November 17, 2018, 02:04:37 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 812678 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4640 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
Take it. Take it all. Then go feed it to the ducks and maybe one day you will have the chance to be as epik as this dude:

Very 오리지널

A duck/떡 joke
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #4641 on: February 06, 2018, 08:56:33 AM »
Alternatively, you can be as cool as that guy in the korean expat urban myth who lived a lonely life on Jeju, found a cute little duckling to keep him company, and raised it as he would his own child. Then, after he finally was forced to leave the luch tropical paradise that is the Hawai'i of Korea, he found that he couldn't bear to leave the poor thing behind, as the duck would not be able to survive on its own. So he ate it. The end.

If anybody can find the link to this old story, please post it 'cause I can't find it!

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4642 on: February 06, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »
The idea of physical fitness outside of hiking and walking is definitely picking up momentum here, at least in my area. My gym has seriously picked up in business, and the cold is not keeping anyone away.

And I'm normally really annoyed by peacocking but last night there were so many guys doing it that I felt like I was in a mecha cartoon, and there's something to be appreciated about that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:23:44 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4643 on: February 06, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »
The idea of physical fitness outside of hiking and walking is definitely picking up momentum here, at least in my area. My gym has seriously picked up in business, and the cold is not keeping anyone away.

And I'm normally really annoyed by peacocking but last night there were so many guys doing it that I felt like I was in a mecha cartoon, and there's something to be appreciated about that.

What's peacocking? :o

You're lucky you have a gym in your area. The nearest gym to me, is about an hour away by bus. So it's hard for me to exercise regularly here. :'( However, I'm planning to buy some weights and stuff to exercise at home :D

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4644 on: February 06, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »

You're lucky you have a gym in your area. The nearest gym to me, is about an hour away by bus. So it's hard for me to exercise regularly here. :'( However, I'm planning to buy some weights and stuff to exercise at home :D

It's both the best and the worst thing you'll see in a gym or club/bar here. Maybe I see a disproportionate amount of it because I'm a foreign woman, but it's still very common.

And even luckier that my gym is 24 hours. Like real 24 hours, none of that fake 24 hours where the gyms still close at, like, 11PM or midnight, and how dafuq does that even work?

Anyway, yeah, I'd actually like to invest in a bowflex or something like it but my place doesn't have the space for it. I would find myself a new place that could fit one, though, if there were no gyms in my area.  :cry:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:59:57 AM by Chinguetti »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4645 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »
I like how you edited it from DBZ to a mecha cartoon.

Well it made more sense, in my mind. xD

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4646 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »

It's both the best and the worst thing you'll see in a gym or club/bar here. Maybe I see a disproportionate amount of it because I'm a foreign woman, but it's still very common.

And even luckier that my gym is 24 hours. Like real 24 hours, none of that fake 24 hours where the gyms still close at, like, 11PM or midnight, and how dafuq does that even work?

Anyway, yeah, I'd actually like to invest in a bowflex or something like it but my place doesn't have the space for it. I would find myself a new place that could fit one, though, if there were no gyms in my area.  :cry:

I like the Austin powers one more hahaha. Thanks for showing me, I had never heard of peacocking until today haha.

I'm lucky, one of the perks of living super rural, is all the apartments here, are designed for a small - medium sized family, so I have the space for some stuff. I was just thinking of getting a couple dumbells and a barbell, and some weights I can use with them. Maybe a compact contraption that could be used as a bench too. :D (depending on the cost)

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4647 on: February 07, 2018, 08:39:40 AM »
I like the Austin powers one more hahaha. Thanks for showing me, I had never heard of peacocking until today haha.

Yeah, it's not really much of an exaggeration in some cases. xD Last month I had the pleasure of watching some WWE-level shenanigans. Would have been cute if they weren't being so serious about it.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4648 on: February 07, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »
Guess who's back?
Back in June
Indo's back
I'm her friend

Guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back............... DA NA NA

But seriously, I've dealt with two friends calling me this week wanting to kill themselves, my family has a really dark secret that I now know about (that's private, don't even ask) and now she's moving back here in June to work.

Can my life be uneventful for ten fukking minutes? When you have this many friends/people rely on you, I suppose you get more curveballs than everyone else. Jesus. Hahahaha thank god I have a sense of humour to get me through all this insane shit.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4649 on: February 08, 2018, 08:35:01 AM »
I bought a box of coffee-flavored truffles that I thought was a truffle-flavored coffee. Was disappointed with it and myself for not paying more attention.

Ranted to a friend about it and she thought I was talking about a mushroom-infused coffee, which I told her doesn't exist, and she came back at me with this, and I told her that was a soup and that not everything with the word "cappuccino" in it is a coffee LEARNTOREADG'DAMNIT I JUST MADE THE SAME MISTAKE.

