April 22, 2018, 05:24:23 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 599127 times)

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3760 on: June 15, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
I wish people would remember that the past tense of sneak is sneaked, and that there is a difference between a principle and a principal.
The past tense of drag is dragged.

No, I didn't read these on here today.  These were in news articles.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:23:44 PM by denimdaze »

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3761 on: June 15, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »
What do you get someone who hates everything and everyone?

korean socks and/or korean t-shirts. i used to have a shirt i bought from one of those ajumma stall in itaewon that said "eat shit and die motherfukcer" on it in big letters. and it had a smiley face on it too. sounds like it would suit your dad  :P

Lol tempting.... My mom would have a hissy fit if it said something like that but i'm not there to witness the fallout so I don't care... I could at least get him some trump socks... That way everyone knows that We shall overcomb...
I remember when I found those in Namdaemun like a week after the election and I couldn't stop laughing. The ajeossi was a bit confused so my bf had to explain why I was laughing at them so much.
At lunch there was a girl wearing a shirt that said "Bitch please, I'm fabulous" with a picture of Marie from Aristocats. I busted up laughing and my CT was so confused. After I explained it, she called the girl over to explain why she shouldn't wear the shirt. The look on the student's face almost made me bust up again. She literally had no fucks to give about whatever English nonsense was on her shirt.
Hahaha, I quite like that one.  :laugh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #3762 on: June 15, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »
I wish people would remember that the past tense of sneak is sneaked, and that there is a difference between a principle and a principal.

No, I didn't read these on here today.  There were in news articles.

Waygook.org user denimdaze, 'sneaked' is indeed a past tense form of 'sneak,' but 'snuck' is also an acceptable past tense or past participle of 'sneak.'

Is stuck the past tense of steak?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3763 on: June 15, 2017, 03:30:50 PM »

Waygook.org user denimdaze, 'sneaked' is indeed a past tense form of 'sneak,' but 'snuck' is also an acceptable past tense or past participle of 'sneak.'

If you CLAIM it is.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #3764 on: June 15, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »

If you CLAIM it is.

IS THAT SEXUAL HARASSMENT?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3765 on: June 15, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
If you CLAIM it is.
IS THAT SEXUAL HARASSMENT?
I hate to disappoint you, but I don't think it it.  :sad:

Offline denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3766 on: June 15, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »

I refuse to accept it.   :evil:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3767 on: June 15, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »
A student found a metal spoon under my desk.

It's really fancy. Not your run-of-the-mill Emart spoon.

I asked around. No one seems to want to claim it. Now I'm stuck with this extraordinary spoon that's far too pretty to throw away.

I think I'll let Ryan use it as a wand.

Pics or it ain't real

Hah, sorry, didn't see this earlier. Left it at the school, still trying to figure out how I can get my Ryan to hold it without using tape or anything obvious. I'll take a picture as soon as I can get that to happen because you must see the magic in its entirety.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:18:31 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3768 on: June 16, 2017, 07:27:56 AM »
What happened to the miyeokguk thread...

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3769 on: June 16, 2017, 07:31:17 AM »
Is dressing in drag considered cultural appropriation?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #3770 on: June 16, 2017, 07:46:42 AM »

No one cares.

OMG, this is racially insensitive.

Why do some people think Mexicans have the thinnest skin ever?

To answer your question, yes, it makes them a bigoted fascist. /s 

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3771 on: June 16, 2017, 07:49:24 AM »

I'm sure there are certain people who would argue that. I believe a lot of feminist make a claim similar to that when transgender people dress in retrograde (from a feminist perspective) outfits and perpetuate a narrow, "sexy" standard of femininity, as was the backlash from many in the feminist community when Bruce-turned-Caitlin Jenner posed for the cover of Vogue for her coming out party.

On the subject of cultural appropriation, just read this from the NYTimes this morning, and it's ridic:
Katy Perry turned herself into a reality star to promote her new album, “Witness.” Perry put herself on a live-streamed trial for 96 hours, while she sang, cooked, attended a therapy session and cried her way through an interview with the activist DeRay Mckesson, lamenting her history of cultural appropriation (she dressed up as a geisha during a 2013 live performance, among other missteps).

