September 26, 2018, 04:42:04 AM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098352 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #2020 on: October 25, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
That's a he?

I'd hate to see your drunk goggles if you think that's a girl. Might want to rewind and replay the foggy memories of Thailand and the Philippines there.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2021 on: October 25, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »
That's a he?

He is sometimes called "Meg Ryan."

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2022 on: October 25, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »
Can we stop pretending and just own the drug thing, at least the weed part?

Seeing as Canada has the highest usage rate of just under 20% (in the past year) and the US is just below 10%, no it's probably not best to own it.

Something being relatively common amongst one group does not make it indicative of the whole group. That's called stereotyping.

Source for US numbers: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/2464591

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2023 on: October 25, 2016, 04:02:45 PM »
No kidding?

I don't play video games, or whatever you guys call them these days.

If that is what is passing as male, ouch...

Waxed eyebrows, shaved chest, high lights, low lights,...very feminine to me, as I don't quite get the metrosexual trend.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2024 on: October 25, 2016, 04:03:22 PM »

Seeing as Canada has the highest usage rate of just under 20% (in the past year) and the US is just below 10%, no it's probably not best to own it.

Something being relatively common amongst one group does not make it indicative of the whole group. That's called stereotyping.

Source for US numbers: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/article-abstract/2464591

Alright, next time you're out with a group of foreigners, ask the question "Have you ever smoked weed?" or "Did you smoke weed on your last vacation?" Is there shock at anyone who says yes to both questions? Is there shock at anyone who says 'no' to the first question?

Now do it with Koreans.

Come on, let's not try and pretend this is some crazy idea. Have you ever smoked weed?

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2025 on: October 25, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »
No kidding?

I don't play video games, or whatever you guys call them these days.

If that is what is passing as male, ouch...

Waxed eyebrows, shaved chest, high lights, low lights,...very feminine to me, as I don't quite get the metrosexual trend.

It's a pretty old game. As for the eyebrows, its called CG rendering circa 2001. Also, Japanese people are usually hairless. That and dyed hair was the trend back when the game came out. It's not high lights and low lights, it's called dying your blonde and the roots start to grow out.

As I said, if you think that's a girl, I'd hate to see the "women" you've hooked up with if you were ever out in SE Asia/Philippines.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2026 on: October 25, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
Thankfully, happily married and the "lady boy" crowd was never my thing.

You see foreigners with the shemales and have to wonder...surely, they've got to know.

Whatever floats your boat.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2027 on: October 25, 2016, 04:32:09 PM »
What do you guys do to not let super crappy classes get under your skin? On Tuesday I have the worst class at the end of the day and by the end, I feel so crappy and upset. Right now I'm listening to the Studio Ghibli relaxing piano collection.

Depends on the class. I'm usually able to leave it behind in the classroom because of how I handle the behavior as it's happening real-time, but I'm also given a lot of freedom to assert my authority, so you know... that makes a big difference. xD

With other things, especially those I don't have much or any control over, I normally start working on something. Anything. Could be lesson planning, could be sweeping the floor. I'm normally still replaying events over in my head, but keeping busy seems to help me work through that.

Also, I watch funny vids or animations.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2028 on: October 25, 2016, 04:46:20 PM »
I accidentally purchased a sweet loaf bread instead of normal bread. And it's in that weird in-between area where it's not really sweet, but it has just enough sweetness for you to detect it, and I don't like it.

I'm hoping that a pesto glaze and some baking in the oven will turn it into a decent crouton.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2029 on: October 25, 2016, 07:31:09 PM »

Alright, next time you're out with a group of foreigners, ask the question "Have you ever smoked weed?" or "Did you smoke weed on your last vacation?" Is there shock at anyone who says yes to both questions? Is there shock at anyone who says 'no' to the first question?

Now do it with Koreans.

Come on, let's not try and pretend this is some crazy idea. Have you ever smoked weed?

Numbers beat out opinions every time. You can claim anything you want on behalf of your country that doesn't make it true.

I'd happily sue for defamation anyone that told the public I smoked weed. I don't give a flying fart what other people do though. To your last question, no never have. Never will.

