December 16, 2017, 03:54:13 AM

Author Topic: Public School Teacher Survey  (Read 2442 times)

Offline kimb

• Explorer
Public School Teacher Survey
« on: October 24, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm doing a survey of native English teachers who teach in public schools here in Korea.

This is for a project I'm doing for my MA program in TESOL. It's only two questions that shouldn't take more than a minute of your time.  If you teach in more than one place, please choose the place where you teach the most number of hours. If the number of hours is equal, you can decide which type of school you'd like to answer for. Also, it is possible to take the survey more than once, but it would have to be from 2 different computers or smartphones.

If you could please a couple moments to take the survey, it would be greatly appreciated. The survey is anonymous.

Thanks! 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/R38X22J
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:37:06 AM by kimb »

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
Re: Public School Teacher Survey
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:00:08 AM »
Done and done.  ;D
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline miljennifer

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »
I just completed your survey. Just some quick, friendly feedback - I'm not sure of the statistics, but many NETs I know teach in multiple schools and at multiple levels.

For example, I teach both high and elementary - in high school I make my own curriculum and lessons but in elementary I teach the textbook.

ALL of the public school NETs in my area (rural Gangwon-do) work in multiple schools - some of them in 5 schools and at all 3 school levels.

Not sure if that's relevant to your research, but thought I'd let you know as the current survey doesn't allow multiple selections on answers...

Offline kimb

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:05:36 AM »
I just completed your survey. Just some quick, friendly feedback - I'm not sure of the statistics, but many NETs I know teach in multiple schools and at multiple levels.

For example, I teach both high and elementary - in high school I make my own curriculum and lessons but in elementary I teach the textbook.

ALL of the public school NETs in my area (rural Gangwon-do) work in multiple schools - some of them in 5 schools and at all 3 school levels.

Not sure if that's relevant to your research, but thought I'd let you know as the current survey doesn't allow multiple selections on answers...
Thanks for pointing that out I would say that if you teach in more than one place, choose the place where you teach the most number of hours. If the number of hours is equal, you can decide which type of school you'd like to answer for. Also, it is possible to take the survey more than once as another workaround, but it would have to be from 2 different computers or smartphones.

At this point it wouldn't be feasible to make changes to the survey, but I'll definitely make note of that for next time. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:29:12 AM by kimb »

Offline robobob9000

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »
I wanted to answer your survey but I couldn't because the questions are very ambiguous.  First of all, you can only select one "level" of teaching, and many of us teach multiple levels.  For example I teach 3 days a week at elementary and 2 days a week at middle school, but I only do middle school clubs/camps, and I don't do elementary clubs/camps.  So overall my hours come out close to 50/50 between Elementary and Middle School.  But technically I am considered a "middle school teacher" because my middle school is my primary school. 

A much better question would be something like "What level of teacher do you consider yourself to be?  Please choose one, even if you teach multiple levels".  Self-identification is a much more accurate way to gather survey information because it leaves much less room for interpretation.

The second question also has a lot of false dichotomies.  Both the question itself and every single one of the responses.  A much better way to survey that information would be to ask people on a scale of 1-9 how much do they use the textbook in their class.

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
The second question also has a lot of false dichotomies.  Both the question itself and every single one of the responses.  A much better way to survey that information would be to ask people on a scale of 1-9 how much do they use the textbook in their class.
This is my problem.  Curriculum and lesson plans are not the same thing.  Curriculum is basically WHAT you teach, and lesson are HOW you go about teaching it.

I have little freedom in the curriculum, but the lesson plans in my classes are the result of collaboration between my CT and myself--well, mostly me. 

Offline probablylauren

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »
Also there might be NSETs hired in Korea that don't teach those levels, even in the public school system. I.e. I'm a SMOE NSET but I teach adults (training teachers)- so an "other" option would make things more accurate, as there might be other ambiguous situations as well
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

Offline kimb

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
I wanted to answer your survey but I couldn't because the questions are very ambiguous.  First of all, you can only select one "level" of teaching, and many of us teach multiple levels.  For example I teach 3 days a week at elementary and 2 days a week at middle school, but I only do middle school clubs/camps, and I don't do elementary clubs/camps.  So overall my hours come out close to 50/50 between Elementary and Middle School.  But technically I am considered a "middle school teacher" because my middle school is my primary school. 

A much better question would be something like "What level of teacher do you consider yourself to be?  Please choose one, even if you teach multiple levels".  Self-identification is a much more accurate way to gather survey information because it leaves much less room for interpretation.

I addressed the issue of teachers working in more than one school above. If your MS is where you primarily work, you can put that as your answer. 

As for having a rating 1-9, I did think about that but for purposes of this survey I only need to know if you come up with your own material, must follow a textbook, or do a combination of the two.

Offline kimb

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
Also there might be NSETs hired in Korea that don't teach those levels, even in the public school system. I.e. I'm a SMOE NSET but I teach adults (training teachers)- so an "other" option would make things more accurate, as there might be other ambiguous situations as well
For purposes of this survey, I'm only concerned with teachers at the elementary, middle and high school levels. People who are teacher trainers or who teach at universities weren't included.

Offline kimb

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 09:06:15 AM »
Thanks everyone who participated in my survey. If you haven't already done so and teach in public school, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take this quick survey. Thanks again!

Offline kimb

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
Just doing one last bump before I close the survey this week. Thanks again to everyone for helping out!! 

Offline englishscholar

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Just finished it now mate.

Offline nindaegu

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 10:28:04 AM »
Good luck!

Offline fourthchild

• Veteran