June 21, 2018, 12:41:22 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 999643 times)

Online Bingsu

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #7940 on: April 25, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
So I get up super early this morning to go for an extra long jog, right? Need to take advantage of this clean air while I can. And I take my usual route through the nicer parts of town where there is flat stone and pavement for a safer run. I'm making good time, really enjoying myself, and while the sun is still breaking the horizon I start heading back home. I make the turnaround, and I see this guy dressed in black a short distance away. Has his face and neck covered with a scarf. He sees me and heads into an alley. I don't think anything of it at first, I see lots of guys in the morning all covered up and heading to work, usually for garbage or cleanup or something like that. So I keep the course, whatever, until I'm about ten feet from that same alleyway the guy dipped into. And he suddenly jumps out at me. Doesn't try to grab me or anything, he just leapt out in my way, and it takes me a second to realize that he's just jerking away.

Has his pants down to his knees, and I mean he is going at it. I swear to gawd that he was trying to rip his penis off so that he could throw it at me, it was the most violent thing I've seen in years. I give him a look and tell him to "**** off", but that just gets him off even more and his fist is like a blur. So I start looking around for something to throw at him and he finally shuffles off.

This isn't my first surprise dick, but it's been a long time since I've had one of these.

Jesus Christ. Not to be all "you gotta protect yourself when you're alone!!" but can you get pepper spray here?
If not in the face, I'd suspect that getting some of that to the dick would probably teach him a much harder lesson (lel)

Online JVPrice

• Veteran
« Reply #7941 on: April 25, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »

Has his pants down to his knees, and I mean he is going at it. I swear to gawd that he was trying to rip his penis off so that he could throw it at me, it was the most violent thing I've seen in years. I give him a look and tell him to "**** off", but that just gets him off even more and his fist is like a blur. So I start looking around for something to throw at him and he finally shuffles off.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Darn creeps...
The World Ends With You

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7942 on: April 25, 2018, 12:02:26 PM »
Yeah, this sort of thing doesn't catch me off guard anymore, so I found it more funny (albeit disgusting) than anything else. You really had to see this guy's "fervor" to fully appreciate the joke. It was so unreal, like he was having one last go before his dick falls off.

Jesus Christ. Not to be all "you gotta protect yourself when you're alone!!" but can you get pepper spray here?
If not in the face, I'd suspect that getting some of that to the dick would probably teach him a much harder lesson (lel)

You can order pepper spray online, but I've never seen them in any stores. I've got pepper spray at home but I didn't take it with me on my run because it's expired, lol. Although I don't know about the legalities behind using pepper spray in Korea, it's definitely available, or it was the last time I checked.

Bear mace would be great.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:37:33 PM by Chinguetti »

Online Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7943 on: April 25, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
Yeah, this sort of thing doesn't catch me off guard anymore, so I found it more funny (albeit disgusting) than anything else. You really had to see this guy's "fervor" to fully appreciate the joke. It was so unreal, like he was having one last go before his dick would fall off.

You can order pepper spray online, but I've never seen them in any stores. I've got pepper spray at home but I didn't take it with me on my run because it's expired, lol.

Bear mace would be great.

Bear mace to the dick would be a great lesson to learn tbh. As you can see, I am an advocate for hitting them where it hurts.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 12:42:44 PM by Bingsu »

Offline jwell

• Waygookin
« Reply #7944 on: April 25, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »
People are very strange these days

Oh hai Mark!

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7945 on: April 25, 2018, 12:57:43 PM »
The belief that white people in Korea are helpless children is so annoying.

I sometimes eat poison the school lunch at my country school because it's a 25 minute drive from home. Today, they served bibimbap. The teachers were given bowls and trusted with the incredibly strenuous task of mixing their own, whereas students were given pre-mixed bibimbap. I, being a dumb foreigner, clearly must not be capable of mixing my own rice and rotten vegetables despite having lived in Korea for several f*****g years, so I was given the same pre-mixed pig food served to the kids. The Chinese teacher was also given the pre-mixed version, although he said he was asked which he preferred.

I told the other teachers that it was insulting to treat the foreign teacher like a child who couldn't mix his own food, much to their embarrassment. The 5th grade teacher told the lunch ladies not to do it again.

