were once upon a time just as important in Europe and the Americas as rice is here. If only Korea had exercised a little more expansionism or colonialism; maybe they'd have a little more variety in their diet.

That's a really well-researched textbook answer. But have you ever eaten in a Korean household before? While rice is considered a healthy staple here in comparison to flour, I don't think many Korean people eat like this anymore. I find there is actually a great variety within the Korean diet, and rice is treated as a side-dish, not a meal (with the exception of low-income areas). If I ask my coteacher what she eats at home, she's not just gonna say "rice". So it's understandably strange if someone assumes all Western people just eat bread all day.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #827 on: September 07, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »

That's a really well-researched textbook answer. But have you ever eaten in a Korean household before? While rice is considered a healthy staple here in comparison to flour, I don't think many Korean people eat like this anymore. I find there is actually a great variety within the Korean diet, and rice is treated as a side-dish, not a meal (with the exception of low-income areas). If I ask my coteacher what she eats at home, she's not just gonna say "rice". So it's understandably strange if someone assumes all Western people just eat bread all day.

I always thought they meant...sandwiches, or pastries/pies. Anything that could be purchased from a bakery.

Once I had a Japanese curry Croquette and a jam tart and my co teacher was like "Oh, you really like bread don't you.  :rolleyes:  it's used as an umbrella term.

It's still wrong, and it's annoying they lump it all under the title bread but I don't think most Koreans think we only eat dry slices of bread every night.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:38:45 PM by Jennipennypie »

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #828 on: September 07, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »
@Ajahya @sevenpm Jennipennypie covered it. "Bread" is a vague term in Korea that pretty much means anything you can get at a bakery.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #829 on: September 07, 2016, 02:46:07 PM »

I always thought they meant...sandwiches, or pastries/pies. Anything that could be purchased from a bakery.

Once I had a Japanese curry Croquette and a jam tart and my co teacher was like "Oh, you really like bread don't you.  :rolleyes:  it's used as an umbrella term.

It's still wrong, and it's annoying they lump it all under the title bread but I don't think most Koreans think we only eat dry slices of bread every night.  :laugh:

First of all, seems kind of condescending of y'all to assume we don't know it's a blanket term. But, most of those things are still not meals, they're side-dishes, snacks, or desserts... and most of us wouldn't eat these for multiple meals a day. I'm open to learning about any historical or cultural reason to think we would, though.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #830 on: September 07, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »

Pretty much this. :laugh: They're probably just translating it over from 빵 which pretty much can include sandwiches, subs, paninis, soup in a bread bowl, dinner rolls, burgers (which no one would ever call 빵 but it has bread on it lol) etc. All of these have their own (loan) word as well, but the general term 빵 covers most of it and they learn it as 'bread.' I don't think they realize that bread is a bit more specific than that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #831 on: September 07, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »
So one of my coTs is married to a teacher at my main school. Her English is very good so I enjoy chatting with her-- today she told me some gossip about the creepo in admin.

Now I know some specific reasons why the other teachers don't like him! The teacher who doubles as nurse noticed the supplies running strangely low. Turns out the admin. creep treats the school medicine like his personal cabinet! And I mean wtf are you doing that you're using so much that it's noticeable by the school nurse??

Another teacher asked for a ride (for a business trip) because all the taxis were busy already-- when they got there admin guy suddenly goes "taxis charge x amount so why don't you give me __" He charged MORE than the taxi drivers do! (flat rate cause we're so rural they don't use meters) Apparently he's sent his daughter off to some expensive private school so he's being a real penny pincher.  :rolleyes:

What a douche nugget!! So even if he weren't a creep, he'd still be a friggin' tool!

On the bright side, glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes him  :laugh:

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #832 on: September 07, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
So one of my coTs is married to a teacher at my main school. Her English is very good so I enjoy chatting with her-- today she told me some gossip about the creepo in admin.

Now I know some specific reasons why the other teachers don't like him! The teacher who doubles as nurse noticed the supplies running strangely low. Turns out the admin. creep treats the school medicine like his personal cabinet! And I mean wtf are you doing that you're using so much that it's noticeable by the school nurse??