This was one of main points of contention with my last CT. She asked me some of the most ludicrous questions imaginable wrt drugs.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2030 on: October 25, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »
the US is just below 10%

Not anymore. It's higher now.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/194195/adults-say-smoke-marijuana.aspx

Thirteen percent of U.S. adults tell Gallup they currently smoke marijuana

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #2031 on: October 25, 2016, 07:54:56 PM »
It's pretty easy to get your view of things distorted by the kinds of people you hang out with. My childhood friends through highschool all smoked weed. But since then I've always been surprised how different groups I've become part of, university, jobs, sports, how few people have ever had anything to do with any drugs.

My teen years gave me the impression that EVERYONE at least smoked weed, subsequently I've found that far from the truth.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #2032 on: October 25, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
A lot of people have never even had a sip of alcohol. Roughly half the world's population- 48%.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2033 on: October 25, 2016, 10:43:58 PM »
It's pretty easy to get your view of things distorted by the kinds of people you hang out with. My childhood friends through highschool all smoked weed. But since then I've always been surprised how different groups I've become part of, university, jobs, sports, how few people have ever had anything to do with any drugs.

My teen years gave me the impression that EVERYONE at least smoked weed, subsequently I've found that far from the truth.

Oh I agree a lot of people don't, the vast majority. But my big point was the discrepency between Koreans and NETs when it comes to having TRIED weed. There would be zero reaction to finding out the new expat in town smoked weed in college. There would be quite the shock if your new CT said she smoked weed during her time at Seoul Uni of Education. Can't we just admit that while the shoe might not perfectly fit, that there is a massive disparity here and at least partially own it?

Not to mention, I'd wager that people from our countries who would live overseas (not deployed/dispatched) are more likely to engage in risk taking behavior, including drug experimentation. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I'm guessing support for legalized pot in Korea is something like 2% That's a big gap.

I'd also wager there's at least one gripe about Koreans we have that is in the 50% have done it once, 13% do it regularly category.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #2034 on: October 25, 2016, 10:56:53 PM »
If you polled men about how many have been with prostitutes, I think most foreigners would be shocked by the results in Korea.

Is that what you mean?

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2036 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:42 AM »
My point was not that some of us do drugs, it was that even knowing about drug culture raises eyebrows. I know a lot about drugs through our media and culture. But even that gets a "어, no no no no no" *waves hands frantically*

When my GF tries to tell me about how drugs are bad and then won't elaborate ONE SINGLE DETAIL following that, I tell her that I don't fly into cardiology conventions and start interrupting people and saying, "That's not how I feel about open heart surgery."

You know why? Because I have no idea how to/what open heart surgery is. 
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2037 on: October 26, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
If you polled men about how many have been with prostitutes, I think most foreigners would be shocked by the results in Korea.

Don't quote me on this, but I thought I read 43% somewhere recently.

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2038 on: October 26, 2016, 08:08:04 AM »
All my powerpoint files seem to have been damaged somehow overnight. Whenever I try to open them, I get the damaged error in Powerpoint, which then either doesn't open or just closes. >.< Things were working fine yesterday, and they are fine on my personal laptop, but the school computers see my files as damaged. >.<
I don't bring my laptop to my travel schools as well, so I'm not sure what I will do for the day - granted, I only have 1 class today, since my other classes are practicing for some upcoming test.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2039 on: October 26, 2016, 08:11:02 AM »

Is that what you mean?

Well I wasn't thinking of that, but you could use that as an example, although I don't think the numbers really match on that one as the numbers are probably far higher.

My point was not that some of us do drugs, it was that even knowing about drug culture raises eyebrows. I know a lot about drugs through our media and culture. But even that gets a "어, no no no no no" *waves hands frantically*

When my GF tries to tell me about how drugs are bad and then won't elaborate ONE SINGLE DETAIL following that, I tell her that I don't fly into cardiology conventions and start interrupting people and saying, "That's not how I feel about open heart surgery."

You know why? Because I have no idea how to/what open heart surgery is. 

I think use of illegal drugs and open heart surgery is way different. That's like saying you need to be a boxer to know it's wrong to hit people. You don't need years and years of school and high intellect to be a heart surgeon. With drugs all you need is two months and 10 grand to blow.

But yes, one of the consequences of having a liberal attitude towards drug use as a society is that you'll be considered potential drug users abroad. We need to stop pretending like this is some sort of completely unfounded accusation.

Yeah, lots of people where we're from have tried drugs. 13% are habitual users. This whole "we might be drug users" thing? Not that far out of left field.