December 16, 2017, 03:32:21 AM

Author Topic: Strength Training and Fitness: What do you do?  (Read 2011 times)

Offline stotes

• Adventurer
Strength Training and Fitness: What do you do?
« on: November 11, 2014, 01:40:09 PM »
Let's talk strength training and fitness!

I recently started doing the 5x5 Strong Lifts strength training program.

My goals are to lose some weight (body fat) and gain some muscle (strength).  Pretty simple really.

The focus is on getting stronger (hence the name), and I find it is quite simple and easy to follow for a beginner.  Each workout takes about 1 hour, and I can definitely commit to working out 3 times a week.

I have had problems with form, and as a beginner, some of the exercises are a bit intimidating.  After watching videos, and getting help from personal trainers at the gym for form, I'm getting into a nice groove.

I really like this program because it has a very simple app that tracks your weight, how much you are lifting, the amount of sets and repetitions, as well as timing your breaks.  It's super simple, and a lot better than bringing a big notebook or notepad to every workout station.

At my gym, pyramid routines are encouraged (doing many reps with a lighter weight, and then adding weight but reducing repetitions), but I find doing 5 reps and 5 sets of the same weight to be good for my current goals.

For abdominal stuff, I will usually go into a stretching room and do bicycle crunches and clapping things (clapping between your legs while doing a bicycle motion) as well as 1 minute planks to finish my workouts.  I haven't been doing ANY cardio, because it's frigging boring!  Am I missing out without cardio?

What is your routine at the gym? 
What do you like to do? 
What are your goals?
What are some pros/cons of your system?

Any advice and feedback is appreciated, even if your qualification is just a PhD in Broscience. 

Let's talk about WHAT you do and WHY you do it, but we don't need to start a pissing contest to measure the size of our...deltoids.  I think there is another prolific thread on diet, so we can just leave that over there....
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:48:53 PM by stotes »

Offline atk210

• Waygookin
Re: Strength Training and Fitness: What do you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:13:17 PM »
A while back I was a part of experiments with strength training by Underarmour. You can PM me if you want to know what their workout was.
Off of that I made up my own work out.

For example, I would do muscle groups per day (Max 10 rep) (90 sec rest  between each set)
Uppers day 1
Bench 10x10x10
Incline 10x10x10
Military Shoulders 10x10x10
Reverse bench 10x10x10
Push Down Triceps 10x10x10
Weighted Abs 10x10x10
Lowers day 2
Squat 10x10x10
Deadlift 10x10x10
Scissor Squats or Walking Lunges 10x10x10
Bicep Curls 10x10x10
Cleans 5x5x5
Forearms (Clench) 20x20x20
Calf Raises 40x40x40
Then repeat for days 3 4 5 6 then rest
After about 6 months you move on to the next level or new workout
My goal is power/strength/endurance
Pros: You get strong real fast
Cons: Rough on your system. Hard to reach 6 days. Time consuming. Narrow focus of muscles.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:17:42 PM by atk210 »

Offline ChickenLegsMcGee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:31:35 PM »
My workout is generally different from what people think of, so I thought I should share.

I have been doing a body weight (calisthenics) workout.  Everything is done with 2 chairs, and a pull-up bar. If you have walking bars, that's even better (can be found in Korea everywhere) This workout is wonderful in Korea, due to the abundant workout equipment in all the parks. The reason I started doing this and abandoned the gym is because I wanted a workout I can do anywhere, even during backpacking trips.

What is your routine at the home-gym 

3 sets of 15 push-ups, 1 minute rests in between.
2 minute rest.
3 sets of 15 dips, 1 minute rest in between.
2 minute rest.
3 sets of 15 pull ups, 1 minute rest in between.
2 minute rest.
3 sets of 15 squats, 1 minute rest in between.
2 minute rest.
3 sets of standing calf raises, 1 minute rest in between.

Total time: 30-50minutes

What do you like to do? 
I play various sports for endurance, flexibility, reflexes. I practice a little bit of martial arts for technique.

What are your goals?
Have a small - medium body frame, but be able to progress to the hardest levels of each exercise. Strength > size. Longevity > sprint.

Pros:

Cheap, saves you money, can be done almost anywhere, very effective for building strength and endurance. A difficult workout that most people cannot complete effectively (push-ups, pull-ups, dips, and squats can all be progressively harder/easier).

Cons:

Does not allow the ability to work out smaller muscles (isolation). Most/All exercises are compound exercises.
Not the best method for bulking if bulking is the main reason for your workout.

Tips for progression: Use things around you to ad additional weight to your body. I struggle moving onto the next step of body dips, so I saddle on a 20kg bag of rice. Before this, I would tie 2L water bottles to my legs.

For a glimpse as what progress can be made with just this, I can currently do assisted one handed push ups, assisted one handed pull-ups, body dips with additional weight, and one legged jump squats.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:38:23 PM by richardtang1991 »
Open your mind.

