December 11, 2017, 05:20:50 PM

Author Topic: Going to uni overseas  (Read 665 times)

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
Going to uni overseas
« on: November 03, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
What do you think about earning a degree overseas?

I heard about how in Korea foreigners get 50-100% of their tuition covered (because South Korea universities want more foreign students in order to boost their international rankings). Once I heard that I thought about what other Asian countries might be doing the same thing. Do other Eastern countries offer a similar deal (or better)?

Interesting article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/10/29/7-countries-where-americans-can-study-at-universities-in-english-for-free-or-almost-free/

What would be the pros and cons of a degree abroad?

Offline AlivePoet

• Expert Waygook
Re: Going to uni overseas
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
I've been considering this for a long time too, to get my master's as a follow-up after my gig in Korea. I'm no expert but I've researched a bit and these are my thoughts (mostly regarding the potential for graduate studies in Europe):

Pros:
-As you said, almost free/cheaper tuition. You can earn a degree in some European countries tuition-free.
-More international experience abroad, always a good thing
-More interesting (probably) than studying in your home country
-Chance to learn country's language (e.g. German or French)
-Various benefits from European education system
(Just a few off the top of my head)

Cons:
-Can be difficult to get a visa for studying purposes
-Competitive, particularly to get into the good cities/universities
-Might not have the program you're looking for
-Expensive living costs might almost negate your savings in tuition from your home country, depending where you're from
-Many European universities offer free (or largely subsidized) tuition for EU citizens, charge more for North Americans
-Depending where you go language barrier may or may not be a problem (and less than in Korea, certainly)
-Hefty application fees, long processing times
-You usually have to have quite a decent bank account to prove that you won't be penniless while living in the target country

It's something that I had thought might be easy to get into, but the more I research, the more I realize it's really not simple at all to get accepted into a European university for graduate studies. One of my friends waited over a year to get his visa approved and paperwork sorted out. Sure, free tuition sounds great, but you can get reasonable tuition back home too. Personally, I'd still rather study abroad than in my home country, though.

Studying in Korea may be worthwhile. Probably much easier to get into a university here than in a European country...but I'm a bit concerned as to how credible future employers would consider a master's from Korea. Probably depends where you will be seeking employment, but something tells me a western degree will be treated with higher favour.