January 21, 2018, 02:36:35 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 467737 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #680 on: April 12, 2016, 02:29:03 PM »
I know it's not Friday but a quick question...

If you pay for your own apartment here, is it really your responsibility to find the next tenant if you want your key money back??

So you could potentially not get it back if you/the landlord can't find a new tenant?

:huh:

Depends on the wording in the contract, I'd imagine.  Maybe post it in LOFT and see what they say; people there probably have more experience with it?  Not sure  :sad:

I don't understand it here. I paid a 부동산 to move into my new digs. The contract is one year. 5 000 000W key money. I had to pay the 부동산 again when I moved out! The contract is done! I'm gone! I paid to find it and for......... someone else to find it?

The best part is, the cleaning fee was 40 000W. "Hey, can I clean it and not pay that?"

NO, YOU HAVE TO PAY IT.

Alright, then I'm not cleaning a single thing the last month that I live here.

"CO2, there is garbage in your apartment, it is very dirty."

Yup, I paid the 40 bucks. That's not my problem now.  :afro:

This is why you always make a cleaning charge OPTIONAL. It's spic and span? Don't charge me. I would clean it up for 40$. If I have to pay it anyway, why would I lift one, single, solitary finger to make it look good?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #681 on: April 12, 2016, 02:31:15 PM »
Middle of the week Friday is best Friday.  ;D However...

Will everything be closed tomorrow? When I'm hungover and thirsty will I be able to go and purchase supplies, or should I just prepare in advance and hunker down for 24hrs?

Seriously though, can someone give me a straight answer to this?

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #682 on: April 12, 2016, 02:59:38 PM »
Banks and post offices closed.  Almost everything else business as usual.  People still gotta eat.

At home they have a sausage sizzle at the voting boothes.  It was great, go vote (or not vote, just get your name ticked off) and then give a buck or two and get a sausage on bread, perhaps even some fried onion too.  Money goes to a charity or the local school that is hosting the voting.   But then again we didn't get the day off, it just happened on a Saturday.  You win an little, you lose a little.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #683 on: April 12, 2016, 03:17:20 PM »
I know it's not Friday but a quick question...

If you pay for your own apartment here, is it really your responsibility to find the next tenant if you want your key money back??

So you could potentially not get it back if you/the landlord can't find a new tenant?

:huh:

Depends on the wording in the contract, I'd imagine.  Maybe post it in LOFT and see what they say; people there probably have more experience with it?  Not sure  :sad:

I don't understand it here. I paid a 부동산 to move into my new digs. The contract is one year. 5 000 000W key money. I had to pay the 부동산 again when I moved out! The contract is done! I'm gone! I paid to find it and for......... someone else to find it?

The best part is, the cleaning fee was 40 000W. "Hey, can I clean it and not pay that?"

NO, YOU HAVE TO PAY IT.

Alright, then I'm not cleaning a single thing the last month that I live here.

"CO2, there is garbage in your apartment, it is very dirty."

Yup, I paid the 40 bucks. That's not my problem now.  :afro:

This is why you always make a cleaning charge OPTIONAL. It's spic and span? Don't charge me. I would clean it up for 40$. If I have to pay it anyway, why would I lift one, single, solitary finger to make it look good?

CO2 is my favorite poster on this whole site  :laugh:

Thank you, thank you. I aim to please.

You ain't so bad yourself.  :afro:

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #684 on: April 12, 2016, 03:25:20 PM »

[PICTURE]

Omfg that little picture how-to made me cringe so badly for some reason :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #685 on: April 14, 2016, 11:12:59 AM »
I know it's not Friday but...

So I found out this morning I have an open class next week! Thankfully I was told ahead of time. My coT told me to just do what I normally do, so looks like we're not gonna "put on a show" or anything. Still, kinda nervous, it being my first one.

And it's with the Grade 2's who are the most well behaved/obedient. They can be lively without getting too crazy (sometimes the Grade 3's get a little rambunctious).

Fingers crossed it'll all go well... apparently I'm the first NET at my main school so I'm hoping the parents don't have high expectations, hahahah

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #686 on: April 14, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »

[PICTURE]

Omfg that little picture how-to made me cringe so badly for some reason :laugh:

Same :laugh: :laugh:

I think it's the complacent smile :lipsrsealed:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #687 on: April 14, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »
I know it's not Friday but...

So I found out this morning I have an open class next week! Thankfully I was told ahead of time. My coT told me to just do what I normally do, so looks like we're not gonna "put on a show" or anything. Still, kinda nervous, it being my first one.

And it's with the Grade 2's who are the most well behaved/obedient. They can be lively without getting too crazy (sometimes the Grade 3's get a little rambunctious).

