December 18, 2017, 04:59:28 PM

Author Topic: Qatar 2022 World Cup likely to be played in Winter  (Read 2686 times)

Offline raysmith

• Super Waygook
Qatar 2022 World Cup likely to be played in Winter
« on: November 04, 2014, 05:33:34 AM »
I'm still trying to work out how FIFA thought that the World Cup could be played in Qatar during Summer.   

I recall it being absolutely sweltering and humid in that area of the World on the 25th April a few years back.  That's more than a month before Summer begins.

Quote from article below.  (link at bottom)

"FIFA has raised objections to holding the 2022 Qatar World Cup in the Summer despite calls by top European clubs and leagues.

The football governing body's medical chief highlighted the health risk of holding matches between May and September, "

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-04/fifa-show-little-enthusiasm-for-april-may-world-cup-in-2022/5864200
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:23:41 AM by raysmith »

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Qatar 2022 World Cup likely to be played in Winter
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:43:33 AM »
It will be weird for the players to play on top of the mass graves of the slaves that built the stadiums.

Offline Space

• The Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »
The whole situation is beyond a joke.

Of course it will be played in the winter. It has to be. It will disrupt and eat into league times of all the major club leagues, and compensation will have to be dished out to those clubs affected. Money makes the world go round, and FIFA seems to be elbow deep in money grabbing pies. There's a stench of corrupt slime oozing out from their every orifice. But nothing will be done. People and countries will watch and stand by and pretend to see nothing.

What was the estimated death toll by the time the cup rolls around? 4,000? But hey, they're just lowly scum working in slave-like conditions from unimportant places. Who cares, eh?

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »
Brazil was the last good WC. The next two will be a venal feast of totalitarian oligarchs celebrating themselves and buying gullible peoples' goodwill. Sadly I think most people will still tune because they just care about football.

I think the next century will be dominated by crude oligarchs in China, Russia, and the Arab world, partly because the Western world has exhausted its wealth and its moral credibility. If you can buy the news you can manipulate history.

YoungMin

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
Corruption in FIFA is second to none. Gonna be mint watching Qatar scapre through the group stages after a 1-0 win over Germany or summit when Germany have had 8 goals disallowed and 4 players sent off.

Offline toomuchtelly1

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
Not to sound harsh but the last two World Cup Locations all had shady ass working conditions. Brazil had protests regularly about how messed up the stadium building process was. People died. Not saying it's right, just wondering why Qatar's issues are making people upset whereas in previous years they turned a blind eye. Kind of hypocritical.

That being said whoever thought playing in the summer in the desert would be a good idea clearly has a few bolts loose.

Offline Gaikoku.org

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »
Not to sound harsh but the last two World Cup Locations all had shady ass working conditions. Brazil had protests regularly about how messed up the stadium building process was. People died. Not saying it's right, just wondering why Qatar's issues are making people upset whereas in previous years they turned a blind eye. Kind of hypocritical.

That being said whoever thought playing in the summer in the desert would be a good idea clearly has a few bolts loose.

How does one protest while turning a blind eye to the issue?

Offline toomuchtelly1

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »

Brazilians protested, the rest of the world seemed not to care.

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »

By standing on the nearest table and giving a primal scream while helicoptering your Archduke.

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »

Because Qatar is using literal slave labour, beating labourers to death and the government is either supporting it or turning a blind eye. 

There were protests in Brazil, as there are protests in almost every location of a major event.  That doesn't mean it's the worst thing to happen or that the protesters are correct on every assertion.  People are displaced all the time in the developing world, we just hear more about it when it's due to the Olympics/World Cup and then blame those things.  It's not like rich and poor were living in harmony in Brazil or South Africa before the WC came to town.  The demonstrations happened more because the global media had a spotlight on those locations, rather than the event itself causing the problem to begin with.  And, as I said, just because some are out protesting against the WC doesn't mean they represent the majority or that they are right.  What about the millions of Brazilians who wanted the WC, who benefited from it?  Because they're not out on the streets setting fires their voice is not as relevant?

(The protesters in Brazil obviously had a point, and a very important one at that.  I just mean there are more layers to the story than just want you might catch on HuffPost). 

Anyway, that's all very different from actual slave labour.  People disagreeing with the way public funds are being used is very different than the use of slave labour.  Nothing hypocritical about it.  False equivalencies are used by people to look smart, but their ultimate implication is that we shouldn't care about anything because there is no good or bad.  Well, sorry, slave labour is bad.  Very very bad. 

Offline orangeman

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
There is a good chance that the 2022 WC may be moved altogether.  Some high ranking FIFA reps have already hinted at just handing it to the USA, who has in turn said they could "host tomorrow, if necessary". 

Moving it to winter wouldn't just screw with the Euro leagues, but also the Olympics.  It's just way too much hassle just to ensure a country no one wanted to host can host.  The players don't want it there, the fans don't want it there, most of the organizers don't want it there (those that weren't paid off), the soccer leagues don't want it there, the Olympics don't want it there.  Looks like some FIFA reps are going to have to pay back their bribes and move it.  The problem is that the Russian win was probably tied to Qatar somehow, so that complicates their web of lies and corruption.

