December 18, 2018, 03:17:54 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 856172 times)

Online DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #4380 on: November 28, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
there's nothing that makes me more annoyed than when students say "teacher, not fun", regardless of whether it's a game or not. i'm not sure how they even have the audacity to say it; i certainly wouldn't have even dreamt to say something like that at school. a surefire way that that student won't be partaking in any more group activities for the rest of class

That's what my teacher would have said

:police: (but smaller): Teacher, this is not fun.

:-* Obviously, we're conjugating 7 prime verbs in the conditional, je, tu, il/elle, nous, vous, ils/elles 10 times each. It will take an hour. Why on earth would you even begin to consider this as a fun activity. Now shut up and start writing, you'll thank me when you you go to Quebec on vacation and have French friends in Korea later in life.

:police: (but smaller and a little red in the face): What's a Korea?
you've never spent time preparing something more fun than the textbook activities, only for kids to complain about it before they've even tried it? that's what i hate

Oh of course,. Drives me nuts. We didn't play games in school. We shut up and did our work, and if you acted up you got a bad mark and your French was shit and you looked like an idiot.

This isn't to sound arrogant, but I think I was fortunate to be in the French program because the idiots didn't last too long in there. So the classes were all fairly bright kids and the slower kids, or ones who couldn't focus, got transferred back to the English stream. Games we did not play.

I always got poor grades in French, didn't have any immersion or intrinsic motivation to learn it, and only had French like twice a week, until grade 10, when I dropped it. My French is not good.

And yet I could understand about 90% of the joke you wrote without having to look up any kind of translation.

And yet, here we are...

Even where I grew up, in Montreal (a predominantly French city), being in full French immersion from K till 4th grade, then French classes in junior high, high school and through CEGEP, only about 30-40% (maybe??) of the (anglo) kids would be considered fluent by the end of it. And this in a place where FRENCH WAS EVERYWHERE.

And most of those who did get somewhat decent at it (like me), had been lucky enough to be given other opportunities to use French IRL situations pretty consistently. I don't think it has much to do with smarts, self-discipline maybe, but motivation caused by opportunity and necessity of use.

That being said, I don't remember French class being a time for games and "tricks" to get us to learn, either. If anything French class was pretty "old-school" with the rote memorizing and endless copying. You did the work and then you succeeded or failed accordingly. It was no NET Englishee class, that's for sure  :P

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4381 on: November 28, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
I have now deduced that I need one of them pedal things that records loops. 

Electric is a whole new world.  It's like playing a new instrument that I'm magically already proficient in.

The Digitech RP 255 is a great and cheap place to start (it was for me). Effects pedal with looper at a very cheap price. Look into it!

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4382 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:19 PM »

Electric is a whole new world.  It's like playing a new instrument that I'm magically already proficient in.

The Digitech RP 255 is a great and cheap place to start (it was for me). Effects pedal with looper at a very cheap price. Look into it!

A looper?
My vote goes to the ditto looper. It's half the price, true bypass, takes up 2-3 fingers of pedal board real estate and has a single switch (as simple as it gets to operate).

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4383 on: November 29, 2017, 07:49:31 AM »
i think i'm just sick of teaching kids tbh

I think it is just the time of the year.  Finally, getting to the end of the long hard year and we're tired, and the holidays are around the corner.  Good thing is, my high school students are also tired but still plugging away.  I'd imagine elementary kids are always on it, so there's no let up in the energy you need.

I too am also sick of teaching/kids.  I'm in elementary, it's true they don't let up, but at this time of year they just don't focus, everything is even more chaotic than usual.  Mayhem. Chaos.  Chaotic mayhem.  But I'm over it.  I'm just surprised I don't have a constant headache from the noise.  The screaming. The chaotic screaming mayhem.

Offline 미국인병

• Veteran
  • Prince of the PC방
« Reply #4384 on: November 29, 2017, 08:25:37 AM »
i think i'm just sick of teaching kids tbh

I think it is just the time of the year.  Finally, getting to the end of the long hard year and we're tired, and the holidays are around the corner.  Good thing is, my high school students are also tired but still plugging away.  I'd imagine elementary kids are always on it, so there's no let up in the energy you need.

I too am also sick of teaching/kids.  I'm in elementary, it's true they don't let up, but at this time of year they just don't focus, everything is even more chaotic than usual.  Mayhem. Chaos.  Chaotic mayhem.  But I'm over it.  I'm just surprised I don't have a constant headache from the noise.  The screaming. The chaotic screaming mayhem.

I talked about this in another thread, but I genuinely have no idea how people tolerate elementary school kids. My girlfriend adores ES kids; she's like, "aww well they're little, so they don't know any better, so I can forgive them!"
Maybe it's because she's Korean so if they act up she can have a thorough and genuine conversation on how they're being bad and why they should behave whereas I'm stuck attempting to keep the activities so engaging that they simply don't act up in the first place.

But seriously? It's fine cause they're little and they don't know better? I don't see how that changes anything; they're still really f***ing irritating.

