January 22, 2018, 06:42:28 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 468240 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #3540 on: May 01, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »
What a week!

We all know that today (May 1st) is Labour Day, Wednesday (3rd) is Budda's Birthday, and Friday (5th) is Children's day.

Most of you probably know that May the Forth, is Star Wars day.

But I just learned that May 2 is Scurvy Awareness day! So don't forget to raise a glass of OJ (perhaps with some vodka in it), and celebrate a whole week of holidays!

NB: I am self-employed, so even the red days aren't real holidays for me anyway.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3541 on: May 01, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
What a week!

We all know that today (May 1st) is Labour Day, Wednesday (3rd) is Budda's Birthday, and Friday (5th) is Children's day.

Most of you probably know that May the Forth, is Star Wars day.

But I just learned that May 2 is Scurvy Awareness day! So don't forget to raise a glass of OJ (perhaps with some vodka in it), and celebrate a whole week of holidays!

NB: I am self-employed, so even the red days aren't real holidays for me anyway.

I'm sorry to hear that. Grey proceeds to give JNM an Internet caesar.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3542 on: May 01, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
Yeah, super looking forward to it, I've got an entire week off beginning on Wednesday since my schools don't see the point of having classes in the middle of all that. Summer vacation just isn't soon enough.

Wish the kids here could really understand the significance and importance of May 4th, though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3543 on: May 01, 2017, 09:50:36 AM »
Yeah, super looking forward to it, I've got an entire week off beginning on Wednesday since my schools don't see the point of having classes in the middle of all that. Summer vacation just isn't soon enough.

Wish the kids here could really understand the significance and importance of May 4th, though.
My bf's boss is a huuuge SW fan and he told him about May the Fourth be with you... I think he earned some brownie points, haha.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3544 on: May 01, 2017, 10:02:26 AM »

My bf's boss is a huuuge SW fan and he told him about May the Fourth be with you... I think he earned some brownie points, haha.

Geekdom is the universal culture.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3545 on: May 01, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »

Geekdom is the universal culture.
And I love it. I have a couple super geeky students I have bonded with over Marvel and DC.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #3546 on: May 02, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
If anyone can make it to Yeoju, beer is on me. Hahaha

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3547 on: May 02, 2017, 06:18:59 PM »
If anyone can make it to Yeoju, beer is on me. Hahaha

Pottery Festival soirée?

Offline KimDuHan

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3548 on: May 03, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »
I wish it was Friday! I need a good sleep

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3549 on: May 08, 2017, 07:49:11 AM »
Anyone got any sordid tales of time off they wish to share?

My friend biked from Seoul to Busan. I went to Yeoju for an overnighter. I knew, from the group chat that he woke up at 7:50 and was 62 km away upriver from me.

So............. I hid in the bushes at 11, judging his speed and breaks that he'd take.

Waited about 20 mins.

:P pops out of bushes WILL!

:shocked: God damn!

:P What's up, man?

:shocked: What on Earth are you doing here?

Hehehehe, and that's how I surprised my friend in middle of nowhere Korea.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3550 on: May 08, 2017, 07:57:12 AM »

My friend biked from Seoul to Busan. I went to Yeoju for an overnighter. I knew, from the group chat that he woke up at 7:50 and was 62 km away upriver from me.

So............. I hid in the bushes at 11, judging his speed and breaks that he'd take.

Waited about 20 mins.

:shocked: God damn!

:P What's up, man?

:shocked: What on Earth are you doing here?

Hehehehe, and that's how I surprised my friend in middle of nowhere Korea.

Stalker.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #3551 on: May 08, 2017, 07:59:54 AM »

Offline krissyboo75

• Expert Waygook
  • Please understand our unique culture~
« Reply #3552 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »
Its been about a week and a half since I taught classes. Was amazing to have so much time off due to red days...However today my mood is like... How do I teacher, again?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3553 on: May 08, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »

I'm pretty sure I would have fallen off my bike. I was doing the Geumgang path this weekend myself.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3554 on: May 08, 2017, 08:28:55 AM »
My CTs are so obsessed with marriage it's starting to rub off on me and I'm not even interested in getting married! But now I think of all their checklists they talk about like job, savings, whether or not a guys grandparents have a retirement fund, etc. (basically everything besides whether or not they actually like the guy) when I meet someone new. Honestly, it's kind of a buzzkill I think I need to distance myself from their constant stories.

Also, said CTs happen to not be here today and I have no idea if I'm supposed to come into work tomorrow or not...  :undecided:

Offline Skyehawks

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #3555 on: May 08, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »
tomorrow is a national holiday (just for this year only) because it is presidential election day. that day is normally in november. but with the impeachment it is now a holiday. Most adults will be voting that day so no school.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3556 on: May 08, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »
My SO and I decided that we would like to head out to Yeongdeok to check out Sunrise Park and hike the Blue Road.
   So we make our merry way over the freeways, enjoying the sunshine and the exfoliating effect of AQI 250 wind blowing in our faces.
 And then we get past Pohang and realize our mistake: we went on a road trip.... on a national holiday!
Oh god, the horror.
Bumper to bumper for a solid 2 and a half hours. And why? Because all these good folk are also set on hiking on such a gorgeous day? No. The traffic disappeared completely once we were past all the crab vendors. You know, the same crabs that you can buy at E-mart and Homeplus for half the price.  >:(

Also, I nearly killed a taxicab while running a stale orange light... but that hardly makes up for the hours of gridlock...

The hike sure was nice, though.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3557 on: May 08, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
Wondering something about Seoul immigration... I know it's best to have an appointment because waiting times are horrendous, but is it a requirement to have an appointment, or is it ok to just walk in too still? I had to go for a new ARC a few months ago and had no appointment and all was fine, but now I'm not so sure. I need to get an Entry and Exit Certificate (출입국사실증명).

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3558 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:55 PM »
Wondering something about Seoul immigration... I know it's best to have an appointment because waiting times are horrendous, but is it a requirement to have an appointment, or is it ok to just walk in too still? I had to go for a new ARC a few months ago and had no appointment and all was fine, but now 'm not so sure. I need to get an Entry and Exit Certificate (출입국사실증명).

There are signs all over the immigration office that you need an appointment. I know some people have managed to go without one, but I definitely wouldn't count on it. Making an appointment is pretty easy, so I'd do it just to be on the safe side, since you never know who you'll get there or what their mood is going to be like.
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking, but because of the projected wait time, was hoping not. Thanks.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3559 on: May 08, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »
There's a screaming baby chick in the teachers room right now. It's been passed around/frightened by) the kids all day, most likely terrified and now I get to hear it cry for the next few hours while they keep it in a tiny box :C Poor thing...