Another teacher asked for a ride (for a business trip) because all the taxis were busy already-- when they got there admin guy suddenly goes "taxis charge x amount so why don't you give me __" He charged MORE than the taxi drivers do! (flat rate cause we're so rural they don't use meters) Apparently he's sent his daughter off to some expensive private school so he's being a real penny pincher.  :rolleyes:

What a douche nugget!! So even if he weren't a creep, he'd still be a friggin' tool!

On the bright side, glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes him  :laugh:

Creeps of his caliber normally double as assholes in other aspects of life. xD It's always good to have this confirmed, though.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #833 on: September 07, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »

First of all, seems kind of condescending of y'all to assume we don't know it's a blanket term. But, most of those things are still not meals, they're side-dishes, snacks, or desserts... and most of us wouldn't eat these for multiple meals a day. I'm open to learning about any historical or cultural reason to think we would, though.

There's no need to be rude when people are just answering your question.

They don't. They think we eat baked goods / Sandwiches / Wheat based things  as meals. Which many of us do.

Do we eat it everyday? No. Do some Korean people think that? Sure. Why? Because it's a stereotype, they don't know any better. Instead of being arsey about it why not kindly tell them you don't.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:11:18 PM by Jennipennypie »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #834 on: September 07, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »

There's no need to be rude when people are just answering your question.

They don't. They think we eat baked goods as meals. Which many of us do.

Do we eat it everyday? No. Do some Korean people think that? Sure. Why? Because it's a stereotype, they don't know any better. Instead of people arsey about it why not kindly tell them you don't.

If you want to go into the deeper cultural or historical reasons why Koreans might think this then the ranting thread is not the place to do it.
Saying I thought the assumption was condescending isn't rude. I'm letting you know how I felt about it, there's my rant. The original question of why many Korean people think that, that was someone else's rant. Don't tell me not to complain on a thread made for complaining.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #835 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:02 PM »

Speak for yourself. I'd eat sandwiches for every single meal if I could.

As for an actual answer to your question: I have no idea why any particular Korean person would think westerners eat nothing but bread. I suspect most of them don't actually think that and that the frequency of the assumption that you're eating 'bread' might have more to do with Koreans being more familiar with it than other western foods. I mean, it'd be pretty freaky if a Korean out of the blue asked if you were having beef stroganoff for dinner.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #836 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:51 PM »
Saying I thought the assumption was condescending isn't rude. I'm letting you know how I felt about it, there's my rant. The original question of why many Korean people think that, that was someone else's rant. Don't tell me not to complain on a thread made for complaining.

Fair enough, I got confused and didn't properly look at who was the OP. So sorry for that bit.

Anyway my rant: Deleted. CBA.

Waygook is soooo slooooooooooooow    :cry: :cry:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:22:58 PM by Jennipennypie »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #837 on: September 07, 2016, 03:21:12 PM »

Speak for yourself. I'd eat sandwiches for every single meal if I could.

As for an actual answer to your question: I have no idea why any particular Korean person would think westerners eat nothing but bread. I suspect most of them don't actually think that and that the frequency of the assumption that you're eating 'bread' might have more to do with Koreans being more familiar with it than other western foods. I mean, it'd be pretty freaky if a Korean out of the blue asked if you were having beef stroganoff for dinner.
True dat.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #838 on: September 07, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »
I had a ham egg sandwich for breakfast this morning. I made a peanut butter sandwich for lunch because I didn't feel like going to the cafeteria. I'm eating another one right now because the first one wasn't enough. I'll probably go out to Paris Baguette tonight for one of their hot sandwiches if my wife tells me she'll be late and I should eat alone. :undecided:

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #839 on: September 07, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »

When I eat dinner at my girlfriend's mom's house, there's always rice. When I ask my students what they ate for breakfast, if their parents had time to make breakfast for them, there was always rice. Lots of Koreans, including young, modern Koreans, feel like a meal isn't a meal without rice. Unless they're out eating at a restaurant, or something. Obviously that's different.

Whenever I went to my former coworkers' houses for dinner, there was always rice.

You might not think that many Korean people eat like this anymore, but coming from someone who regularly eats with Korean people, you're kind of wrong. Rice holds a super special place in most people's heart and stomach.
Sorry, I don't think I worded this well. My point wasn't that people don't eat rice, it was that it's not the main part of the dish. It's expected that rice will be there, but if I say what are you having for dinner, and you respond with "rice", that's considered a sarcastic answer, because rice isn't a meal, it's a side. If you're really just having rice, that's odd.

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018