Yes, I get middle schoolers can be assholes, but at least you can be a bit more mean to middle schoolers in return, and nevertheless, I prefer their apathy and existential dread over the screaming howls of 4th graders running down the halls being a danger to both themselves and everyone around them, crying out "No Jam!" because they don't like the particular theme of the telepathy game.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4385 on: November 29, 2017, 08:53:57 AM »

A looper?
My vote goes to the ditto looper. It's half the price, true bypass, takes up 2-3 fingers of pedal board real estate and has a single switch (as simple as it gets to operate).

Ditto looper looks more my speed.  I like simplicity.  (The RP255 is apparently discontinued now, so I wonder how long ago you started MWeb37  :P )

Though, I do think a pedal that includes the ability to make simple drum beats would be nice.  Nothing too fancy.

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4386 on: November 29, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
Do you know how I know you've been here a long time? You ask questions like this... You know how to play piano, right?

You don't like fish, right?
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4387 on: November 30, 2017, 07:16:16 AM »
I noticed that for the last few years, I gain weight in the spring and summer, so on holiday in the summer, I feel a little tubby.  Not fat, but at 6 foot and about 87kgs, I can feel it.  Then with no change in diet (vegetarian) and with less exercise (because of weekday night classes and the awful dust) I actually lose weight without noticing in the autumn and now, so in the winter holidays I'm much thinner, and feel it.  Maybe it's just me with the seasonal weight changes, but not sure why?
Iím the opposite.

Iím less inclined to walk places and more inclined to eat comfort food when the weather gets cold.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #4388 on: November 30, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »
Your body burns more calories when you are cold. But I don't think that would lead to noticeable weight loss.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4389 on: November 30, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »
You say no change in diet, but the vegetarian dining options aren't as good in the winter.

Offline koreakorea

• Veteran
« Reply #4390 on: November 30, 2017, 08:36:36 AM »
You say no change in diet, but the vegetarian dining options aren't as good in the winter.

Yeah, there's less available in the winter.  I worked as a chef in Sweden for four years and couple that with my mum educating me well about how to eat healthily as a vegetarian, I make sure I get all the vitamins etc that I need.  I can't eat junk food here in Korea, as there is no vegetarian option available.  But I still eat egg and chips, pizza, my naughty nachos on Fridays, are a few so I still have food that is high in calories.  Koreans always marvel a little at my frame, as they think all vegetarians are chopstick thin people.  One of my vps years ago saw me playing football and was amazed I could run and play really strongly.  It didn't know where to start when correcting him on that one.

Come on Dave; you're on course to win the November 2017 humble brag cup with a single post!! haha  :wink: :wink:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4391 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:20 PM »
I'm becoming increasingly more paranoid over my posts on this forum being too identifiable to me irl, so I'm thinking about trashing this account and starting over.

But then I lose my "Hero" status. These are hard decisions.

As for winter, I lose weight myself because I tend to become even more active than I already am. I love cold weather and I frolick in it whenever I can. I don't think my diet really changes all that much. I have a friend who tends to eat more meat and less starchy foods during cold weather, though, and that leads to weight-loss for her.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4392 on: November 30, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
I'm becoming increasingly more paranoid over my posts on this forum being too identifiable to me irl, so I'm thinking about trashing this account and starting over.

As for winter, I lose weight myself because I tend to become even more active than I already am. I love cold weather and I frolick in it whenever I can. I don't think my diet really changes all that much. I have a friend who tends to eat more meat and less starchy foods during cold weather, though, and that leads to weight-loss for her.

I had to change my identity once.... I was not always What?What? Now thankfully I couldn't care less if someone figures out who I am.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4393 on: November 30, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »

I had to change my identity once.... I was not always What?What? Now thankfully I couldn't care less if someone figures out who I am.

Yes, this is the correct mentality to hold. If people don't like your internet persona, fuck 'em.

And Chinguetti, please don't leave or change accounts, this place is already turning into a ghost town. Plus I'd miss your AJUMMA SMASH signature pic.  :smiley:

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4394 on: November 30, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »

I don't have a problem with fellow expats being able to indentify me.

I'm just concerned about Korean lurkers. There's a lot of pettiness afoot in the working world in general, and foreigners are easy targets here. Couple that with the fact that I do have some haters I have to deal with on a regular basis, and that's just drama I'd rather avoid. xD

And thanks, DMZ. xD Yeah, not too likely to delete my account unless I get a whiff of some bullshit irl that I might be able to trace back to waygook. So far, so good.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4395 on: November 30, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »
I think I might be the least concerned with my public persona here. haha
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4396 on: November 30, 2017, 01:24:21 PM »

I'm not sure there's even a public/private divide in your case, CO2 Kevin.  :smiley:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4397 on: November 30, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »

I'm not sure there's even a public/private divide in your case, CO2 Kevin.  :smiley:

But you'll never get my reddit name! EVER

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #4398 on: November 30, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #4399 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
I am so goddamn bored.

Then post your reddit name and give us a target to aim for.