Korea is not especially unique, nor are Koreans especially competent. They really need to stop acting like western teachers are incapable of every little task.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7946 on: April 25, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »

I sometimes eat poison the school lunch at my country school because it's a 25 minute drive from home. Today, they served bibimbap. The teachers were given bowls and trusted with the incredibly strenuous task of mixing their own, whereas students were given pre-mixed bibimbap. I, being a dumb foreigner, clearly must not be capable of mixing my own rice and rotten vegetables despite having lived in Korea for several f*****g years, so I was given the same pre-mixed pig food served to the kids. The Chinese teacher was also given the pre-mixed version, although he said he was asked which he preferred.

I told the other teachers that it was insulting to treat the foreign teacher like a child who couldn't mix his own food, much to their embarrassment. The 5th grade teacher told the lunch ladies not to do it again.

Korea is not especially unique, nor are Koreans especially competent. They really need to stop acting like western teachers are incapable of every little task.

This is the rant thread so you do you.

My rant is I can't stand people who can't deal with shit like this. You sound like a prick.

( You being...general people  :laugh: Obviously )
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:11:24 PM by Pennypie »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #7947 on: April 25, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
Another rant because I'm tired and irritable today. It's small and petty but idc.

One of my newer and younger coTs is always asking me loaded questions for the purpose of being contrary because she feels some misguided need to put the foreigner in her place. She always comes at me from a passive-aggressive "you don't really understand Korea, any Korean, or life in general" angle, even when it doesn't make any sense with the topic (also shows that she does NOT know my family or history lmao). She never even probes for more info or clarification on anything I say. Once she hears what she thinks she hears, she immediately tries to provide me with some shallow insight that fails to consider a lot of variables but that would make total sense to someone with a xenophobic inferiority complex.  So I find a lot of her opinions very short-sighted and limited, but whatever, I'm not trying to make friends with her, and I only see her once a week.

I've mostly ignored this habit because she was honestly helpful last year, and it didn't happen that often. This year, however, it's suddenly become a weekly thing, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with her coworkers. One in particular, actually.

She's friendly enough on the surface, and I honestly believe that she's a decent person, but she's a sheep, and I think she's been listening to too much jealous prattle coming from her snobby friends (there's a long story behind that that I won't get into, but yes, it's 100% jealousy) so that she feels like she needs to "enlighten" me, to show me just how "ignorant" I am because I'm not Korean and therefore cannot possibly understand normal human things on the same level as them. Clearly, I don't know what hard work is or what it means to be a "leader" (omg I would love to tell you guys about this but I'm pretty sure she gets on this site so  :undecided:).

While I've been really good about not providing her with any ammo and just generally ignoring her little scratch game, my patience is about out. Maybe I'm just feeling it today because I'm kind of pissy right now, but I don't know, I feel like I may end up chomping down on a finger.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7948 on: April 25, 2018, 01:29:37 PM »

This is the rant thread so you do you.

My rant is I can't stand people who can't deal with shit like this. You sound like a prick.

( You being...general people  :laugh: Obviously )

If you don't make a stand over smaller issues in your work environment, people will take advantage of you. Read Bingsu's posts about how her school treats her. You have to stand up for yourself in the Korean workplace, even it means that you look like a dick.

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7949 on: April 25, 2018, 01:39:48 PM »
Do you want a pork?  :wink:
Going away golfing excitedly venturing to somewhere unknown carefree knowing my youthful demeanour is craving ketchup.

Online Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7950 on: April 25, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
He's right you know. Since I made the choice to actively put my foot down about everything, even the small stuff, the kids don't run over me nearly as much.

They did today though, running in here like a storm and shoving my bookshelves around, throwing food, screaming at the top of their lungs...

Instead of letting it go I just calmly brought up Google translate and told them how disrespectful they were being and if I was a Korean teacher they'd never think to do it. If this were a Korean classroom, they wouldn't dare. I told them I was tired of it and I wanted respect like any other teacher and if they couldn't do that then they need to leave.

They "apologized" but stuck around until I made them leave, so tomorrow they will mysteriously find the English room locked until it's time for class to start. No more lounging around after lunch, f*cking with the English teacher.

