January 21, 2018, 02:21:49 PM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 467726 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2580 on: December 28, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »
Since my coteacher was being weird to me today and then my boss was being confrontational (sometimes my coteacher asks my boss to talk to me when she doesn't want to, so I suspect they're related) even though they said they'd help me figure out if I need to leave school early to get documents from the hospital, I decided I'd better not ask them.

So I just called the hospital all on my own and after asking if they had anyone who was good at English because I don't know how to properly ask my question in Korean and received a no I barrelled on anyways and conducted this whole conversation in Korean except for the words "reference letter" and by god was it terrifying.

I should write a book "Learn Speaking Confidence by Having No-One to Help You With Your Medical Problems"

Anyways, I have to arrive at the hospital by 4 in order to get copies of my MRI and a reference letter so I need to leave school early. Thank god, in a way, since I am real grumpy today and done with being here.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2581 on: December 28, 2016, 12:45:56 PM »
Since my coteacher was being weird to me today and then my boss was being confrontational (sometimes my coteacher asks my boss to talk to me when she doesn't want to, so I suspect they're related) even though they said they'd help me figure out if I need to leave school early to get documents from the hospital, I decided I'd better not ask them.

So I just called the hospital all on my own and after asking if they had anyone who was good at English because I don't know how to properly ask my question in Korean and received a no I barrelled on anyways and conducted this whole conversation in Korean except for the words "reference letter" and by god was it terrifying.

I should write a book "Learn Speaking Confidence by Having No-One to Help You With Your Medical Problems"

Anyways, I have to arrive at the hospital by 4 in order to get copies of my MRI and a reference letter so I need to leave school early. Thank god, in a way, since I am real grumpy today and done with being here.

Well, good for you for doing that. The only way your Korean will get better is if you try to use it, even though you'll fall flat on your face and be super frustrated a lot.

You can feel proud that you accomplished that. Making appointments is tricky.

I do feel proud. I just have trouble even making phone calls in English so it was scary.

Too bad I'm leaving, I feel like if I stayed here another year I could make some real progress, especially if I continued going out drinking till the wee hours of the morning with my swing dance friends.

Alas. (Not really, I'm so ready to be out of here. Maybe if I totally fail at getting a job back home I'll come back haha)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2582 on: December 28, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »
On another note, does anyone think it's possible to buy materials for making worms and dirt for 15 students for exactly 13,800 won?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2583 on: December 28, 2016, 02:04:44 PM »
Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, has passed away at the ripe old age of 96.

RIP

"My heart has joined the thousand for my friend stopped running today."

I rented the movie from the library when I was a child, thinking it was about cute bunnies. I was in for quite the surprise.
Oh lordy, I remember watching that movie when I was 6 or 7 and I have never gotten over it.

Sometimes the library is a bit off the mark in categorizing materials-- I don't think Watership Down belongs in the children's section, hahahah.

My friend works in a public library back home and said that one time they were guffawing over a copy of "Go the F*** to Sleep!" that some elderly librarian apparently listed as a "children's" book.  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2584 on: December 28, 2016, 02:59:33 PM »
On another note, does anyone think it's possible to buy materials for making worms and dirt for 15 students for exactly 13,800 won?

For the entire class?

That might be rather difficult, lol, but it would depend a lot on what materials you plan to use and would have to buy.

Are you going to try for pudding or ice cream?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:02:31 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2585 on: December 29, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »

For the entire class?

That might be rather difficult, lol, but it would depend a lot on what materials you plan to use and would have to buy.

Pudding

I might just chip in some of my own money to make it happen, though, because I really don't want to plan another day of class lmao

Plus making worms and dirt is literally the only thing that my coteacher who I'm doing camp with gave me positive feedback on

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2586 on: December 29, 2016, 07:51:34 AM »

For the entire class?

Pudding

I might just chip in some of my own money to make it happen, though, because I really don't want to plan another day of class lmao

Plus making worms and dirt is literally the only thing that my coteacher who I'm doing camp with gave me positive feedback on

Maybe you could calculate roughly how much it'll cost to make worms and dirt and then present the figure to your coT and see if there's some flexibility with budget. Sometimes there's a bit of money floating around. May be worth a shot! If not, you're back to square one anyway

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2587 on: December 29, 2016, 08:02:50 AM »

For the entire class?