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Hopeless Romantic
« Reply #3772 on: June 16, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »
Katy Perry turned herself into a reality star to promote her new album, “Witness.” Perry put herself on a live-streamed trial for 96 hours, while she sang, cooked, attended a therapy session and cried her way through an interview with the activist DeRay Mckesson, lamenting her history of cultural appropriation (she dressed up as a geisha during a 2013 live performance, among other missteps).

EVERY SINGLE JAPANESE PERSON I MET IN JAPAN LOVED THE FACT THAT I WAS WEARING A KIMONO.

If you're offended by shit like that, ask the source if they give a shit or not. And if they don't, then you can't care either.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3773 on: June 16, 2017, 07:57:51 AM »
What happened to the miyeokguk thread...

looks like it got deleted by the mods.

wtf.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3774 on: June 16, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »

EVERY SINGLE JAPANESE PERSON I MET IN JAPAN LOVED THE FACT THAT I WAS WEARING A KIMONO.

If you're offended by shit like that, ask the source if they give a shit or not. And if they don't, then you can't care either.

A lot of people automatically equate "cultural appropriation" with racism and honestly I think that just detracts from actual racism. Is it sometimes poor taste? Sure. But maybe focus on more serious issues.

Though if someone sees a caucasian person with dreads and thinks "cool!" but then sees the same hairstyle on a black person and thinks "ghetto!" then I think that there are some internal biases someone needs to sort out. I feel like this kind of example is what people are actually mad about or should be rather than trying to own certain styles.

Offline Baby Aubergine

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3775 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »
I followed a Korean guy on social media for a while whose entire shtick was getting mad at foreigners for doing bibimbap wrong...probably reaching its peak when someone did a 'Thanksgiving bibimbap,' with yams in it and stuff

That got old reeeeeal fast

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #3776 on: June 16, 2017, 08:35:32 AM »

Though if someone sees a caucasian person with dreads and thinks "cool!"

I struggle to believe anyone thinks that

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3777 on: June 16, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »
I followed a Korean guy on social media for a while whose entire shtick was getting mad at foreigners for doing bibimbap wrong...probably reaching its peak when someone did a 'Thanksgiving bibimbap,' with yams in it and stuff

Yeah, I feel like there is only so much you can do with that. Are there that many people trying to do fusion bibimbaps, like the Thanksgiving? Or was he getting angry at people who put the gochujang in wrong?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3778 on: June 16, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »

I'm sure there are certain people who would argue that. I believe a lot of feminist make a claim similar to that when transgender people dress in retrograde (from a feminist perspective) outfits and perpetuate a narrow, "sexy" standard of femininity, as was the backlash from many in the feminist community when Bruce-turned-Caitlin Jenner posed for the cover of Vogue for her coming out party.

Here's my thinking.

If I am a man in drag, according to current convention, I am to be referred to as a "trans-woman", entitled to all the rights, privileges, and adornments of womanhood.

I am therefore allowed to play the victim card. Since I am a victim, I can no longer be the aggressor; hence no appropriation.

... but I appropriated the right to play the victim card.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3779 on: June 16, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »

Though if someone sees a caucasian person with dreads and thinks "cool!"

I struggle to believe anyone thinks that

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I feel like there is only so much you can do with that. Are there that many people trying to do fusion bibimbaps, like the Thanksgiving? Or was he getting angry at people who put the gochujang in wrong?

Korea bastardizes pizza and a good many other foods. Every country does it. Some results are pretty fly, whereas others... are at least edible, I suppose.

Magic Ears ESL
Work from home and teach English to Chinese Children online with Magic Ears!! Teach 25 minute group lessons in the morning or the evening! The base pay is $18-26 an hour! To be qualified for this position you will need to be a native speaker from the US or Canada. You can apply using the bottom link for priority viewing on your application. For more information, please join our Q and A group https://www.facebook.com/groups/MagicEarsQA/
https://t.mmears.com?referralCode=T142094