It might seem petty to stand up for every little thing, you're supposed to pick your battles wisely and all that jazz, but any hint of being a pushover or being a little too nice and they'll sink their teeth into you before you can blink.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7951 on: April 25, 2018, 02:21:58 PM »
He's right you know. Since I made the choice to actively put my foot down about everything, even the small stuff, the kids don't run over me nearly as much.

They did today though, running in here like a storm and shoving my bookshelves around, throwing food, screaming at the top of their lungs...

Instead of letting it go I just calmly brought up Google translate and told them how disrespectful they were being and if I was a Korean teacher they'd never think to do it. If this were a Korean classroom, they wouldn't dare. I told them I was tired of it and I wanted respect like any other teacher and if they couldn't do that then they need to leave.

They "apologized" but stuck around until I made them leave, so tomorrow they will mysteriously find the English room locked until it's time for class to start. No more lounging around after lunch, f*cking with the English teacher.

It might seem petty to stand up for every little thing, you're supposed to pick your battles wisely and all that jazz, but any hint of being a pushover or being a little too nice and they'll sink their teeth into you before you can blink.

Sorry but you're wrong and this advice may work for awhile but its not going to help in the long run. The reason your co teacher walks all over is because she's a bad person. Your school isn't great either. Your situation and StillinKoreas aren't the same.

You're right to stand up for yourself in your situation but for most people being rude to old dinner ladies who've given you mixed bibimbap instead of unmixed is not standing up for your rights...it's being rude. Do you really agree this is something to fight for your rights over?

When there are issues with contracts absolutely fight.

When its something small, why be confrontational.

You know what the right thing to do in this situation - Go to the dinner ladies yourself and say the lunch was delicious, you've lived in Korea a long time so next time you can mix it yourself but you know it came from a nice place.

They'll be happy. You'll be happy. The school will see how lovely and polite you are. The lunch ladies wont give you unmixed bibimbap again. Everyone gets what they want.

Also sorry love but isn't this your first year?

So you know this from one school? Doesn't mean it's true everywhere.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:25:27 PM by Pennypie »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #7952 on: April 25, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »

:-* You got a KTX ticket to Daegu..................... BY YOURSELF?????

:police: Yeah.........

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7953 on: April 25, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »

Sorry but you're wrong and this advice may work for awhile but its not going to help in the long run. The reason your co teacher walks all over is because she's a bad person. Your school isn't great either. Your situation and StillinKoreas aren't the same.

You're right to stand up for yourself in your situation but for most people being rude to old dinner ladies who've given you mixed bibimbap instead of unmixed is not standing up for your rights...it's being rude. Do you really agree this is something to fight for your rights over?

You know what the right thing to do in this situation - Go to the dinner ladies yourself and say the lunch was delicious, you've lived in Korea a long time so next time you can mix it yourself but you know it came from a nice place.

They'll be happy. You'll be happy. The school will see how lovely and polite you are. The lunch ladies wont give you unmixed bibimbap again. Everyone gets what they want.

My way of doing things works for me and ultimately people seem to like me enough to want to keep me around. Whenever I've transferred away from a school, people have been pretty upset, or at the very least concerned about whether the next person will perform as well in the classroom.

I am nice and friendly to people in general, but I will not take any kind of crap. When I do feel slighted, I'm enough of an asshole that people try very hard to avoid upsetting me again. They much prefer the nice and friendly StillInKorea to the asshole StillInKorea.

As for being rude to the lunch ladies, I didn't say anything to them other than thanks when they passed me my food. At that point I hadn't realised, and I wasn't going to go back and start a fight. The 5th grade teacher took it upon himself to inform them of the situation because he saw that I was pissed and he's a decent dude.

I have zero interest in people "seeing how lovely and polite" I am. That is not how you act in a Korean workplace. People like me enough, continue to employ me, and I get a lot less crap than the nice and polite teachers in Korea. My way works just fine.

Online shanebarry1986

• Veteran
« Reply #7954 on: April 25, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »

But what if I want to be outraged and offended by everything, all of the time?