Offline Choirs

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
My goals are to lose some weight (body fat) and gain some muscle (strength).  Pretty simple really.

Firstly, choose one goal and stick to it - and do it well.

While not sacrosanct, weight loss is part and parcel with muscle loss, and muscle gain with increased body fat.

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:24:20 PM »
While not sacrosanct, weight loss is part and parcel with muscle loss, and muscle gain with increased body fat.

Nah, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.  A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle except that 1 pound of muscle increase your metabolism all through the day.  I've done PT with tons of people who have done both at the same time. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:38:44 PM by madison79 »
It's -ev to deal with some people.

Offline albinoninja

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »
I've been getting into kettlebells the past couple of years.  They make for a very simple and fast workout with minimal equipment.  You can get by on a single 16 kg for most guys, but would eventually want to progress to a 24 kg.  If you really get into it you can aim for using "The Beast" which is a 48 kg bell.

Simplest workout is 100 swings and then 10 Turkish get-ups.  Can be done in about 30 minutes depending on your speed.  Increases strength and endurance, but you will not see huge gains in size.  I'm into BJJ so it is one of the best workouts for what I want.

You can check out information on Pavel's website Strong First.  He also has a simple barbell routine, similar in style to 5x5, and a bodyweight one.

You can get a 16kg kettlebell in Korea for about 70,000 new.  Used ones can be had starting around 30-40.

Offline gkamenos

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
Right now I'm on my third cycle of the 13 week stronglifts 5 x 5 program.  I've made some great gains.  I've added a few things though.  I've done several other programs in the past, but this is what I'm doing now

First I've added some light cardio before to get my blood flowing. I ride the stationary bike or jog on the treadmill for 10-15 minutes to get my blood flowing.  I try and break a swet.  You gotta put the treadmill on some sort of inclince or you are wasting your time.

Second, mobility exercises.  I can't emphasize these enough. As teachers, we sit down a lot and I've always noticed my hip flexors need to be stretched well before squatting heavy.  First I do two different hip flexor stretches.  One with my knee half flexed ( to stretch my upper quad ), then another with my knee almost fully flexed ( to stretch my Psoas muscle ). 

I then stretch my hamstrings and calves well, followed by using a lacross ball to work the arch of my foot.  Then I do some other stretches for my lower back.  After that I foam roll by back for a while.  Lastly, I do some shoulder discolacations to warm up my shoulders. All of these exercises prepare me for squats. 

Finally I do some squat stretches and practice squat form with no bar.  All of this lasts about 15-20 minutes ( or more )  These stretches have saved me from injury and cramps.

I then do my 5 x 5.

If I fee like I need to work my abs more I'll do some planks AND front squats after the 5 x 5.  Don't underestimate front squats for your core strength.  I usually work my way up to 3 sets of three or 5 sets of 3 depending on how dead I am. 

On off days if i fee tight or sore, I'll use the lacross ball on my quads, feet, or chest.  I will foam roll too if my upper traps are sore or tweaked a bit.  I also have some rubbe bands I use to do rotator cuff work or some band pull aparts.

Offline Captain Corea

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
Regarding abs, I think we have to remember a few things...

-like all muscle groups, you're inclined to them or not
-they are often hidden under fat

I've got very few genetic blessings regarding muscles, but I've always had abs - even at 25+% BF. I have LARGE abs, and they show through any fat I've thrown at them. I got them through heavy isolation training, and a healthy does of genetics.

For most people though, I'd suggest focusing on BF levels, and see ... what you can see.

------------------

What is your routine at the gym? 
I don't have one... not one laid out, anyway. I have a goal in mind each day (chest, for example), and I look around for what's available to accomplish it.

What do you like to do? 
I really enjoy modifying exercises to suit my mechanics and goals. You'll often find me sitting oddly on a Hammer Strength machine, doing something just a bit off.

What are your goals?
To develop a 1960s/70s bodybuilder look.

It's really hard for anyone to follow/track. It drives ppl with notepads nuts!! lol
It's really based entirely on how I feel.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:41:47 PM by Captain Corea »

Offline Captain Corea

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:44:08 PM »

Nah, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.  A pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle except that 1 pound of muscle increase your metabolism all through the day.  I've done PT with tons of people who have done both at the same time.

I'll agree with this. You CAN lose fat and build muscle... and in fact, it's seems easier for new lifters to get those "noob gains".... but for experienced lifters, natty lifters, it's a tad tougher.

Offline madison79

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 06:52:30 AM »

I'll agree with this. You CAN lose fat and build muscle... and in fact, it's seems easier for new lifters to get those "noob gains".... but for experienced lifters, natty lifters, it's a tad tougher.

It's because many lifters hit stagnation since they don't change their workouts up enough or give enough rest time.  I've seen people doing the same routine for years and they wonder why the aren't improving. 

Simple thing like changing cardio to before lifting might help. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.