Fingers crossed it'll all go well... apparently I'm the first NET at my main school so I'm hoping the parents don't have high expectations, hahahah

Don't worry about it; you'll be fine! Open classes seem like a big deal when you first do them, but the more you do, the more relaxed you'll be. :) I've done a little over 10 open classes in the 2.25 years that I've been here so far, and honestly, they're nothing to get stressed out about (unless your co-teacher makes it stressful... in which case, there, there...). I don't have any actual useful advice, though. :laugh: Just thought I'd chime in to say good luck and no worries!

Offline reudibeat

• Veteran
« Reply #688 on: April 15, 2016, 01:40:07 PM »
I snagged some snacks from the teacher's lounge and brought them to the English office for my co-workers. However, I wanted extra for myself and I don't have any pockets today so I literally stuffed snacks in my bra. My hunger blocked out any forethought and I am now sitting in my office with those little lotus cookies in my bra with no real plan on how to get them out without anyone noticing.

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #689 on: April 15, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »
I snagged some snacks from the teacher's lounge and brought them to the English office for my co-workers. However, I wanted extra for myself and I don't have any pockets today so I literally stuffed snacks in my bra. My hunger blocked out any forethought and I am now sitting in my office with those little lotus cookies in my bra with no real plan on how to get them out without anyone noticing.

That is so hilarious! Luckily, my co-t just left the classroom because I laughed out loud at your predicament. I was given a baked potato once, like the minute I was leaving school. I didn't want to eat it and didn't know where to put it, so I shoved it into my (empty) water bottle. Ugh. Was so weird and embarrassing I had to send photographic evidence to my sister back home
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline TeresaD

• Veteran
« Reply #690 on: April 15, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »
We have a large box of lost pencils in our classroom. Whenever one of my students doesn't have a pencil with them, I bust out the box and they can use one of the pencils. At lesson end, they return them. It's a big box and they usually scratch around for awhile trying to find the sharpest one. So, since my double was cancelled, I decided to sharpen all the pencils in the box. So far I've done 43 and I think I am about halfway, through. It's wonderfully therapeutic and, weirdly, a great way to start my weekend  :P
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer" - Albert Camus

Offline iseya

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #691 on: April 18, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
How are there so many churches in Korea?   In the small I live in, I can literally see 4 churches in all directions just from in front of my apartment. There are many more around town.  They aren't small churches. They're giant.  How do they get the money to build all of these churches and keep them going? 

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #692 on: April 18, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »
How are there so many churches in Korea?   In the small I live in, I can literally see 4 churches in all directions just from in front of my apartment. There are many more around town.  They aren't small churches. They're giant.  How do they get the money to build all of these churches and keep them going?

By fleecing the congregations, obviously.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #693 on: April 18, 2016, 01:08:17 PM »
I ask this everyday. Are they tax free here like in the US?

Even if that were the case, there's SO MANY.

On this note, why on earth would you open a cell store here? In Sanbon New Town there are 4 SKs, 4 KTs and 3 U Plus' and I can see ALL OF THEM from one vantage point.

How on earth does anyone make a profit? And this doesn't include any of the other phone shops, just the big 3! And I didn't walk around everywhere but there are probably more of the big 3 down the side alleys behind the main drag.

HOW

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #694 on: April 18, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »

It's the same where I live. I can see three from my apartment and the lady who works in the shop near my house has started to ask me 'Do you know Jesus-uh?' and tries to give me flyers/handouts, presumably about Jesus. She has also tried to get me to attend church...nope

Offline iseya

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #695 on: April 18, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
I have the same ask for HOW these guys make profit.
Churches, cell phone shops, anddd in my town. ..hair salons. I don't get the business plan here.
Let's put 3 Lotterias in this subway station and 2 hair salons DIRECTLY across from one another~we can fight over all the invisible customers!

Offline johnny russian

• The Legend
« Reply #696 on: April 18, 2016, 02:05:48 PM »

By fleecing the congregations, obviously.

"congregation please be seated, and open your prayer guides to the Book of Revelations Psalm 69"

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #697 on: April 18, 2016, 02:35:47 PM »
For some reason my coT suddenly decided her name is spelled differently. I was finishing up a lesson plan for our open class and she asked me to add "Instructors" with our names. I spelled her name the way she'd originally told me (back when getting her phone number) but she said she spells it differently. What??

Also, can it be Friday already?

Offline Nivea

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #698 on: April 18, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »
For some reason my coT suddenly decided her name is spelled differently. I was finishing up a lesson plan for our open class and she asked me to add "Instructors" with our names. I spelled her name the way she'd originally told me (back when getting her phone number) but she said she spells it differently. What??

Also, can it be Friday already?

In Korean or English? I mean maybe she found a new "cool" way to spell it and decided on that. I had an Aunt who changed the spelling of her name from "Pam" to "Palm"....like WTF?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #699 on: April 18, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
In English. Yeah, and maybe she thinks it looks better for whomever is gonna look at the lesson plan... not that I can foresee anyone actually looking at it, hahah