November 19, 2018, 02:45:10 AM

Author Topic: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.  (Read 814620 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: A thread for pointless Friday ramblings.
« Reply #2440 on: December 16, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »
I made some mac n cheese last night. Usually I throw some garlic in with the butter and it's just the best thing. Didn't have any last night and used garlic powder instead. It's not the same.  :sad:

omg you're going to give me a serious craving

The other day I made mac 'n cheese with hot dogs :D
Roasted the dogs in the toaster oven for maximum flavor~

omg how have I not thought of this

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2441 on: December 16, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
I made some mac n cheese last night. Usually I throw some garlic in with the butter and it's just the best thing. Didn't have any last night and used garlic powder instead. It's not the same.  :sad:

Mac n cheese grilled cheese is where it's at. (use cream cheese on the griled cheese too)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2442 on: December 16, 2016, 12:09:46 PM »
So I put together a Christmas playlist for class while we made giant 3D snowflakes. Whenever a commercial popped up, half the time it had the actor Gong Yoo and one of the girls in class would sigh loudly every time and go "Wow, Gong Yoo!!" which would prompt one of the boys in class to loudly declare "No!! He is ugly! I am more handsome than Gong Yoo!!"

Every time.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Wonder if those two are developing a special friendship, hahah

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2443 on: December 16, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »
I'm so close to Expert Waygook I can taste it

Just 13 more posts to go!!!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #2444 on: December 16, 2016, 12:17:05 PM »

Mac n cheese grilled cheese is where it's at. (use cream cheese on the griled cheese too)

Anyone ever had mozzarella cheese stick grilled cheese sandwiches with marinara dipping sauce? So good!!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2445 on: December 16, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
So I put together a Christmas playlist for class while we made giant 3D snowflakes. Whenever a commercial popped up, half the time it had the actor Gong Yoo and one of the girls in class would sigh loudly every time and go "Wow, Gong Yoo!!" which would prompt one of the boys in class to loudly declare "No!! He is ugly! I am more handsome than Gong Yoo!!"

Every time.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Wonder if those two are developing a special friendship, hahah

AKA Gender Studies majors. HEEEYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2446 on: December 16, 2016, 12:24:13 PM »
What is the best way to transport a fully formed gingerbread house from place to place? I'm kind of stuck.

You just gave me my idea for winter camp.  :-*
Making boxes?  :P

I got my kits from Ikea for 3900 because I cannot find, for the life of me, molasses anywhere in Korea. Plus it would be so much extra work, haha.

ikea.com?

I was going to make my own gingerbread (purchased molasses from iherb lol), but it would save me so much time and work if I can find cheap kits.
No, I actually went to Ikea. But their website may too, I dunno.

On iherb? Oh really? Last I looked, they only had blackstrap molasses which will definitely not work. Coupang also has only blackstrap, but they also have molasses sugar, which I have never seen before. I love molasses cookies, so I was thinking about buying that and giving it a try, but I'm not sure how the exchange for that would go.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2447 on: December 16, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »

On iherb? Oh really? Last I looked, they only had blackstrap molasses which will definitely not work. Coupang also has only blackstrap, but they also have molasses sugar, which I have never seen before. I love molasses cookies, so I was thinking about buying that and giving it a try, but I'm not sure how the exchange for that would go.

Oh, the physical location in Seoul has gingerbread house kits? Nice! I'll have to swing by soon.

Yeah, I asked because the online site for Korea doesn't offer them, so I wasn't sure if I was searching wrong, like maybe they had them labeled as something else or that they just stopped selling them.

And yeah, I've gotten the blackstrap, which, when I tried it out, still gave me delicious cookies. I mean the smell makes it seem like it won't work, but, at least with the recipe I used, they turned out just fine. Probably not as good if I had another kind of molasses, but still decent, and if it's too strong for some they don't have to use as much. I've also made gingerbread cookies by substituting molasses with chestnut honey, and those turned out good, too. The taste was a little different, but it still worked.

Not sure about the molasses sugar, never tried it myself, but now I think I might give it a go, too.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:41:17 PM by Chinguetti »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #2448 on: December 16, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »

Not sure about the molasses sugar, never tried it myself, but now I think I might give it a go, too.