Pudding

Maybe you could calculate roughly how much it'll cost to make worms and dirt and then present the figure to your coT and see if there's some flexibility with budget. Sometimes there's a bit of money floating around. May be worth a shot! If not, you're back to square one anyway

the budget is 58,300 and she's taking 40,000 for a pizza party on the last day  :rolleyes:

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2588 on: December 29, 2016, 08:03:57 AM »
There's a park that's not far from me as the crow flies, but because of the roundabout bus routes it takes an hour to get there. Last night I had a dream that somehow my friends and I accidentally ended up in a space shuttle which blasted off to some planet. When we got back to earth it turns out we landed in this park. It only took 19 minutes to get to that planet and back, and I was furious in my dream, because if I could make a space flight in less than 20 minutes why does it take an hour to get to that park?

Public transportation is great here because it goes everywhere, but the long travel times get old and now it's invading my dreams.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2589 on: December 29, 2016, 08:08:26 AM »
There's a park that's not far from me as the crow flies, but because of the roundabout bus routes it takes an hour to get there. Last night I had a dream that somehow my friends and I accidentally ended up in a space shuttle which blasted off to some planet. When we got back to earth it turns out we landed in this park. It only took 19 minutes to get to that planet and back, and I was furious in my dream, because if I could make a space flight in less than 20 minutes why does it take an hour to get to that park?

Public transportation is great here because it goes everywhere, but the long travel times get old and now it's invading my dreams.

When I was a kid, I would often fly, Peter-Pan-and-Wendy style, in my dreams.  Try that next time you are stuck.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2590 on: December 29, 2016, 08:46:12 AM »

When I was a kid, I would often fly, Peter-Pan-and-Wendy style, in my dreams.  Try that next time you are stuck.

Funny. I often find myself running but never getting very far.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2591 on: December 29, 2016, 08:55:49 AM »

This is seriously the worst, ugh.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2592 on: December 29, 2016, 10:02:55 AM »
Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, has passed away at the ripe old age of 96.

RIP

"My heart has joined the thousand for my friend stopped running today."

I rented the movie from the library when I was a child, thinking it was about cute bunnies. I was in for quite the surprise.
Oh lordy, I remember watching that movie when I was 6 or 7 and I have never gotten over it.

Sometimes the library is a bit off the mark in categorizing materials-- I don't think Watership Down belongs in the children's section, hahahah.

My friend works in a public library back home and said that one time they were guffawing over a copy of "Go the F*** to Sleep!" that some elderly librarian apparently listed as a "children's" book.  :laugh:
Oh absolutely. Cartoons do not always equal children. Also made that mistake with a manga once. >>

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2593 on: December 29, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
Oh absolutely. Cartoons do not always equal children. Also made that mistake with a manga once. >>

Back when I first discovered anime, I thought it was all DBZ and Sailor Moon kind of stuff.

Imagine my surprise when one of my brother's friends introduced me to a show that he'd described as a magical-girl anime about fighting demons. I think he laughed his ass off for a week at the look of horror on my face after I realized what kind of "fighting" was involved and that this was no kid's cartoon. xD

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2594 on: December 29, 2016, 10:14:44 AM »

Back when I first discovered anime, I thought it was all DBZ and Sailor Moon kind of stuff.

Imagine my surprise when one of my brother's friends introduced me to a show that he'd described as a magical-girl anime about fighting demons. I think he laughed his ass off for a week at the look of horror on my face after I realized what kind of "fighting" was involved and that this was no kid's cartoon. xD
Yeah, I stumbled upon some of the guy on guy type once thinking it was just a regular sports anime. Always made sure to look into them more after that, haha.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2595 on: December 29, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »

That happens to me mostly when I am awake.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapan
« Reply #2596 on: December 29, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »

Yeah, I stumbled upon some of the guy on guy type once thinking it was just a regular sports anime. Always made sure to look into them more after that, haha.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #2597 on: December 29, 2016, 10:44:33 AM »

That happens to me mostly when I am awake.

Haha.

I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no sidewalks

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2598 on: December 29, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »

A few times I was able to jump like Mario (a la N64 style, so it was especially cool). Sometimes I could fly like the dragon from Spirited Away. And very few times I was able to take control and shapeshift. Good times in dreamland~

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2599 on: December 29, 2016, 11:30:59 AM »

Urotsukidoji [Legend of the Overfiend]?