I read a good quote somewhere recently about this.  I don't remember it exactly, but to paraphrase, "I really hope it's true Qatar bribed some people for the WC, because otherwise it means that FIFA really is that dumb,". 

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »

Because Qatar is using literal slave labour, beating labourers to death and the government is either supporting it or turning a blind eye. 

There were protests in Brazil, as there are protests in almost every location of a major event.  That doesn't mean it's the worst thing to happen or that the protesters are correct on every assertion.  People are displaced all the time in the developing world, we just hear more about it when it's due to the Olympics/World Cup and then blame those things.  It's not like rich and poor were living in harmony in Brazil or South Africa before the WC came to town.  The demonstrations happened more because the global media had a spotlight on those locations, rather than the event itself causing the problem to begin with.  And, as I said, just because some are out protesting against the WC doesn't mean they represent the majority or that they are right.  What about the millions of Brazilians who wanted the WC, who benefited from it?  Because they're not out on the streets setting fires their voice is not as relevant?

(The protesters in Brazil obviously had a point, and a very important one at that.  I just mean there are more layers to the story than just want you might catch on HuffPost). 

Anyway, that's all very different from actual slave labour.  People disagreeing with the way public funds are being used is very different than the use of slave labour.  Nothing hypocritical about it.  False equivalencies are used by people to look smart, but their ultimate implication is that we shouldn't care about anything because there is no good or bad.  Well, sorry, slave labour is bad.  Very very bad.

*Brazillions

Offline Pattinsons

• Super Waygook
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 12:09:37 PM »
There is a good chance that the 2022 WC may be moved altogether.  Some high ranking FIFA reps have already hinted at just handing it to the USA, who has in turn said they could "host tomorrow, if necessary". 

Moving it to winter wouldn't just screw with the Euro leagues, but also the Olympics.  It's just way too much hassle just to ensure a country no one wanted to host can host.  The players don't want it there, the fans don't want it there, most of the organizers don't want it there (those that weren't paid off), the soccer leagues don't want it there, the Olympics don't want it there.  Looks like some FIFA reps are going to have to pay back their bribes and move it.  The problem is that the Russian win was probably tied to Qatar somehow, so that complicates their web of lies and corruption.

I read a good quote somewhere recently about this.  I don't remember it exactly, but to paraphrase, "I really hope it's true Qatar bribed some people for the WC, because otherwise it means that FIFA really is that dumb,".

There was a lot of talk about moving the games during the World Cup. Haven't heard much lately. I really haven't been paying that close attention however.

Offline toomuchtelly1

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
I was not trying to say that what is happening there is not terrible nor am I advocating not caring but I noticed a strong uptick in the attention Qatar was getting after the rumor spread that the US would get to host should it get taken away from Qatar. I just don't think everyone who seems to be speaking out on Qatar actually cares about the working conditions. Same end goal but the "why" is very different.

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »
I was not trying to say that what is happening there is not terrible nor am I advocating not caring but I noticed a strong uptick in the attention Qatar was getting after the rumor spread that the US would get to host should it get taken away from Qatar. I just don't think everyone who seems to be speaking out on Qatar actually cares about the working conditions. Same end goal but the "why" is very different.

Are you joking?

They are literally working slaves to death...

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
Countries like this shouldn't be hosting major sporting events, they have no history in the sport being played and are a poor location for fans to visit. I hate the way that Doha bought the WTA year end tournament and it was this overheated and poorly attended farce with no atmosphere.

Offline toomuchtelly1

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:23:18 PM »

Are you joking?

Your statement does not actually refute my point.

I think that Qatar should have it taken away from them, the deaths are inexcusable and they should be brought to trial for human right violations. Does not change the fact I saw an uptick in coverage post the rumors even though the inhuman working conditions were well known prior to the rumors.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:25:11 PM by toomuchtelly1 »

Offline jwharrison30

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »

Are you joking?

I think that Qatar should have it taken away from them, the deaths are inexcusable and they should be brought to trial for human right violations. Does not change the fact I saw an uptick in coverage post the rumors even though the inhuman working conditions were well known prior to the rumors.

The inhumane working conditions were well known before the rumors of the inhumane working conditions?

k

Offline toomuchtelly1

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »

Are you joking?

The inhumane working conditions were well known before the rumors of the inhumane working conditions?

k

The rumors about the US getting it if Qatar is out, sorry my wording wasn't clear. You are free to disagree, there is no need to be so dismissive though.

Offline pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 02:11:32 PM »
WC should stay in Qatar, since it's never been in the region. FIFA probably doesn't have to worry about advertising money, because there will be companies more than willing to replace withdrawing ones.

Remember that Western Europe, and the US, aren't the only sources of cash-rich companies. I'm sure there are tons of companies in the Middle East, China, Japan, Korea, and India, more than willing to jump at the chance to become official FIFA advertisers.