My wife picked a box of Billington's.  Let me know how it turns out... not sure how to sub it in.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2449 on: December 16, 2016, 12:48:38 PM »

My wife picked a box of Billington's.  Let me know how it turns out... not sure how to sub it in.

Will do.

Which reminds me, I still need to make the mayo chocolate cake and report on that. I'm just afraid that it'll taste so good that I'll end up eating it all in a day.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2450 on: December 16, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »

Will do.

Which reminds me, I still need to make the mayo chocolate cake and report on that. I'm just afraid that it'll taste so good that I'll end up eating it all in a day.

you can invite me over to help you eat it  :P

Offline Challen13

• Adventurer
« Reply #2451 on: December 16, 2016, 01:29:26 PM »
FRIDAY! YAY! ;D

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #2452 on: December 16, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »
you can invite me over to help you eat it  :P

Sorry to say that it would probably be a wasted trip because it would be gone before you could get here. xD

Good chocolate cake is a weakness.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2453 on: December 16, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
I'm cold and unhappy

coooooooooooold

apparently it's ridiculously cold back home though and they got a bunch of snow, I feel like I should be thankful but at least they TURN ON THE HEAT in the buildings

I was complaining about the cold to one of my cots and she was like "Isn't it colder where you're from?" I told her yes, but we actually use the heat

"Even in schools?" Yes, especially in schools! The parents would get angry if their children were cold in school!

"But it costs so much money" Yes, and the stereotype in America is that if you don't have the heat on in the winter it means you're poor AF and no one wants to think the school is poor

".....but saving money is more important"

MY COLD BUTT IS IMPORTANT

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #2454 on: December 16, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »
I'm cold and unhappy

coooooooooooold

apparently it's ridiculously cold back home though and they got a bunch of snow, I feel like I should be thankful but at least they TURN ON THE HEAT in the buildings

I was complaining about the cold to one of my cots and she was like "Isn't it colder where you're from?" I told her yes, but we actually use the heat

"Even in schools?" Yes, especially in schools! The parents would get angry if their children were cold in school!

"But it costs so much money" Yes, and the stereotype in America is that if you don't have the heat on in the winter it means you're poor AF and no one wants to think the school is poor

WEAR A SWEATER AND STOP COMPLAINING

-Koreans and dads everywhere
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #2455 on: December 16, 2016, 02:20:41 PM »
2 hours of school left and not a thing to do. I finished the internet today.  It took a while, but I did it.   :undecided:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2456 on: December 16, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
I'm cold and unhappy

coooooooooooold

[img]

WEAR A SWEATER AND STOP COMPLAINING

-Koreans and dads everywhere

TRU

Also I am wearing a sweater. And a long sleeve shirt underneath. And a jacket. And a scarf

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2457 on: December 16, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
2 hours of school left and not a thing to do. I finished the internet today.  It took a while, but I did it.   :undecided:

My ass hurts from sitting too much today.  :-[  If this desk gets any warmer it'll burst into flames!

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2458 on: December 16, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »

My ass hurts from sitting too much today.  :-[  If this desk gets any warmer it'll burst into flames!

No doubt. I did play table tennis with the PE teacher earlier, and that helped a little.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2459 on: December 16, 2016, 03:10:26 PM »

Oh, the physical location in Seoul has gingerbread house kits? Nice! I'll have to swing by soon.

Yeah, I asked because the online site for Korea doesn't offer them, so I wasn't sure if I was searching wrong, like maybe they had them labeled as something else or that they just stopped selling them.

And yeah, I've gotten the blackstrap, which, when I tried it out, still gave me delicious cookies. I mean the smell makes it seem like it won't work, but, at least with the recipe I used, they turned out just fine. Probably not as good if I had another kind of molasses, but still decent, and if it's too strong for some they don't have to use as much. I've also made gingerbread cookies by substituting molasses with chestnut honey, and those turned out good, too. The taste was a little different, but it still worked.

Yeah, I have read that honey and maple syrup will both work as substitutes for molasses, but I feel like that would make it too sweet, mixing that with the sugar. But you did it and it worked out fine? I should try it then, because molasses is a close close second favorite cookie, to peanut butter.

And I'm actually really surprised that blackstrap worked! I always found it to be too thick and bitter. Maybe I will still give it a go.

@moonbrie- get a butt toaster pad. They are wonderful.