But now I want to make it, and I'm torn because I don't have truffle oil and I don't want to buy any.  :sad:

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4650 on: February 08, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
I bought a box of coffee-flavored truffles that I thought was a truffle-flavored coffee. Was disappointed with it and myself for not paying more attention.

Ranted to a friend about it and she thought I was talking about a mushroom-infused coffee, which I told her doesn't exist, and she came back at me with this, and I told her that was a soup and that not everything with the word "cappuccino" in it is a coffee LEARNTOREADG'DAMNIT I JUST MADE THE SAME MISTAKE.

But now I want to make it, and I'm torn because I don't have truffle oil and I don't want to buy any.  :sad:

https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/truffle-oil-fake-no-truffles-priceonomics

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4651 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/national/truffle-oil-fake-no-truffles-priceonomics

What would you replace it with, then?

I found some truffle oil with actual truffles floating around inside, certified infused. But it was ridiculous expensive, and I don't want to spend that much on an oil I'll barely use.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4652 on: February 08, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »

I found some truffle oil with actual truffles floating around inside, certified infused. But it was ridiculous expensive, and I don't want to spend that much on an oil I'll barely use.

put some mud in it.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4653 on: February 08, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »

To be fair, when reading this, my mind immediately to mushrooms also. Though that could have been because I read the replies about truffle oil first.

I've never knowingly had truffle oil cooked foods, though all of the cooking shows have made me want to try truffle oil pasta.

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #4654 on: February 08, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »

Olive oil, mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4655 on: February 08, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
Deskwarming gets a bit of a bad rap around here, but I've honestly never really had a problem with it. It gives me time to catch up on all the stuff I've been meaning to watch, which is what I'd be doing if I was allowed to stay home anyway, except I'm wearing pants.

One downside I've discovered to catching up on shows here at work - apart from having to wear pants, obviously - is having to deal with coworkers who are unfamiliar with the concept of "inside voices."

Every day so far this week, I've had to stop watching whatever it was I was watching for about 45 minutes, starting at 12:30. That's when a group of guys comes in to have coffee and shoot the shit. At first I tried just turning up the volume to drown them out, but I had to turn it up to the point that it was actually painful before I could no longer hear their conversation over my headphones.

This isn't some huge group, either. It's three people. You know that old SNL skit where Willl Farrell's character had voice immodulation disorder? It's like that. Now I've taken to just pausing my shows and putting on some intense, wall-of-sound-style death metal. It doesn't drown them out completely, but it at least overwhelms my sense of hearing enough that I barely notice their conversation.

Honestly, I get why they want to kick back and bullsh!t for a bit. Heck, I wish my Korean was good enough to be able to socialize with my coworkers in a more meaningful way. If I did, though, I'd attempt to do so at a sensible volume level.

...and before anyone jumps down my throat, no, I'm not accusing all Koreans of this behavior, or saying that people from other countries are never loud indoors. I'm just complaining about this particular group of guys at this specific school.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4656 on: February 08, 2018, 12:06:08 PM »
...and before anyone jumps down my throat, no, I'm not accusing all Koreans of this behavior, or saying that people from other countries are never loud indoors. I'm just complaining about this particular group of guys at this specific school.

Who on earth could this be for, I wonder?  :laugh:

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4657 on: February 08, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »

Who on earth could this be for, I wonder?  :laugh:

You beat me to it, i was going to call it the "DeMartino Discalimer"

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4658 on: February 09, 2018, 08:37:09 AM »

To be fair, when reading this, my mind immediately to mushrooms also. Though that could have been because I read the replies about truffle oil first.

I've never knowingly had truffle oil cooked foods, though all of the cooking shows have made me want to try truffle oil pasta.

A couple of years ago, we had a family holiday in Italy with my family.  My younger bro was well into truffle oil, but after the first couple of days of putting it in most things, people got sick of the smell and taste of it.  Most definitely an acquired taste.
Which is partly why I've never had it. I'm worried that after dropping all the money on a truffle-oil anything, I won't like it. Though, I do like mushrooms and I'm not a picky eater, so it may be a baseless worry.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4659 on: February 09, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »

A couple of years ago, we had a family holiday in Italy with my family.  My younger bro was well into truffle oil, but after the first couple of days of putting it in most things, people got sick of the smell and taste of it.  Most definitely an acquired taste.
Which is partly why I've never had it. I'm worried that after dropping all the money on a truffle-oil anything, I won't like it. Though, I do like mushrooms and I'm not a picky eater, so it may be a baseless worry.
Have you ever been to What A Salad in Itaewon? If you like salads, it might be a good chance for you to try truffle oil bc, you can ask for it on the side. Yes a bit pricey, but just a suggestion~ So if you don't like the truffle oil you didn't ruin your whole salad. Btw, if you do like it, still don't use all of the side oil, it's probably too much.