Online Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7955 on: April 25, 2018, 02:51:39 PM »
Yeah it might not be applicable to every school but it's applicable to mine and several others. First year or not.

I'm not the first too nice NET and I certainly won't be the last. There is plenty I enjoy about my school but there's also a lot that was thrown at me because I was trying to be polite and not offend anyone. There always have been and always will be people that take advantage of those they think are weak and vulnerable.

I was stupid enough to keep my mouth shut every time it happened and that was my fault. Once someone shows you that they will step on you to get ahead, it's up to you to buck up and put them back in their place.

I'm still plenty nice and polite to those who deserve it, like my higher grade students and the lower grades who DO respect me. I still smile and say hello to everyone and answer "where are you from?" for the 9th time in a row just as happily as I did the first time.

My lack of months here doesn't make me any less entitled to a view on what's going on.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7956 on: April 25, 2018, 03:03:31 PM »

But what if I want to be outraged and offended by everything, all of the time?

Then I hope you do it with all the bitter energy you can muster! Be your best self  ;D

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7957 on: April 25, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »

My way of doing things works for me and ultimately people seem to like me enough to want to keep me around. Whenever I've transferred away from a school, people have been pretty upset, or at the very least concerned about whether the next person will perform as well in the classroom.

I am nice and friendly to people in general, but I will not take any kind of crap. When I do feel slighted, I'm enough of an asshole that people try very hard to avoid upsetting me again. They much prefer the nice and friendly StillInKorea to the asshole StillInKorea.

As for being rude to the lunch ladies, I didn't say anything to them other than thanks when they passed me my food. At that point I hadn't realised, and I wasn't going to go back and start a fight. The 5th grade teacher took it upon himself to inform them of the situation because he saw that I was pissed and he's a decent dude.

I have zero interest in people "seeing how lovely and polite" I am. That is not how you act in a Korean workplace. People like me enough, continue to employ me, and I get a lot less crap than the nice and polite teachers in Korea. My way works just fine.

So, genuinely curious, does intent matter?

If someone "slights" you and they didn't intend it, do you still get upset? Is is still them giving you crap and you have to stand up for yourself?

The thing is I do agree with what you're saying. Sometimes we are treated like children and it's really annoying, but the way you describe it sounds like you're being an aggressive dick to people who have the gall to do what they think is kind.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:11:02 PM by Pennypie »

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7958 on: April 25, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »
Yeah it might not be applicable to every school but it's applicable to mine and several others. First year or not.

I'm not the first too nice NET and I certainly won't be the last. There is plenty I enjoy about my school but there's also a lot that was thrown at me because I was trying to be polite and not offend anyone. There always have been and always will be people that take advantage of those they think are weak and vulnerable.

I was stupid enough to keep my mouth shut every time it happened and that was my fault. Once someone shows you that they will step on you to get ahead, it's up to you to buck up and put them back in their place.

I'm still plenty nice and polite to those who deserve it, like my higher grade students and the lower grades who DO respect me. I still smile and say hello to everyone and answer "where are you from?" for the 9th time in a row just as happily as I did the first time.

My lack of months here doesn't make me any less entitled to a view on what's going on.

You're right, it doesn't. You are absolutely entitled to your view. Your lack of months here does mean that you might not understand what is going on quite as well as someone who has been here years though.

It sounds like I'm being horrible to you, I don't mean to be. I genuinely think you have a hard situation and i'm glad you're standing up for yourself more. I think your school try to take advantage because they're shitty. Not because you're too nice.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:20:52 PM by Pennypie »

Online Bingsu

• Veteran
« Reply #7959 on: April 25, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »

You're right, it doesn't. You are absolutely entitled to your view. Your lack of months here does mean that you might not understand what is going on quite as well as someone who has been here years though.

It sounds like I'm being horrible to you, I don't mean to be. I genuinely think you have a hard situation and i'm glad you're standing up for yourself more. I think your school try to take advantage because they're shitty. Not because you're too nice.

I don't think that you're being horrible. I think you read situations differently and that's completely okay. I think you've been helpful and insightful by reading past posts, we all just communicate differently.

And tbh I think it's a mix of both in my situation. I think some of what they've done is underhanded and I let it slide because I didn't want to cause trouble.